Author Topic: A tip up stradegy ( a missed fish)  (Read 2369 times)

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
A tip up stradegy ( a missed fish)
« on: February 02, 2009, 03:27:22 PM »
So you just missed a fish. Perch flags, wind flags, dropped baits, or the flag just tripped and went up for no reason, whatever the cause there are occasions when you can get involved and turn a bad break into one of the most exciting things you can do with a tip up...

Yesterday I was in the middle of a brown trout circus. I was litterally running from tip up to tip up trying to keep up with the fish. One tip up went off and there was nothing attached. The line was run out a few feet and the minnow was pretty crippled but in the chaos I decided to just put it back in and go re bait a few others that need attention. I took a few steps, turned, looked over my shoulder and the flag was back up. I got back to it and there was nothing again. I lifted the line and could feel the weight of the minnow. Instead of pulling it in and re baiting I jigged the minnow and waited, nothing. I tried this again and then slowly started to bring in the hook to re bait. Right under the hole the brown struck violently and I had him hooked holding the fluorocarbon leader in my hand. The fish pumped up and down then the line sawed into a crack in the ice and stuck I couldn't get it free quickly enough to save the catch but I did get a cheap thrill and a reminder that a perch flag is sometimes more than a perch.

The first time I had this experience was on Simon Pond part of Tupper Lake. I had set out some tip ups for pike and was checking the baits and as I raised one I saw a pike take a swipe at my bait near the hole. I dropped the bait back into the water and quickly found that there was a pair of pike fighting to be the catch of the day. I hooked one and landed it enjoying the exciting on ice drama. This all came to mind sunday afternoon as I was teasing the brown into striking. I kept at it when I had the perch / wind flags and hooked and this time landed a brown from a different hole. I have always maintained that the attraction of tip ups is the idea of doing hand to hand combat with a large fish no graphite rod or Teflon drag washers to cover a mistake just your hands vs the fish. Catching a fish on a tip up after a perch / wind flag is even more exciting. I may have to give handlining a try.
FM
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 10:10:40 PM by fishin_musician »
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

A tip up stradegy ( a missed fish)
« on: February 02, 2009, 03:27:22 PM »

Offline brownmk19

Re: A tip up stradegy ( a missed fish)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 02:18:38 PM »
I just read this thread and although it's from a few years ago, it's a great topic worthy of further discussion. Here's my two cents, on a slight tangent:

In my experience, sometimes the most dangerous time for your shiner/chub/sucker is on the drop down. I've had plenty of fish, especially bass hammer the bait as it descends. I try to use the lightest split shot I can get away with on my leader because I want to bait to slowly flutter to the bottom (thus increasing the chance that it will the draw the attention of a nearby fish), as opposed to being sucked down by a heavy sinker. Using a lighter split shot does mean that feeding the line down the hole is a bit more time consuming, especially in cold weather, but I think it's well worth it.

I've also learned not to be fooled or disheartened when you get to your tip up and notice that only a couple inches/feet of line have been stripped from the spool by a potential fish. Pickerel and Pike are notorious for this. My biggest pickerel to date (a fish that easily went 28"-29") exhibited this behavior. I ran over to the flag only to think it had been tripped by a small perch or some other nonsense, as pickerel had inhaled the bait and basically sat right there.....only taking a couple inches of line. The depth marker was clearly visible right below the spool. I was in for quite the surprise when I grabbed the line and felt the weight of an enormous pickerel on the end of it. A quick hookset ensued  :o ::) A few minutes later, one of the biggest pickerel I had ever laid eyes on was topside!

Last winter, I caught a Striper out of the Pack and the same phenomena occurred. The fish did take some line, but not much and by the time I got to the tip up, the spindle had stopped turning completely. I was expecting a small pickerel, but I was delightfully wrong. Although there are exceptions to every generalization, bass seem to be runners. Once they take the bait, they take off. Same goes for walleyes, in my experience. As far as setting the hook goes, I tend to set the hook while the fish is running with the bait and I have a pretty good success rate with that policy. If I'm pretty certain the flag is the result of a pickerel, I may wait for the fish to stop running before I whack him. I guess it just depends what my gut tells me in the heat of the moment. I used to use single hooks on tip ups, but I've switched to quality treble hooks and I've had better success. With that in mind, I'm curious as to what everyone else's mentality is when it comes to setting the hook with a tip up. Do you guys wait for the fish to stop running or do you set the hook while the fish is taking off?

Hope everyone is enjoying their Thanksgiving!

Mike

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 09:39:45 PM »
Cool topic to bring back,  I don't know how many times at the end of the day I went around to pick up the "still set" tip-ups only to have the flag go up as I walked close to it, always a pickerel, my thinking is they were just sitting there with the bait and until something disturbed them they didn't even move.

Getting back to FM's post, a couple years ago I was on a shallow lake up on Red Rock Mountain, I was dropping a good sized bait down on my tip-up and saw 2 or 3 pickerel swiping at it as it lowered into the water.  I basically hand lined a couple on to the ice, it was cool to see, they reminded me of small sharks cruising by and taking rips  at the bait.

Offline Icemole

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 05:35:46 AM »
 If I'm up in pickerel territory I always "jig" my tip-ups as I go around checking bait/skimming holes. I've probably caught just as many that way as with just the bait hanging - LOL  Don't notice it as much with other fish although trout can be pretty aggressive too.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 05:35:46 AM »

Offline zziipp

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 04:34:12 AM »
Jig the bait a lil and reset the flag.that's where a line marker for depth comes in handy.so you know what depth to stop at to reset the flag.i like to go over to my tips every hr and bring the bait up some and lower it back down. A lot of times in a couple mins fish on.some times you don't even get a minute.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 04:39:52 AM by zziipp »
WHO SAID WE CAN'T WALK ON WATER.MUST BE A LAND LOVER.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 04:34:12 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question