Author Topic: Big Picks  (Read 1796 times)

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
Big Picks
« on: December 19, 2008, 02:46:23 PM »
One of the personal challenges I have made for myself this year is to get a big Pickerel. I have gotten a few in my open/ice fishing years that were 26' but it has been a while. None that i have gotten recently have been in that class. I had one one last week that might have been that big or bigger all I ever saw of it was a while flash under the ice before the mono leader was sliced through and it was lost. I want a really big honking one 30 or 32 inches would do the trick. No more mono leaders for me. I tied up some pickerel weight 8 lb test wire leaders last night. I have some nice medium chubs and I'm on the hunt for big picks. Last week after I missed the big guy I tied on a wire leader and being out of any bigger bait decided to hook up a 5" perch that I had tossed into my bait bucket up at Steven's lake earlier in the week. It wasn't more than 10 minutes than I had a flag and a 22 inch pickerel on the perch. Anyone have any thoughts on catching trophy picks?
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

Big Picks
« on: December 19, 2008, 02:46:23 PM »

Offline billbo

Re: Big Picks
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 05:03:57 PM »
We've gotten some honkers out of Millers and Greeley

Offline carcaju

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 05:32:22 PM »
saratoga lake has some giants

Offline billy h

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »
long pond has some monsters!!! my best day was at the pack off of iron wood 3 pickerel 32-33-34 sorry was not into taking pics back then

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 06:51:39 PM »
long pond has some monsters!!! my best day was at the pack off of iron wood 3 pickerel 32-33-34 sorry was not into taking pics back then

Was that in the bay around the corner where they have the marina or accross the lake on those flats?
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 12:34:07 AM »
Was that in the bay around the corner where they have the marina or accross the lake on those flats?
FM

Here is a pic of the leaders I tied up specially with pickerel in mind.
FM

Have an Ice Day!

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 06:25:26 AM »
That's what I like, some flash! 

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 07:23:03 AM by HenryDavid »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 12:39:34 PM »
And your camera I'm hoping. lol Good luck with that! I had Long Pond in mind and Lackawanna SP too. I wouldn't have thought of the pack so that is just one more reason to get up there and fish later in the season.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 12:39:34 PM »

Offline duffy

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 02:02:30 PM »
Once we get safer ice i'll get ahold of you, i've got a spot that the pick drive you nuts, got two over 30 last winter out of it. It has all the other fish in it two and not far from home.

Offline billy h

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 03:31:08 PM »
straight out from the boat launch about 70-100 yards

Offline gee-dub

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 01:10:28 AM »
i'm going to bump this thread, as i'd like to go after some bigger picks this year.  my best last year came out of the pack, so that is definitely on my list.  long pond is close enough to me that i could make the trip if it is worth it.  any other promising spots to try?  FM, how did this all end up for you?  last i saw you, i don't recall you were targeting the toothies.

also, for those that jig up big picks, what line do you use?  i was thinking fireline micro ice 6lb, but that doesn't seem beefy enough.

bring on the ice already :)

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 07:13:14 AM »
I was after them when we were up at Shahola. Also the day that we taped the Lackawanna State Park piece I was all revved up to get one. Luck was not in my favor but Nemo got a pig that day. I treat them just like I would Northern Pike a light steel leader and bigger bait. I try to find weed edges to set up on. My biggest last winter came outta the Pack too. It was probably about 24" as I recall.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 07:13:14 AM »

Offline gee-dub

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 01:30:29 AM »
ah yes, i'd like to put shahola back on my list, that was a good day (although not as productive as it might have been).  LSP is not exactly next door, but certainly not out of the question either.  hope to bump into you again this season (along with the other guys i've met here!).

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 01:30:29 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question