Author Topic: Epping-Springbrook Dam North Dakota  (Read 3608 times)

Offline perch tugger

• See that now thats a fish just look at my Vexilar
Epping-Springbrook Dam North Dakota
« on: December 28, 2008, 06:23:08 PM »
Got home late last night from Great Falls Montana was there for Christmas.  I got up late so I decided to head out to Epping-Springbrook Dam as it is only a 18 minuet drive from the house and has perch, walleye and northern in it.  The day turned out nice for a change we got up to 28 degrees today with a large front coming in I thought the fishing might be fair in the early afternoon.  I marked fish and drilled about 40 holes but only got 3 bites and they were very lite hits.  Here I am waiting for some good bites that never came.

The ice is nice and clear with a blanket of 4 to 10 inches of snow on top of the 12 to 14 inches of ice.

Another 3 pound perch trow it back.

Ice Fishing 247

Epping-Springbrook Dam North Dakota
« on: December 28, 2008, 06:23:08 PM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
Re: Epping-Springbrook Dam North Dakota
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 06:38:22 PM »
Looks like you guys have driven right out on the ice! I've done it plenty of times but only with about 18". Your ice looks great. We should be picking up our lock in ice by next weekend. Today was abysmal with some temps in the high 50's
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline perch tugger

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 06:45:30 PM »
yes we are driving out on all the smaller lakes and ponds.  I hope the weather is good here for New Years day so i can get out and start the year out with some good numbers of fish.

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 10:59:44 PM »
Great looking ice, now all we need are fish pics  ;)

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 10:59:44 PM »

Offline MTrook

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 09:18:01 AM »
I moved from Great Falls out here to PA last July, sure do miss fishing for northerns! Ice looks great! have a great season out there.
Working to support my hunting and fishing addictions

Offline perch tugger

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 12:55:30 PM »
Wow with the way the weather fronts have been crashing through North Dakota it has made it hard and in some places allmost impossible to get on the ice witch is over 24 inches thick in most places around here.  I went out to Epping-Springbrook Dam this past Saturday only to find the roads into it had over 2 feet of snow on them and even deeper drifts.  It was a cold day so I was a pansy and never tried to walk in instead I went home and took the wife out for lunch.  After lunch I got to thinking why not drive out to Trenton lake and see if I could get in there, it was tough but I made it in and got on the ice only not where I wanted to be as there was at least 18 inches of snow on the lake everything was a nice white color. I was driving right along heading to the spot I wanted to try for crappie when I met a 3 to 3 1/2 foot snow drift and it was stuck time.

I started shoveling then the thought hit me Perch Tugger your on the ice drill a couple of holes and fish, so I did as my thoughts advised I drilled a couple holes and got a couple of lines in (as I said I wasn't where I wanted to fish) did some more shoveling and more jigging of the lines (not even a nibble and nothing on the Vexilar).  Then came another pick-up and they got stuck in a bigger drift about 25 to 35 feet from me and they sure knew how to spin there tires. They must have spun them for about a half hour before they got out of the cluches of the drift they were in.  I think all the noise they made never helped my chances of getting a bite so I pulled in my lines and finished shoveling and backed right out of the drift that thought it had me for good and headed home as the wind was blowing real good by this time.  Half way back to the house I got to thinking (you had the camera was at 2 differnt fishing spots and not even one picture to show how bad the conditions are).  Well I made it home and now the weather is a little on the chilly side we were -31 below at 10 pm last night and -35 below at 7 am this morningand they are calling for more of the white stuff tonight.

Then we are to have a warm up so I am going to give it a try again this weekend as it is a 3 day weekend for me I hope to get out at least 2 of the 3 days.  Will take the camera and at least take a few pictures if I can't fish.
Get out there and do some fishing this weekend and have a good time with friends and family as well as mother nature.

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 03:10:24 PM »
I'm eagerly waiting to see some of your pics, by the sounds of it you've got winter up the wazoo.

Offline perch tugger

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 06:33:30 PM »
I'm eagerly waiting to see some of your pics, by the sounds of it you've got winter up the wazoo.

To say the least.  But I am going out this week end and going to give it my all (now where's my dynomite?)

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 06:33:30 PM »

Offline perch tugger

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 12:32:07 AM »
Was out on Epping-Springbrook Dam on Sunday it is tough going but if you are carefull and watch you can get around with a 4x4 pick-up or atv and snowmobiles.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 12:32:07 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question