Author Topic: Sled Mods  (Read 24145 times)

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
Sled Mods
« on: December 25, 2012, 07:23:38 PM »

I have a standard Jet Sled type sled that I have covered with half inch plywood and reinforced so I can use the top like a flat bed for auger and gear plus I sit on it too. It is pretty much a forerunner of the Frabil Shuttle Hardtop if you ever saw one of those. I was giving it a once over tonight fixing splintered trusses and ended up taking the top off so I could inspect the sled. I was in for a surprise the bottom in the back where all the heaviest stuff goes has worn thru in a few spots and is getting very thin in others. Looks like I'll be getting a new sled next winter. I'm going to fill the holes with some silicone or other patch and get my final winter out of it. I think I've had it for about 5 years.
FM
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 10:26:43 PM by fishin_musician »
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

Sled Mods
« on: December 25, 2012, 07:23:38 PM »

Offline Ice Walker

Re: Sled Mods
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 08:23:52 PM »
How about a picture?  I've been thinking about making some modifications to my jet sled.  Would be nice to have an idea.

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 08:41:38 PM »
How about a picture?  I've been thinking about making some modifications to my jet sled.  Would be nice to have an idea.

I was just getting ready to do that!  !<>!
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 09:19:39 PM »
OK here are some pics. It's good timing too as I just emptied and swept out the dead bait, fish scales, and junk food wrappers, it looks reasonably clean. I tossed a bucket in the baitwell and put my new auger on it so you could see how it works. I have to recreate the transom to accept the new auger. My old Eskimo rode in the scooped out center like a champ but the NILS has a different handle and I need to get out my jig saw and cut some slots to let it nestle down and ride securely. The baitwell is simply a cut out traced around the bottom of a 5 gallon pail and cut out a half inch bigger all around. Main hatch is hinged and reinforced so it can bear weight. the front hatch is just a plywood lid that settles into the space and has a inner rim of reinforcement that holds it in place too. Rope handle for the hatch and a couple of eyelets for bungees round it off. Last pic is of the 1x1.5 framing wood that I used to back up the screws that hold the top on. Not in the pics is the 1/4 inch plywood bottom that fits the flat area and keeps my stuff up out of the sloop water that can get accumulated inside after a few weeks of ice fishin'. All natural organic and unplanned, an off the cuff idea that worked out well.
FM

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 09:24:08 PM by fishin_musician »
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 09:19:39 PM »

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 09:31:34 PM »
When did you get the new auger?   &:

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 09:41:53 PM »
I bought it last winter about mid January. It is much lighter than the old eskimo and doubles as a hand auger too.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline kb2112

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 01:26:16 PM »
Gotta love those Nils augers. I have the hand model and really like it.

Try putting plastic wear strips on the bottom. You can get the high density plastic or simply get a couple synthetic wood strips from Lowes or tilt depot (trex) and bolt them on with recessed screws. Or if you can find an old set of skis on the side of the road or a junk pair from a ski shop and bolt them on.
This has made the bottom of my sled last for over a decade.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 08:37:11 AM »
Here are a couple pics of the NILS onthe sled. I re did the transom to a much heavier piece of plywood and new cut outs for the NILS. It is very stabil won't move forward or backward in the mount and a bungee keeps it fron bouncing.
FM

Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 08:37:11 AM »

Offline PERCHEYE

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 08:58:20 AM »
nice set up there fm iam gunna get my [angling equipment [  [lol]   out sunday and ill put up a post of my sled with my auger attacment and the icsfishin247 logo on the side of my sled ..   percheye ill be sending in my 10.00 tourney money next week .  i  went in the ice last year so i aint goin till its good and safe .

Offline crappiman

• God walked on water to create Ice Fishing....
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 09:09:57 PM »
I made this Smitty sled last season. Did not get a chance to use last year because of the crappy ice conditions :?  looking forward to some good use this season.

Men and Fish are alike.... They both get in trouble when they open there mouths......

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 09:22:45 PM »
Next time you have that sled unpacked take a pic of the undercarriage.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline crappiman

• God walked on water to create Ice Fishing....
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 12:28:51 AM »
Hers some more pics of my sled. I did a few more mods, just shaped wood,paint and some decals. I build this for my shappell shelter. after getting tired of my shelter acting like a plow... oI I needed to get it up on top of the snow I tried in the yard and it works great. I seen alot of people using them with jet sleds.
Ya I know I'm missing a decal.... !<>! Enjoy

Men and Fish are alike.... They both get in trouble when they open there mouths......

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 12:28:51 AM »

Offline Seacat145

• It's only cold if you peak outside!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 06:43:02 AM »
Nice job crappiman!

Seacat

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 06:44:00 AM »
The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw these pics was "I gotta send this guy a sticker". PM me you address  and I'll mail you a couple. Thanks for the extra info.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Wey

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 09:51:09 AM »
Nice looking sleds guys , Some great thought went into these . Nice Work . I really want a Nils Even though I have the 4 stroke Strikemaster
My Blog
FMOKD

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 09:51:09 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question