Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Best time of day to catch fish.  (Read 581 times)

Offline markw

• Charter Member
Best time of day to catch fish.
« on: December 06, 2013, 05:52:16 AM »
What is the best time of day/night to catch fish?I've had good luck from sunrise till mid morning and late afternoon.Does anyone have any luck at night? u:) u:)

Ice Fishing 24/7

Best time of day to catch fish.
« on: December 06, 2013, 05:52:16 AM »

Offline Kevin in maine

• Ice Man
Re: Best time of day to catch fish.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 06:00:05 AM »
Like most people I have caught fish at all times of day but the first couple of hours seem to be the best.
Either catch your limit or run out of daylight trying.

Offline CaptSpike

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:18:34 AM »
Depending on species I also found most lakes first light is best. that being said I have a couple lakes I fish that you shouldn't bother showing up till 8:30am as you never seem to catch anything before then.

Spike
I catch fish........It's what I do.....
Experience.....There is no substitute.
So many fish.............so little time.

Offline chez

• Ice Man
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 08:45:32 AM »
I have caught fish at all hours of the day threw the ice.I prefer 12.30 pm till 7 or 8 pm. on most lakes,for panfish.
I have caught lots of big gills after dark even,after midnite I have caught gills up to 10" after 8pm many a nites. but very few perch.  I use to fish a lake that i would get on at 3 am and fish till 8am and bring home a bucket of CALICO,PERCH,and GILLS.All nice size too.I prefer after dark for the 2 lakes i icefish eyes in.I think the glo jigs and spoons make after dark fishin great anymore.I got Hooked on the NORTHLAND FOREGE MINNOW last year in the GLO COLORS .They worked great in all the lakes i fished.I bought a bunch more this year.Just charge em up with the lantern or a flash light,put a waxie or 2 on the treble hook and hang on.I caught every fish except trout and walleye on this lure last year.PERCH,GILLS,TONS OR CALLICO,BULLHEAD,CHANNEL CATS,BASS,PICKEREL ,and even a chub.
Prompton stands out in my mind as the lake you can get some nice CALICO from sun up till 730 am or so.But after dark the bite slows down to nothing on the calicoes.That has been my experance.I have gotten a few nice eyes out of PROMPTON after dark .SHahola  seems to be a morning bite place to me .BELMONT,LONG POND,WHITE OAK and DUCK HARBOR we can catch fish on a decent day at anytime.These lakes i fish mostly.I hope i helped a bit .good luck.

Ice Fishing 24/7

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 08:45:32 AM »

Online Spider1

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 10:00:29 AM »
dang it. my post got dropped >:(. Happened a few times now >:(. Too bad to, they were perfectly written, Hemingway woulda been greeen with envy  8) ;D

Oh well, I'll try again.

Crappie like that transition between day and night. In the past I've had better luck in the morning but that's probably because I was always out more in the morning since I used to work 2nd shift. I know that crappie will also put on the feed bag in the early afternoon for a short period. It's like they chow down all at once for a short time and then hide until sundown.

Gills, perch, LM bass like day time and they will be ready to feed at most times of the day but the bucketmouths will also feed at night. I used to take my old jon boat out on the lake at night, late at night, like after midnight at night. I would cast deer hair poppers along the edge and near lillipads and slowly work them back until I hear that kerplunck! Fighting a 4 lb bucketmouth with a 7wt flyrod at 1 am while standing in a 10 ft jon boat is a neat trick!!! I haven't done much night fishing on the ice and I think bass are a bit more lazy when the water gets cold so I don't know what the bass bite will be like at night. But I hear the walleye are true night time prowlers and I'm plannin on stayin up late on the ice for them!
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Head Lurker
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 07:24:25 PM »
Transition times are prooven producers. If I have the luxury of picking my time to fish I go for eyes and panfish on the ice at 3pm then fish until after dark. Getting on the ice and set up before sunrise works well too. The big toothys and bass seem to me to like mid morning. There is almost always a noon bite, not always at 12:00 but a definite spike in the action between morning and afternoon. Then there is an hourly cycle that I have seen to. You will seem to get a little flurry of avidity on an hourly basis. These are general observations not based on a particular lake but a collection of remembrances and things I've been told that have held up on the ice over the years.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Paullo19

• Ice Man
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 12:35:50 PM »
Any time you can get on the ice...The first hour of sun rise and the last hour before sunset are the key times to be fishing. It's been my observation over the years anyway.

Offline chez

• Ice Man
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 08:40:14 AM »
Any time you can get on the ice...The first hour of sun rise and the last hour before sunset are the key times to be fishing. It's been my observation over the years anyway.

X 2.

Ice Fishing 24/7

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 08:40:14 AM »

Offline gee-dub

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 02:09:24 PM »
i have a wife and small child that don't appreciate my love of ice fishing, so anytime i can get out is the right/best time to be out!  that generally means i'm fishing the early morning, but have definitely had FM's 3pm perch success.  i've yet to fish the late afternoon/dusk time frame, but it's on my list for this year.

Offline ice attic

• Ice Man
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 08:35:04 PM »
When there biting!!!!  ;D lol. Anytime u can get out is a good time! I caught fish early morning then by 10 am or so they die down u catch a couple threw out the day then the last 2 hours they explode! Then I had it were they hit all day jigging and tipups in a snowstorm! When I go its usually all day, but sometimes I just go in the morning and I'm home by 2 pm with my fill. Just go out and hav fun try all different times and keep a log I the weather, temp, fish u caught and were.

Ice Fishing 24/7

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 08:35:04 PM »