Author Topic: Sylvan  (Read 433 times)

Offline slusser77

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
Sylvan
« on: February 04, 2021, 06:13:17 PM »
After leaving Francis Slocum, we headed home and stopped at Sylvan for 3 hours, marked loads of fish, threw everything at them- jig and dead stick live minnows, pimples with wax worms, tungsten tear drops, plastic swim baits and it was a chore to get them to bite. At times there were as many as 3-4 marks on the bait looked like a huge red globe. Strange day. Had one slammer "something " that broke my 3lb micro ice. Landed a 16" bow.
Chalk one up for the fish today. Released all Slocum fish, the youngster I was with wanted to eat the Bow. Ran into a fellow hard water warrior who landed 2 trout in the morning.
Great day on the ice!

Ice Fishing 247

Sylvan
« on: February 04, 2021, 06:13:17 PM »

Online pabassman

Re: Sylvan
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 06:37:42 PM »
After leaving Francis Slocum, we headed home and stopped at Sylvan for 3 hours, marked loads of fish, threw everything at them- jig and dead stick live minnows, pimples with wax worms, tungsten tear drops, plastic swim baits and it was a chore to get them to bite. At times there were as many as 3-4 marks on the bait looked like a huge red globe. Strange day. Had one slammer "something " that broke my 3lb micro ice. Landed a 16" bow.
Chalk one up for the fish today. Released all Slocum fish, the youngster I was with wanted to eat the Bow. Ran into a fellow hard water warrior who landed 2 trout in the morning.
Great day on the ice!

I was there in the morning 7:15 til noon. Same thing. Got a couple but lots of lookers.

Offline brittman

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 07:04:52 AM »
Sylvan is in my front yard and I've watched a lot of guys experience the same thing out there. Lots of marks but they are tight lipped. hoping to get out there this weekend for a little night fishing

Offline slusser77

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 08:37:46 AM »
That lake has always been a real mystery to me, I know fish get lock jaw and have certain feeding times, plus lunar affects.  Only in December 2017 when we had a deep freeze did I catch my limit of trout 2-3 times/week there, they were like piranhas. I couldn't even raise a gill or perch yesterday, just that lone rainbow. Its humbling. But it sure was a beautiful day. Good luck! 

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 08:37:46 AM »

Offline brittman

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 12:30:10 PM »
Thanks Slusser. Times are gone since my grandfather and I would crush the perch and panfish. his homemade jigs and my jigging rap was all we needed. Since the lake association began treating the lake to control the lily pads I've noticed a distinct change in the food chain. The large blobs of catfish spawn, crayfish, leechs and even the green header frogs are pretty much gone. humans can sure mess up a good thing.

Offline slusser77

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 06:10:57 PM »
So that's the answer!  I didn't know they had done that. I wondered what had happened and was blaming it on fishing pressure and outdoor life channel 16 for airing that small impoundment 3 years or so ago as a perch bonanza.

Offline brittman

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 12:00:43 PM »
Sad but true, if you notice the old spillway was also replaced with no thought to the walleye. Now the walleye simply go out the drainage pipes they installed. found several large breeders down below in the creek. oI

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 12:00:43 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question