Author Topic: strange things to jig with?  (Read 2538 times)

Offline livetohunt123

strange things to jig with?
« on: December 29, 2010, 07:16:15 PM »
Does anyone jig with things like a  small phoebe, kastmasters, daredevils, or anything like that? They work the rest of the year, so do they work through the ice?

Ice Fishing 247

strange things to jig with?
« on: December 29, 2010, 07:16:15 PM »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
Re: strange things to jig with?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 07:35:58 PM »
Small kastmasters are a well known ice lure.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Ice Walker

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 07:39:14 PM »
How about a paperclip? lol.  My buddy and I were fishing a pond and the bite was HOT.  To prove that they would eat about anything we gave them my buddy attached a paperclip with a hook and actually caught a couple fish on it!

Offline Ice Walker

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 07:41:02 PM »
author=fishin_musician link=topic=5087.msg24261#msg24261 date=1293669358]
Small kastmasters are a well known ice lure.
FM

I second this one!  I've used the bigger ones for lake trout.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 07:59:55 PM by fishin_musician »

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 07:41:02 PM »

Offline livetohunt123

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 08:12:21 PM »
Thanks guys, I guess I'll throw some paper clips in the box tonight...

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 08:25:19 PM »
You asked for it. lol I might as well tell this story again. I have fished with tip ups most of my life and that is a lot of ice fishin. One of the things you do when setting up a tip up correctoy is to sound the bottom then adjust your depth based on that measurement. We use small lead weights with a pinch clip attached to accomplish this. Long time ago on the Spruce Run Reservoir I was doing this in about 25 fow and as I was getting ready to retrieve my weight from the bottom I swore I felt something hit the dead weight. I pulled it in and sure enough there was a medium perch attached. The hot color was pink!
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline bui boater

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 07:06:46 PM »
a guy in cambridge springs sells these look-a-like kastmasters for 50 cents.now he has the tiny daredevils.ive used the kasmasters for years.tipped with half a minnow, theyre deadly

Offline Striper66

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »
a guy in cambridge springs sells these look-a-like kastmasters for 50 cents.now he has the tiny daredevils.ive used the kasmasters for years.tipped with half a minnow, theyre deadly

Could you post a pic?
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »

Offline maverick97

• IF247: The home of Gillzilla
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 08:21:19 PM »

Can't wait to try the one you gave me. I hope to get up there after steel when the ice comes on.
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration."
Izaac Walton

Offline slipperybob

• Ice Man
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 01:57:33 AM »
I have a fair good list of spoon varieties that I jig with.  The small versions of Daredevle jigs are great. 

Another great jigging spoon is actually the Mepps Syclops spoon.  Both version of orginal casting spoon and the lighter version of trolling/fluttering spoon.  They've renamed it Bantam Syclops spoons last I know of.  Size 00 is what I've use.  Warning though is the the Syclops spoons tend to plane outwards quite far so it's rather easy to cross lines with a jigging partner who's in the same shack. 

Then there's Luhr Jensen's Krocodile spoons too.  The small ones at 1/4 oz weight works well for bigger fish.  There was at one time a limited production of a smaller version called the Krocodile Stubby that weighed in 1/8 th oz.  Great trout lure for open water casting too and good for ice fishing as well.

I also like the change of of spoons that are fish patterned cut outs.  Acme Phoebe works.  Worden's Triple Teazer.  Al's Goldfish.  Thomas Fighting Fish.  Northland's Moxie Minnow spoons although discontinued after a few years of production only.  It's actually one of the best in terms of action and flutter for fish attracting. 

As for jigs, underspin jigs like Road Runners and Northland Crappie Thumper jigs.   

Soft body swimbaits like those from Storm. 

Offline Icemole

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 05:45:32 PM »
 Add small 1/8 Rat-L-Traps to your arsenals.... bad part is pickerel bite them off.... good part is bass, nicer crappie and perch like them too.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 05:45:32 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question