Author Topic: Tip Up Strategy  (Read 6220 times)

Offline maverick97

• IF247: The home of Gillzilla
Re: Tip Up Strategy
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
I'm stealing that idea. Only instead of a blade, I'm going to use a piece of spoon tape. It's that super-reflective scale pattern tape. Hopefully, the  fish don't hit it though. LOL
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration."
Izaac Walton

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »

Offline gambit23

• Flag up and Flagon
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 06:56:38 PM »
Regarding the use of treble hooks on tipups: do you rig your minnow through the lips or back?

Offline Nemo

• 43" 21lb northern
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 07:10:47 PM »
Cut up a square from a brightly colored rag and hot glue, super glue, or epoxy it around the flag shaft. You will have to wait until next year for the official IF247 tip up flags.  !<>!
FM
Put me down for a set of those.  !<>!

Offline Nemo

• 43" 21lb northern
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 07:14:39 PM »
Regarding the use of treble hooks on tipups: do you rig your minnow through the lips or back?
I'd have to say....It all depends on what your fishing for and how big the minnow is.  For calico I like to hook a fathead through the lips but for Bubba I will always hook a shiner behind the dorsal fin.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:23:31 PM by Nemo »

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 07:14:39 PM »

Offline gambit23

• Flag up and Flagon
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 07:19:17 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Nemo. Much appreciated. I will be purchasing some toothy leaders ASAP and head to bass pro for lunch tomorrow.

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 07:59:05 PM »
Put me down for a set of those.  !<>!

OK I'm dead serious I will have them next winter. I thought of it too late for this year, it was those black magic flags got me thinking. lol
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Nemo

• 43" 21lb northern
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 08:02:39 PM »
OK I'm dead serious I will have them next winter. I thought of it too late for this year, it was those black magic flags got me thinking. lol
FM
i would def. run them on my tipups. I think it's a great idea.

Offline Striper66

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 08:16:30 PM »
WOW!!! Black Majic Flags again. Yes they should be Blaze orange. If they did them the way I did mine. They would be puur-fect.  Thinking of taking an old hunting hoodie and cutting it to fit my flags and sewing them on.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 08:16:30 PM »

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 08:21:09 PM »
"I've seen guys use a flashy blade like lure above their jigs, has anyone tried this on tip ups above the minnow. I was thinking the minnow would cause the blade to flash and possibly draw in fish from further distance."

Who were the guys you've seen  ::)  I'm a big fan of blades and beads on tip up leaders, next time we hit the ice I'll bring you some of both.

Offline Nemo

• 43" 21lb northern
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 08:24:32 PM »
Mav never do I where gloves when I get ready to set a hook on a fish. always take them off. I like to be able to fell any slight take. It just fells better.  ;)   gambit23, yes light colored backing is easier to see under the ice but on top of the ice a black line is easier to see (especially on snow covered ice) so your not stepping on it and it also aids in not so many tangles. so it's more of a preference. me personally I like to use black dacron.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:56:22 PM by Nemo »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 08:27:22 PM »
I fished with a guy an old Fools on ice member who would take spoons like little cleos and use those for his tip up hooks. He did catch fish but I don't know how many or how often. That seems like it would be off putting to me, if I was a fish that is?  :o I ahve a hard time picturing a trout choking down the bait and big old piece of metal in the winter time. Once and a while if you found the right fish but mostly I think they woudl take a pass.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline perchophile

• hooked again after long layoff
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 09:38:39 PM »
FM I was thinking a foot or two above the minnow, just for the flash. Kidda like ringing a dinner bell! I will give it a try and let you know, probably on a lake that I've had a hard time getting bites.
I'm jigg'n to go

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 09:38:39 PM »

Offline fishon

• Fish'n Machine
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 09:39:08 PM »
I always hook mine in front of the dorsal fin. They normally inhale, take the minnow deep, so I've got to cut alot of hooks off but, I get a better hook to miss ratio with the treble is in front of the top doral fin, IMO.
Fish On!
Have you hugged a fish today?

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 09:39:08 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question