Author Topic: Lake Michigan Ice Fishing ( Southeast Wi. )  (Read 2953 times)

Offline Get Hooked

Lake Michigan Ice Fishing ( Southeast Wi. )
« on: February 01, 2011, 09:04:58 PM »
I am going out with "jason" on Saturday, And I know the bite has been slow., But things may be starting to pick up. Anyone been having any luck? We will be fishing in the Milwaukee area, and was wondering if there is any known fishing spots that have any scetchy ice. With this Blizzard blowing through, the snow might cover any hazards that we would obviously like to avoid.

Ice Fishing 247

Lake Michigan Ice Fishing ( Southeast Wi. )
« on: February 01, 2011, 09:04:58 PM »

Offline JASON

• I am a fisherman and musician "guitars/keyboards".
Re: Lake Michigan Ice Fishing ( Southeast Wi. )
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 02:38:16 AM »
I am bringing my spud bar just in case so we can see how the ice is and, staying away from any areas that could have current. I am almost thinking with all the high winds we got, the snow may have blown somewhat off the ice. I just hope the high winds didnt stir the water up to much and make it cloudy. But, that may also be a positive. Less visibility means the fish are less likely to pick out any flaw in our presentation. Not that small hooks, and light fluorocarbon isnt stealthy enough, lol.

We will find a spot to fish for sure, and catch some damn fish for a change. We'll have 5 people, 15 lines out, so if one of them 15 lines doesnt get hit at least once, we just suck at trout fishing, LOL. If we set up quick, stay quiet, and fish like we mean it, we'll get some fish. The spot I want to fish I have confidence in for many reasons. See you saturday

Offline Get Hooked

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 09:38:06 AM »
Well after a pair of last minute bailouts, I did not get to Milwaukee for trout. I made my own plans on went to Sheboygan instead. Sorry for no report.

Offline JASON

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 06:38:38 AM »
Fishing sucked down here to man. Last minute bail outs? PFFF! I saved you a disappointing trip but, I also said you could come down and fish if you wanted. So I did not bail out man, lol.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 06:38:38 AM »

Offline Get Hooked

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 03:14:10 PM »
You bailed alright.

Offline Awe Toe Set

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 08:51:59 PM »
I have only ice fished Milwaukee last year and this year.  I did ok last year, but every one I fished with was telling me what a banner year the 2008/2009 was.  This year has been absolutely terrible.  I am retired so I get to fish 3-5 days a week.  I spent most of my days in December once the ice was safe and all through January fishing the Mckinley Marina.  Probably spent 2/3 of my time fishing by the Sailing Center slips, and the other 1/3 of my time fishing the piers behind the Yacht club.  I have only Iced 3 fish this season, all steelhead.  I have plenty of fresh spawn and it hasn't seemed to matter.  Every one I have talked to has been having the same kind of luck.  The guys pick one up here and there.  The Racine chapter of Salmon Unlimited had a fishing derby down in Racine at the Reefpoint Marina and I am guessing they would have had between 100 and 175 entrants. Only 6 fish were entered, 5 browns and 1 steelhead.  Not too good.  There is a lot of stipulation as to why its so bad this year, but nothing concrete.  I am hoping as weather gets warmer, with some run off, and later ice, that things will pick up.  Wish I had a better report, that's the way things have been most of the ice season.   :-\        oI

Offline JASON

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 04:24:46 AM »
Awe Toe Set, thanks for the report.  I have had a terrible year, friends of mine who are hardcore trout fisherman are as well. Even the famed guides are struggling. I just started fishing last year for them on the ice. I only iced 8 last year but, lost about the same amount so it shouldve been 15 fish or so all winter. Not bad for my first season. This year I only had 1 trout on and that was early ice. They come and go and if you get lucky you hit'em right, it just seems numbers are way lower the past 2 years. Maybe DNR skimped on stalking? Who knows? I just hope the late winter and spring bites dont suck. I have a feeling floods are gonna come if this snow melts to quickly. The weathers been so screwed up its no wonder fishing is terrible.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:39:53 AM by Get Hooked »

Offline JASON

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 03:15:22 AM »
Fished a Southeastern Wisconsin harbor yesterday for trout and did alright for a change. My fiance and I fished between 2:30pm till the sun set around 5:30pm. We had 2 tipups set out with medium golden shiners with a #12 treble hook and 12lb test fluorocarbon leaders, 2 Automatic Fisherman set out with a small Gamakatzu Octopus single hook, 6lb test fluorocarbon, and a variety of spawn sac colors. Also had 1 rod setup with a bobber and small treble hook baited with brown trout skein, and I jigged spawn sacs on a 1/32 ounce jighead, hair jigs, tube jigs, jigging spoons, and jigging Rapalas. I had a few taps on the 2" white tube jigs but no hookups. Also had a few fish come in on the Vexilar locator and, they didnt commit.

Around 4:00pm one of our tipups and one of our Automatics went off within 30 seconds of eachother. I was already battling a trout on the Auto as the tipup went up. So my fiance and I were both fighting fish and, she lost whatever it was on the tipup. All we know is whatever hit that tipup was taking off like crazy and fighting hard. After she lost the fish on the tipup she just ran, grabbed the camera, and video taped me reeling my fish in. It was a great looking male Steelhead that I quickly released. After that we had one more tipup go up, the fish took out maybe 5 feet of line, dropped the bait, and the shiner was filleted from head to tail. I am thinking the second tipup was a northern pike by the looks of the shiner.

It was gorgeous outside, and there was a lot of melting snow and the ice was slushy and filled with puddles of water. About a solid 10" of ice where we were. This ice is gonna get destroyed quick with this weather we're getting this week so, Spring is just around the corner. But who knows, next week we could have another blizzard and nasty cold weather to refreeze all the slushy ice. If any of you head out good luck, and stay safe. No fish is worth risking your life for.

Jason Weckerle Battling a Steelhead through the Ice

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 03:15:22 AM »

Offline JASON

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 07:24:14 PM »
Fished this afternoon in Milwaukee Harbor and the bite was slow. Not a single bite at all, thats how slow it was. Nobody else around me had any luck either. I tried medium shiners, brown trout skein, brown trout spawn sacs, and jigged, nothing. WATCH OUT ON THAT ICE!!!! The area I fished had 1" to 2" of ice, and 40 feet away it was 17" of ice. I dont know what happened to the ice where I was but, a week ago it was 11" thick, now its 1" to 2". Two solid whacks with the spud bar and I was through. So I just set our lines off the docks. Seen some guys come in and say they had 4" to 12" out from the docks, but they said one spot was scary. It wont be long and the ice will be history. Stay safe and good luck.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 07:24:14 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question