Author Topic: Wallenpaupack  (Read 638 times)

Offline slusser77

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
Wallenpaupack
« on: February 05, 2021, 08:47:50 AM »
Its been two weeks since I was last up to the Pack fishing the coves and the main body was still open. Does anyone know if they are running sleds or ATVs on the ice yet? Is the  main body safe to walk across? Cant tell by the Doc cams and its 1-1/2 hour drive for me. Plan on heading up for the weekend.
Thanks and Safe Fishing!

Ice Fishing 247

Wallenpaupack
« on: February 05, 2021, 08:47:50 AM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
Re: Wallenpaupack
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 09:07:41 AM »
It's an hour for me as well. After this weekend the weekenders will have been tearing around up there and have some paths packed down I hope. I was going to head up to Sterling this morning but woke up to snow and didn't want to get stuck on 81 or 84 behind an accident. Probably go somewhere up there tomorrow. If I do I'll post conditions.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline pabassman

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 01:11:29 PM »
Its been two weeks since I was last up to the Pack fishing the coves and the main body was still open. Does anyone know if they are running sleds or ATVs on the ice yet? Is the  main body safe to walk across? Cant tell by the Doc cams and its 1-1/2 hour drive for me. Plan on heading up for the weekend.
Thanks and Safe Fishing!
[/quote

Its pretty much the same as before. Most of the lake is frozen but didnt cap til late last week. There have been some atv/sleds but limited areas. I went on a scout mission Saturday. Fished Ironwood 1 til 3. Couple dinks. A few other guys out. Everybody stayed from the mouth of the cove back. Ice wast good out toward the lake. I had a solid 5" out from the cove side ramp. Two other spots I checked had nobody on them. State was busy, 30 or more but nobody ventured much past the dam. I have several Pack buddies and all said they wouldnt trust a machine now.

Offline slusser77

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 10:09:52 AM »
Thanks bassman. I'm on the lake now, 10-12", brutal breaking through frozen snow every step. 2 hours, got 4 perch, very finicky.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 10:09:52 AM »

Online IamICE

• Ice Man
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 10:59:23 AM »
I believe there’s a tournament out of main launch at dam today... It’s free... lots of prized... You must fish that area in visual site... I know I m late with post... maybe somebody is fishing it and may be able to post results... Sorry for late post wasn’t around yesterday...

Offline pabassman

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 01:06:47 PM »
Thanks bassman. I'm on the lake now, 10-12", brutal breaking through frozen snow every step. 2 hours, got 4 perch, very finicky.

It terrible. I cant make those treks thru that snow/slush mess like I used too. Too old too fat lol.

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 04:47:49 PM »
I went to the pack today as well, to get my share of pain and degradation.  The most I can say is it was a beautiful day.  Snow up to my knees, one old timer, like me, lol said he hit some drifts up to his thighs. I was off sterling, snow was 15 tp 20 in spots. Slush here and there but less than expected. Howling wind, no fish, gotta love it!
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline IceSpartan

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 05:07:40 PM »
I went to the pack today as well, to get my share of pain and degradation.  The most I can say is it was a beautiful day.  Snow up to my knees, one old timer, like me, lol said he hit some drifts up to his thighs. I was off sterling, snow was 15 tp 20 in spots. Slush here and there but less than expected. Howling wind, no fish, gotta love it!
FM
I’ll give you credit, FM.  You are a soldier!  I haven’t been out since the big storm.  My knees just don’t work that well in snowdrifts at this age any more. 

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 05:07:40 PM »

Offline slusser77

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 06:03:55 PM »
I was humbled also. 62 years old and couldn't trudge past 300 yards out with the sled. Made it to 30' and about collapsed. Fished 4 hours and got a 8 keeper perch and gills.  Good thing was 12" ice. And yes, the snow was murder. Each step on top of the crusted snow pushed down 6" making it tough. The bite has been extremely light all week. If you trust the Lunar tables, this was a poor to moderate week with the last 2 weeks of February turning on. Fished mid way up the lake 590 side. Drove to the hot food bar near the Wallenpaupack sport shop (which is take out only, wont let you in the store) and saw at least 20 tents out from the pfc launch. Saw people at sterling marina and Ledgedale. 
Fish were hugging the bottom, got them to come up to a foot and look and really had to entice them to hit. Tried minnows, small tungsten's, pimples, flies, didn't seem to matter, caught them on a variety of those lures tipped with wax worms.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 06:03:55 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question