Author Topic: Great First Ice Lakes  (Read 5726 times)

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
Great First Ice Lakes
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:25:06 PM »

Due to a severe lack of winter this year a lot of us are looking further the the north for ice fishing opportunities. Some of the questions about possible places to ice fish have me wondering how many of us know what it takes to find a really dependable first ice lake.

I'm going to toss out some of the criteria that I consider important and anyone may chime in with their own observations.
FM

Small: A smaller lake or pond will naturally freeze up sooner than larger neighbor all other factors equal.

Shallow: A shallow lake will cool faster that a deep one and freeze sooner.

Sheltered: Wind is one of the hardest things to overcome when it comes to getting ice started and sticking around long enough to set up thick. Blowing wind mixes the surface water constantly bring warmer subsurface water to the top ice has a tough time getting started. Wind will also break up and blow off ice that is in place. the wave action cracks and pushes the ice off the lake and to the shoreline.

Shaded: a small lake or pond that is in the shadow of a mountain or tucked down in a valley and surrounded by trees and hills will stand a better chance of freezing up quickly than one that has a wide open southern exposure.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:17:10 AM by fishin_musician »
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

Great First Ice Lakes
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:25:06 PM »

Offline HenryDavid

Re: The Anatomy of a Great First Ice Lake
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 10:05:52 PM »
You skipped one on purpose to get someone to chime in,

Altitude
-  In Northeast PA we have some 2,000+ altitudes on the Pocono plateau and in the Red Rock area.
Don't forget to check the Game Land maps for fishing opportunities.   My favorite new altitude map that does include SGL boundries is:  http://ebird.org/ebird/pa/map/  leave it to the Audobon people to create a good map.

Does anyone know the highest altitude lake in PA, or the highest point for that matter, it's probably not what you would think.

Offline steelie1

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:12:35 PM »
somerset county....

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:53:11 PM »
Mt. Davis -  Highest Point in Pennsylvania at 3,213 Feet above Sea Level  (Somerset County)

High Point Lake, a manmade fishing lake, is located nearby and is maintained by the PA Fish and Boat Commission.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:53:11 PM »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
Great First Ice Lakes
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 08:15:40 AM »
Thought I'd bounce this to the top for discussion.
FM
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:17:32 AM by fishin_musician »
Have an Ice Day!

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
Re: Great First Ice Lakes
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 06:08:18 PM »
Lake Jean is a good early ice choice. If they have started to drop the levels it may be a good first ice lake this winter. Does anyone know if they have opened up the flood gates?
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 07:38:10 PM »
Most recent advisory I could find was from August :

"HARRISBURG, Pa. (Aug. 28) - The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) announced today that it has temporarily lifted all seasons, sizes and creel limits on Lake Jean in Northeastern Pennsylvania in anticipation of the lake being fully drained next spring by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR). The 245-acre lake is part of Ricketts Glen State Park."

Other news which may or may not prevent many from fishing it this ice season:
Times Leader  October 18. 2014

"The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission wrapped up its final week of fish salvage work at Lake Jean in Ricketts Glen State Park. The lake is scheduled to be drawn down this spring for repairs to the dam control tower.

PFBC crews kept nets in the water for a total of 1,013 hours. Last week, they caught fewer fish, according to fisheries manager Rob Wnuk. A total of 290 fish were caught for a catch rate of 0.29 fish per hour, far lower than 0.97 the previous week. All of the fish caught were released in Frances Slocum Lake.

All of the fish caught during the fish salvage work - which began several weeks ago, were released at Frances Slocum Lake, with the exception of creek chubsuckers that went into Lily Lake.

Wnuk estimates the four weeks of netting removed 64 percent of the yellow perch in Lake Jean, 69 percent of the pumpkinseed and 84 percent of the bluegill.

Including four nights of electrofishing prior to four weeks of netting, PFBC crews put in a total effort of 3,572.66 hours to remove as many fish as possible from the lake."

No reports of the crappies  :-\

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 08:42:34 PM »
Well that's a buzz kill. I guess Frances Slocum will be hot this winter.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 08:42:34 PM »

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 09:40:02 AM »
I ICE FISH FRANCIS SLOCUM almost every year.I missed it the last 2 years.2 years ago the ice wasent safe to my standards.Ill never jeopardize my boys safety on the ice.Last year I just didn't get there because I was every where else.However I did stop and watch a guy last year pull out a slammer fish at the bottleneck on carventon road.If it wasent a musky it was the biggest pickerel I seen in my life.I was passing by for my work and stopped.If I wasent on the clock I would of walked out to see what it was.
I always have a blast there on the ice.You get a lot of small pannies but,there are some nice ones mixed in.I have gotten many a perch close to 12"and some over that on tipups.I have had my tipup line broken dozen of times.The gills and CALICO size is on the small side but,i have gotten a lot of keeper size.Its a fun lake to fish.We have gotten a lot of eyes threw the ice after dark by the dam and,some decent calico in the same area.I hope they got some of those LAKE JEAN perch into slocum.Either way I hope I get the chance to drop the transducer in a hole and wet a line there this year. (*) !<>!
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline BIGCREW

• Ice Man
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 10:18:01 AM »
Its great the fish comm put the effort into saving at least some of the fish out of jean and lets face it slocome could use the fish it gets a lot of fishing pressure In the winter by the old timers In the area, I never had a banner day there myself and find the fish there to be on the small side and paper thin, when I do fish it I dont target panfish but I do jig to keep occupied maybe this year that will change a bit, I remember when they took fish from fords pond and put them in LSP the ice season was great that year, most guys will forget about them putting the fish in slocome by ice season I know I wont forget and will be there a few times this season as usual

Offline dsouth

• Ice Man
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 10:08:16 AM »
Nice 3-4 more weeks for my lakes. >:(

Offline JTTOOCOOL

• FISH TILL IT HURTS!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 01:55:23 PM »
WAS AT FORDS POND TODAY.SHE IS LOCKED UP WITH A HEAVY SKIM COAT! GONNA HIT THIS LAKE A LITTLE HARDER THIS YEAR...I KNOW THE QUALITY FISH ARE THERE JUST HAVE TO FIND THEM AND REAL CLOSE TO HOME. WANT TO TRY THE NIGHT BITE. 8)

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 01:55:23 PM »

Offline shiver318

• Ice Man
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 07:06:50 PM »
Was thinking of checking out Hunters Lake for next weekend, always a couple of degrees colder up in the mountains. Depends how much snow we get mid-week, might make it tricky getting back the road to the lake, :?

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 09:21:56 PM »
I'm going to start looking for stealth ice. lol That is... ice that flies under the radar and can be hidden in plain sight because it is in an under utilized location or some where that gets no attention at all. Frances Slocum has somehow managed to hold on to some of its ice all of last week. I have watched as it has gone up or down by the day depending on the weather. I am imagining somewhere that is in a colder place than Slocum that is shallower and tucked in to the side of a mountain in the shade. some place like that might have a couple inches on it tomorrow morning. a bit more the next day and so on. It might not even be a whole pond or lake it could be just a little patch of ice in an inlet arm that froze and held on.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 10:31:20 AM »
With the upcoming weather some of the newbies might want to read this thread. The old farts among us will be out checking our secret early ice hotspots soon.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 10:31:20 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question