Author Topic: Perch waters  (Read 1930 times)

Offline walkerd

• Fisherman or at least pretend to be! Right Farmer?
Perch waters
« on: December 21, 2010, 05:54:45 PM »
I'm from Indiana and wanting to go up north and visit you guys and would like to know some good perch lakes, and maybe some info on sleeping shanties rentals if any. Ive been surfing around looking but would feel better if a fellow fisherman or fisherwoman would give me some tips on perch lakes, not just the people who are trying to get my money for quote quote fantastic perchen.
Thanks for any help it is really appreciated.

Dave from Indiana
Early to bed early to rise. Fish like hell and make up Lies!!

Ice Fishing 247

Perch waters
« on: December 21, 2010, 05:54:45 PM »

Offline xcr440

Re: Perch waters
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 11:41:02 AM »
I have been told by guys at work that mononna (sp?) in madison is a decent perch lake, if you can find them. No sleeping shacks that I know of and they have a flotation law.

Offline Get Hooked

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 01:23:53 PM »
I will be trying Green Bay and the Door Co. area this year with member Jason. I've heard alot of good stuff about up there, and alot of species., including Perch. Maybe try your search around that area. Sorry this all the help I can give you right now.

Offline JASON

• I am a fisherman and musician "guitars/keyboards".
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 10:05:25 PM »
Mendota, Monona, Lake Michigan "open water only  :'( ", Delavan lake, Petenwell Flowage, Green Bay, Fox lake, Winnebago system of lakes, and even some smaller southeastern Wisconsin lakes I wont name off have decent sized perch, and some lakes a lot of them. I wont mention names of certain lakes because, I dont want to ruin a good thing for myself and, dont want to slit anyone's throats. Sorry but, as a fisherman you must understand where I am coming from. Some lakes are so small that one winter of horrible fishing pressure can really hurt a good panfish population. Even larger lakes can get fished out.

What I have found is perch thrive and grow big where there is a great food supply. Lots of baitfish, crayfish, and bug larvae to fill their hungry bellies. I cant say depth really matters or water clarity, but a healthy food source is definitely key. Every lake I fish has a ton of perch in them, but its hardest finding lakes with large numbers of keeper to jumbo perch in the 8" and bigger size range. Also, perch have been known to travel according to their sizes quite often. You really have to drill lots of holes, look for structures that hold large numbers of perch, cover a lot of water, and do your homework to stay on these fish. A few rods rigged up with a small jig, bobber and minnow, and a jigging spoon will help. Use a spoon to attract and trigger bites and fish, use livebait for the picky meat eaters, and for the really finicky fish a small panfish ice jig with waxies or spikes does the trick.

What I learned over the years is inland perch like flats whether deep or shallow. I never usually catch perch on a dropoff. But a weed, rock, sand flat shallow, or deep gravel or mud can produce a lot of fish. I remembered years ago Infisherman said "perch are the fish of the flats" and I have found this to be true. You can be in 50 feet of water over mud and catch perch. Mud holds larvae from insects and perch pick through the mud for their meals. Thats why pounding a spoon into the bottom gets their curiosity flowing.

This is about all I can offer for info but I hope it helps someone. Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 02:33:04 AM by JASON »

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 10:05:25 PM »

Offline walkerd

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 07:19:06 PM »
thanks for the fantastic info jason. I totally understand and didnt expect anyone to give up honey holes, just would like to catch a few fish if im going to travel that far is all, love the perch experiences and even better eating them. lol.

thanks guys
dave

Offline JASON

• I am a fisherman and musician "guitars/keyboards".
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 02:53:53 AM »
Dave, I am hoping the info I shared helps you out. Wisconsin has lakes everywhere loaded with perch, in fact like I said before there is absolutely no shortage of perch in pretty much every lake in the state. But there is a shortage of keeper sized perch and big ones, that is no joke. I can go out on lakes and catch 100 perch a day if I wanted to, but they are all 3" to 6" long and no bigger. I think competition for food with each other and other fish species is what makes them not grow large and become stunted. But theres a few lakes I fished perch in before where I could drill 20 holes, catch dinky perch in most of the holes, then its like one hole out of the 20 I start slamming big perch. Thats how I first figured out they travel in schools according to their size. Little ones with little ones, big ones with big ones.

Even when I catch the HUGE Lake Michigan perch from shore in summer, on a clear day you can see schools of fish. Sometimes wholes schools of babies, and sometimes you'll see schools of real jumbos on the bottom and, the bottom will look as if it is moving. You just see stripes and orange fins piled on top of each other. Them summertime lake perch I get are occasionally up to 16" long, I have landed ten 15" perch and three 16" perch in my lifetime. I won Perch Angler of the Year for the midwest during InFisherman's Angler of the Year awards this year for a 15" I caught and submitted a photo of. Unfortunately these lake perch disappear into the depths of Lake Michigan come winter so, they are not fishable through the ice which is disappointing.

Anyways, I hope you know Im not trying to hold back info from you but, some lakes are to small and the access to limited to give out info about. But the lakes I did mention you will have a shot at some 8"+ perch for sure. Hope this helps you out and good luck! If you want a good chance at icing some perch try Lake Mendota or Lake Winnebago, theyre very popular for their perch fishing and very large lakes.

Heres some pics of them Lake Michigan perch I get during summer, not icefishing pics but, some beautiful perch regardless.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 02:57:27 AM by JASON »

Offline walkerd

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 05:53:21 AM »
Wow Jason those are some pigs!!!! It was great info and may make a trek up there this year if not maybe next. It would be cool to be able to ice fish them on Lake Michigan in the winter. Im hopeing to take my boat on Mich next year for some perchen.

Thanks for the great info bud

Dave

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 05:53:21 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question