Author Topic: Pike/Musky Leaders  (Read 3630 times)

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
Pike/Musky Leaders
« on: December 17, 2006, 08:34:09 PM »
This topic looked kind of empty so where better to start a vibrant discussion of the relative advantages or disadvantages of the various types of leaders available to ice fishermen. I am a firm believer in using leaders when ice fishing. I have a preferred leader for each species of fish that I go after. This post will be about my version of a pike leader. I have gone back and forth with pike leaders from my first days fishing pike on Budd Lake In Jersey. From wire to mono from plain to accessorized, I have settled for the last few years on a hybrid wire bottom with a mono upper leader adorned with a small colorado spinner blade and a few beads for a bit of rattle. I know this is fussy and time consuming but what the hey the results are fish catchy and beauty to behold. If you have ever purchased a Swedish Pimple you may have noticed the extra hook and particularly the extra colored plastic blade that comes in the package. I had been collecting these blades for a decade or so and one day decided to add them to my pike leaders.  I'm catching more and bigger fish I can't attribute it to the flasher blades it could be I any number of factors that I am playing around with but it hasn't hurt and so I continue the experimenting.

This year, on my Virginia vacation I spotted some Nickle Colorado blades with clevis's (clevi?) 10 for 2.50 so I grabbed them with my pike leaders in mind. Then it occurred to me that the Thomas Spinners whose finish I believe in so religiously could be had by simply cutting up a couple of their double bladed models so that is what is on tap tonight. Metal blades with clevi and beads added to pike leaders. In the pic you will see seven strand leader material I have had the same spools for 20 years. You will see leader sleeves, little brass tubes that you crimp together to hold the ends of the wire tight. Also there are barrel swivels, treble hooks, metal and plastic beads, CLEVI, and the Colorado blades. Put them together and see what You Catch. _i
FM

Photo Notes:
The shot of the wire and mono lines is a visual comparison between 8lb test mono and 8lb test wire.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 05:55:52 PM by icefishin247.com »
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

Pike/Musky Leaders
« on: December 17, 2006, 08:34:09 PM »

Skammer

Re: Leaders
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 08:35:07 AM »
Looks like a great set up! The spinner blades gotta be a great attractant!

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
Re: Leaders
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 06:13:05 PM »
Looks like a great set up! The spinner blades gotta be a great attractant!

A little flash a little wobble and rattle. It hasn't hurt any.

The leaders in the pics were fresh made last night and were 12" long. The depth I am fishing varies so greatly when I get a chance to fish for pike that I don't tie on the mono upper section till I know where I am headed. If it is a new spot then I add the mono on site. Some of the places that I fish for pike are so shallow that the 1 foot wire leader is just right. I clip them to my main line with a cross lock swivel. When ever I can I prefer to use a good 4 or 5 feet of 14lb test mono between my wire leader and the Dacron main line with another swivel at that junction as well. I weight the leader by placing a 1/8 or 1/4 oz split shot at the end of the Dacron then gradually smaller sized shots spaced evenly down the mono section two or three. You can regulate the freedom and the movement of a bait by adjusting the shots weight and their position on the leader. Bigger bait bigger shot, inactive fish slow down the bait with heavier shot.

Drawbacks of the wire leaders are that they hard to keep straight and of you have a good day on the ice you will be making up some replacements that night. I roll mine up and use twist ties to keep them separate or stick them in foam and keep them in a plastic case. I have a couple more pics these are last years leaders they didn't get much use due to the short season. The case is a Graco baby wipe container lined with closed cell foam.
FM'

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 11:08:58 PM by icefishin247.com »
Have an Ice Day!

Skammer

Re: Pike/Musky Leaders
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 09:34:16 AM »
Good idea with the closed cell foam box. I did use wire leaders on occasion when I did fish with tip-ups for pike & pickerel but had a hard time keeping them from getting a "Curl" in them. Once that wire gets curled it is impossibe to straighten out!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 09:34:16 AM »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 04:40:57 PM »
Good idea with the closed cell foam box. I did use wire leaders on occasion when I did fish with tip-ups for pike & pickerel but had a hard time keeping them from getting a "Curl" in them. Once that wire gets curled it is impossibe to straighten out!

The braided stuff is not too bad it is the kinks that kill 'em.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 05:50:24 PM »
This a JiggerJim post that I have copied and pasted here to add some other points of view to this thread.
FM

"All though I dont fish for the toothy critters I do know that Braded line like Power Pro and other line like it will hole up really good agenst them. I used it agenst Bluefish and lost very few fish with it. Theres alway that slim chance they will bite through it, but then I know the wire will break as well.

Just use line with about 50 -60 lb test, tie it to a barrel swivel with a Palamar knot, tie the same knot to a hook of your choice. The leader only has to be about 8 to 10" long. You might cheak it from time to time to see if its getting frayed."
Have an Ice Day!

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 05:52:45 PM »
Good idea Jigger! I don't like the stuff on my spinning rods but It could be a good choice for a strong leader for pike and the like. How do you cut it I remember that being one of my main problems with it!
FM
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 07:45:13 PM by icefishin247.com »
Have an Ice Day!

Offline jigerjim

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 06:41:41 PM »
Good idea Jigger! I don't like the stuff on my spinning rods but It could be a good choice for a strong leader for pike and the like. How do you cut it I remember that beinh one of my main problems with it!
FM

You can cut it with a sharp knife, but you got to press the knife on something hard. You can also buy a pair of scissors made just for the braided line, they cost about $5.00, in a lot of the better tackle store's.
Stay on topKeep your line wetI have off tomorrow

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 06:41:41 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question