Author Topic: Tips to make it easier  (Read 5803 times)

Offline Get Hooked

Tips to make it easier
« on: December 01, 2013, 09:00:05 PM »
I got a bunch of those construction marker flags for a couple bucks, and with a little reflective tape, when hole hopping at night, you can mark all your holes so you aint looking around for holes, and they are easy to find and collect when done. It don't have to be flags, it can be as simple as a stick with a wrap of reflective tape on it.

And if one hole is hotter than others, you can double flag it.

Ice Fishing 247

Tips to make it easier
« on: December 01, 2013, 09:00:05 PM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
Re: Tips to make it easier
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 09:55:56 PM »
There is a company that talked to me last summer about advertising here that makes something for just that purpose. Do you mean the surveyor flags that are on the piece of wire? or something else.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Get Hooked

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 09:57:39 PM »
Yes, the surveyor flags.

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 10:47:21 PM »
How do you plan on securing the flag?  Stakes?

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 10:47:21 PM »

Offline Get Hooked

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 06:28:53 AM »
Well bare ice would be tricky, I agree, but it don't take much to keep them things up. A little snow or slushy ice from cutting your hole will do.

Any more little tips out there to make things easier? Hauling your stuff?, Loading in vehicle, hanging shelters in garage?, Auger tips?

Offline perchophile

• hooked again after long layoff
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 08:42:37 AM »
My tip would be take along a youngster to drag all your gear, keep us old guys from a heart attack! Lol
I'm jigg'n to go

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 04:56:26 PM »
Here is one I have used for decades. Keep a small plastic pail in your gear, it can be filled with stuff in transit and won't take extra room. You can use this in many ways on the ice. One way is to carry a supply of baits around to your tip ups instead of hauling a big bucket and 5 gallons of water from hole to hole. It can be used to refill your minnow bucket with fresh water from an open hole. You can also use it to aerate your minnows if they are oxygen starved. Just fill and dump, fill and dump the water in your minnow bucket over and over to dissolve oxygen.
FM 
Have an Ice Day!

Offline steelie1

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 06:10:51 PM »
My tip would be take along a youngster to drag all your gear, keep us old guys from a heart attack! Lol

Lol....I'm with that.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 06:10:51 PM »

Offline Get Hooked

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 06:37:09 AM »
I love both of those ideas.

Offline maverick97

• IF247: The home of Gillzilla
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 09:09:02 AM »
Look through your gear and if there is something in there that you haven't used the last 3 times that you went out, you probably wont use it this time. Get it out of the sled. Shedding an extra couple of pounds makes a big difference when Runnin' and Gunnin' on the ice.

If you are taking a kid ice fishing, take extra clothes and boots. Your boot can't fit down a 10 inch hole, but theirs can. A bit of food coloring is a good idea. Mark holes by coloring the shavings or ice around the hole. You can also use the flags as mentioned above.
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration."
Izaac Walton

Offline Get Hooked

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 08:35:05 PM »
Put some Velcro on the bottom of your "puck" bait holder and the other side of the Velcro on your thigh of your bibs/snowpants and when you're jigging you can just stick them together and they stay put, you don't have to worry about them spilling all the time when rebating or whatever. How many times have those darn things spilled?   :?

Offline kb2112

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 07:41:33 AM »
Here is one I have used for decades. Keep a small plastic pail in your gear, it can be filled with stuff in transit and won't take extra room. You can use this in many ways on the ice. One way is to carry a supply of baits around to your tip ups instead of hauling a big bucket and 5 gallons of water from hole to hole. It can be used to refill your minnow bucket with fresh water from an open hole. You can also use it to aerate your minnows if they are oxygen starved. Just fill and dump, fill and dump the water in your minnow bucket over and over to dissolve oxygen.
FM

I use a coffee can for this.  Just punch a couple holes at the top and loop wire thru it for a handle.  I like the metal as when the water in my big bucket begins to freeze, I'll warm some water on my grill and pour it into the big bucket.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 07:41:33 AM »

Offline acg8276

• Ice Man
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 12:13:51 PM »

Not sure if that pic will show up. My son and I made a few PVC rod holders, cost is less than $5 a piece and they fold flat to stow away for travel. Basically made a 1" PVC horseshoe and put a tee fitting in the middle which is not glued so we can pivot the tee to a 45 deg. point, drilled a small hole to hold that angle.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:18:38 PM by acg8276 »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 04:17:34 PM »
How about just pasting the web address of your pic in a reply so I can see what it is. I can probably figure out what is needed to be done and get you started.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline acg8276

• Ice Man
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 06:22:30 PM »
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx143/acg8276/icerodholder_zpsb03f2d12.jpg

OK this is easy now. You have a good photobucket acct and a good web address for your pic. You pasted it into the post form which is good too. you need to do one other thing which can be accomplished either of two ways.

1.) When you want to insert a pic click this icon: Then paste your pic code between the image tags where it says your image code goes here.
Code: [Select]
[img]your image code goes here[/img]
2.) paste your image code where you want your pic then highlight it then click that little mona lisa icon:

Should look like this before you click the post button.
Code: [Select]
[img]http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx143/acg8276/icerodholder_zpsb03f2d12.jpg[/img]
And after you click the post button it will display like this.

Good Luck and nice rod holders!
FM
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:25:21 PM by fishin_musician »

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 06:22:30 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question