Author Topic: artificials vs live bait for jigging on ice  (Read 8157 times)

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
Re: artificials vs live bait for jigging on ice
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2014, 09:12:33 AM »
I like Plastics with a lot of wiggle to them. Last year I won some whips on one of FM's contests and gave them a good workout. I found that sometimes the fish like meat and sometimes they attack anything that wiggles. So, I started putting a whip on a my jigs and then tipping with a waxie, I think spikes would have done better but I can never find them. I don't like the whips very long so I usually snip 3/8"-1/2" off. If I leave them long I get a problem with smaller fish tugging them around and tearing off the thin tips.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2014, 09:12:33 AM »

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2014, 11:00:32 AM »
Just reading a couple comments on the Gulp waxies,  I'm not a fan of gulp, however the Gulp waxies did work for me, sometimes as good as or better than live bait, sometimes not. 

I use a lot of plastics, the idea being that you can change up colors and styles to find out what's hot.  This is mostly the case with crappies, gills on the feed seem less particular but sometimes do respond to a change of color.   Crappies seem to change their minds every 15 minutes so having a variety can help.

I think it's like every other kind of fishing, open water or ice, fish don't respond to the same thing all the time.  One day you could slay them on a pink whip for instance, then next time out be ready with your pink whips and nothing will touch them  ???

One thing about plastics as with all artificial baits, you have to have faith in them and present them with confidence.  I was skeptical with the gulp waxies but gave them a fair chance and ended up using them quite a bit.  However, if the bite is on for live bait and you have enough of it on hand why switch.

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2014, 12:11:36 PM »
I know a guy who icefishes at nite exclusivelly for calico.All he uses is gulp waxies.He makes a killing on them.Ive been in his company many an evening and seen him do it.
I never tried them.
Its like H D stated you have to have faith in them.
I just have more faith in live than artificial.
I am going to experiment this year.
I gotta mske my self give it a fair chance though.It will be hard but im gunna give it a shot.
Dose anyone know the difference in the gulp baits in the bag compaired to the jar?
It seem the bag has less and cost more.
Couldnt figure it out.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2014, 12:17:54 PM »
Dose anyone know the difference in the gulp baits in the bag compaired to the jar?
It seem the bag has less and cost more.
Couldnt figure it out.

the stuff in the jars are soaking in the scent, but the main cost is probably packaging. You pay more for the jar and juice cuz the bait soaks up more of it. Only problem I ever have is that it's almost impossible to keep the jars from leaking and getting stink all over your tackle box.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2014, 12:17:54 PM »

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2014, 05:58:40 PM »
Buddy,the plastic bags have less bait but,cost more.There soaked in liquid juice also.Bag is resealable.But only half the bait thats in the jar.Thats what i cant understand. :-\
Zziipp puts his plastics in the juice.Sounds like a great idea.
Im gunna give em a try this season.
I get small plastic jars just a bit bigger thsn the Gulp jars at the pharmacy.They put creams in them.Twist lid.AIR TIGHT.THAT CAN SOLVE OUR LEAKING JAR PROBLEM Maybe.????? :-\ :)
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2014, 07:19:52 PM »
"Only problem I ever have is that it's almost impossible to keep the jars from leaking and getting stink all over your tackle box."

Or leaking in the inside pocket of your Ice-Armor coat  :o  I found that out the hard way last year, thought I had the cap on tight, what a mess  :(

Offline zziipp

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2014, 07:30:48 PM »
"Only problem I ever have is that it's almost impossible to keep the jars from leaking and getting stink all over your tackle box."

Or leaking in the inside pocket of your Ice-Armor coat  :o  I found that out the hard way last year, thought I had the cap on tight, what a mess  :(
cover scent the fish will never smell you coming. just put it in any container you dont have a problem with leaking.well worth the price for a bottle. i catch a lotta fish off a bottle. usually you can get more than one fish on one.
WHO SAID WE CAN'T WALK ON WATER.MUST BE A LAND LOVER.

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2014, 08:26:27 PM »
yeah it's not a dress coat after all, and not nearly as bad as having dog poop smeared on your flip over material, FM can attest to that one  ::)

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2014, 08:26:27 PM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2014, 08:49:46 PM »
Power bait is made by the same company It is softer and the juice is inside the rubber no mess.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline perchface

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2014, 11:33:44 AM »
the stuff in the jars are soaking in the scent, but the main cost is probably packaging. You pay more for the jar and juice cuz the bait soaks up more of it. Only problem I ever have is that it's almost impossible to keep the jars from leaking and getting stink all over your tackle box.
That stuff leaks and you can never get rid of that scent

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2014, 11:33:44 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question