Author Topic: Little Saint Germain lake, Vilas cty  (Read 1362 times)

Offline xcr440

Little Saint Germain lake, Vilas cty
« on: December 04, 2010, 12:20:40 PM »
I hear there is 5" on south bay. With 2" of snow. Starting to look good !<>!

http://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/maps/DNR/1596300a.pdf
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 12:21:25 PM by fishin_musician »

Ice Fishing 247

Little Saint Germain lake, Vilas cty
« on: December 04, 2010, 12:20:40 PM »

Offline JASON

• I am a fisherman and musician "guitars/keyboards".
Re: Little Saint Germain lake, Vilas cty
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 05:06:46 AM »
My grandparents lived on this lake since 1972, I know this body of water better then any other in the state of Wisconsin. It is a great fishing lake if you know how and where to fish it. Big bass, walleyes, musky, decent sized pike, big panfish when you can find them. I havent ice fished it in years, been wanting to get up there but winter is so hard to find time to get up there. I usually fish the lake May or June. I may have to get up there this winter possibly. Its to bad the panfish are getting smaller in the lake, to much fishing pressure. I remember the days we could get baskets full of big 12"-14" crappies, or 8" to 11" inch bluegills. A lot less 30"+ pike in the lake as well. Used to be an amazing walleye lake back in the 1960's and 1970's until the DNR accidently dumped to much weed killer into lower east bay. They killed so many fish in 1980 they had to close the lake off and haul fish away in dumb trucks. Walleyes up to 20 pounds that surpassed the state record of 18 pounds came out of the lake dead, big muskies, thousands of dead fish. The walleye fishing has never been the same since. Not that you cant get them but, they are probably the toughest fish to pattern and keep up with. Dont know if its the numbers are down, or if its the fishing pressure. I do get them at night though, sometimes one, sometimes up to 5 but, never usually many at all. Cant wait to fish up there again!

Offline xcr440

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 01:06:01 AM »
Heading up in a few days. &: !<>!

Offline JASON

• I am a fisherman and musician "guitars/keyboards".
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 03:37:04 AM »
Man I wish I was up there. I know all the spots I'd be hitting in West Bay, No Fish, and South Bays. To bad the sizes of the crappies have gone down hill drastically over the past 15 years. Used to be TONS of 12" to 15" crappies in that lake, and now the keepers are barely 10" long, mostly 6" and 7" fish. Some big perch in the lake if you can find them, when you do find them they are schooled up tight and pretty willing to bite. Them perch roam around a lot though. I am guessing with southern WI having 6" to 12" of ice on the lakes, Little Saint probably has 8" or more by now. I could be wrong but, its definitely gonna be thicker around the shallows of course. I never get to get up there in winter, havent ice fished it in years. I normally hit the lake late May, and early June.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 03:37:04 AM »

Offline xcr440

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 09:07:19 AM »
I normally fish right by the landing in the weeds. Never really had much luck anywhere else. I normally fish this lake exclusivly. Since my parents live just up the road.
I fish it every time were up. Look for a 14' john boat with a 9.9 johnson ;D

Offline Get Hooked

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 09:01:46 PM »
xcr440 ,

How was the ice up there? Is it snow covered slush? I want to get up there for the Tourny this website is having. See if we cant put Wi. on the braggin board.

Offline xcr440

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 02:37:32 PM »
Ice wasn't bad, very few slush spots. Right now there is no slush and pure ice. Rain took care of it. Ice creepers are a definate.

Offline xcr440

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
Just go baack from a week of ice fishing. Bite was hard. 8" of ice. probley 6" of snow on the ice now. Had a 2 hour window at dusk to get 8"-10" crappies. Pulled in a nice 16" largemouth. Lost a nice 12-14" small mouth at the hole. going back in a few weeks.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question