Author Topic: How do you cook your Eats?  (Read 10459 times)

Offline Striper66

How do you cook your Eats?
« on: November 06, 2012, 05:19:44 PM »
Odviously Ice fishing is done in the colder weather. For a day on the water,literally. You will get hungry.
What do you use to cook a hot meal?
Do you just bring sandwiches and snacks?
My Buddies and I have found Kingsford charcoal is the way to go.
What does everyone else use?
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Ice Fishing 247

How do you cook your Eats?
« on: November 06, 2012, 05:19:44 PM »

Offline Wavemaster

• Waiting for the big one
Re: How do you cook your Eats?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 06:54:11 PM »
I use a small single burner propane camp stove. Usually cook sausages with fried onions.

Offline Striper66

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 07:28:12 PM »
Ever had a prob with the freezing? We've had guys ask us to help with their cooking.

Offline Wavemaster

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 10:08:34 PM »
Ever had a prob with the freezing? We've had guys ask us to help with their cooking.

Used for 3 ice fishing seasons and no problems at all. What kind of freezing problems did those guys have?

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 10:08:34 PM »

Offline Reaper

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 10:30:56 PM »
I've seen butane freeze but never propane. I have a small butane stove that is OK in the shanty but not in the open. We have had to heat up the butane canisters on top of a propane heater before....for the record..BAD IDEA!!...luckily we never had a problem but after thinking about it one leak could cause catastrophic problems. Now I bring a propane stove if we are going to cook in the open. Mostly we just bring snacks...trail bologna, summer sausage, smoked fish...and other munchies. Soup in a thermos is one of my favorites...nothing like a good fish chowder on a cold day..... 8)

Offline maverick97

• IF247: The home of Gillzilla
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 09:09:22 AM »
Thermos full of tomato soup and a couple ham and cheese sandwiches. However, one time I brought a charcoal grill and some T-bone steaks and burgers. Sounds good in theory right? Well, with all of the wind, I had a heck of a time getting it lit and an even harder time getting it hot enough to cook. To make matters worse, the wind blew a hot coal up into my eye. It got caught in the corner of my eye and burned my pretty badly. I had a big blister there for a while. I'll never burn charcoal on the ice again. I need a propane camp stove. LOL.
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration."
Izaac Walton

Offline Striper66

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 05:16:58 PM »
Used for 3 ice fishing seasons and no problems at all. What kind of freezing problems did those guys have?

Lines froze Ice all over and in the orifice. Coleman stoves never seemed to work either.
 As for the Charcoal. We start it first thing.breakfast. Cover and keep adding more as we need it. For the wind aspect. We have a cover/shield for that.

Offline Wavemaster

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »
The one I have is made by Woods and it runs on the 1lb propane tanks.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 05:24:05 PM »
Striper, you may be getting some moisture in your lines or connections.  I've never had a problem with propane even below zero.  My Optimus Crux propane/butane mix mini stove does have problems in super cold temps.  Like Reaper said, you shouldn't have problems with propane unless you've either got moisture in the line or maybe at -20 degrees.

Coleman stoves are not the top of the line for sure, but they are fairly easy to maintain, clean and replace parts.

Offline fishon

• Fish'n Machine
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 07:50:21 PM »
I use a small single burner propane camp stove.
I love my little single burner propane cooker. It screws right onto a propane bottle and push on base for the bottom of the propane tank. I love to bring it out and perk up a fresh pot of coffee for my ice fish'n buddies. And a can of soup will fit right on it too.
Yes in -20 degree weather it doesn't work so well if you are outside. That is why I normally bring it out when I've got 1 of my portable shanties with me.
But for cooking meals, I bring the 2 burner coleman stove, normally cook right on the tailgate of the truck, either on the ice or in the parking lot.
Fish On!
Have you hugged a fish today?

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 09:41:45 PM »
also to mention it can be a source of heat in a portable shanty, so long as you have a little ventilation, if not you'll be singin,.. Propane, Propane, running all round my brain  :-*

Offline Striper66

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 08:45:40 PM »
I personally have never used propane. I've only seen others useing it and heard their compaints. Could be they don't take good care of theirs.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 08:45:40 PM »

Offline BIGCREW

• Ice Man
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 08:04:42 PM »
I use propane all the time,everything from a 1 burner that screws to the top of a 1 lb bottle to a 3 burner camp stove and a table top gas grill,I never had any problems with it

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 07:00:56 PM »
I usually just go with cold stuff like smoked cheese or home made jerky, though  cooking with charcoal (Kingsford Mesquite) and a Weber go anywhere grill is always fun. Usually I'll wait for a mid day break and cook on the tail gate since there is less wind to deal with. Additionally I prefer a chimney to light my charcoal.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 01:24:56 AM by Van_Cleaver »

Offline ice attic

• Ice Man
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 07:37:41 PM »
Use to use a 5 gallon steel pail with charcoal and a grate on top. Good to warm the hands too! Haha moved up to a 2 burner Coleman stove. Usually take deer chilly or burgers and dogs. Breakfast is eggs and bacon.  Could do grill cheese and tomatoes soup!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 07:37:41 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question