Author Topic: Eskimo Outbreak 250XD  (Read 446 times)

Offline slipperybob

• Ice Man
Eskimo Outbreak 250XD
« on: December 22, 2020, 03:00:54 AM »
So the new Eskimo Outbreak XD Shelters hit the market this year.  By chance I went on an impulse buy the 250XD.  There is nothing wrong with my older 949i but like everything, I was sort of getting tire of the occasional trip on the door.  Especially if one is wearing full mountaineering crampons and those little one inch spikes can tear into fabric easily if one is not paying attention to their foot placement.  Yeah I killed a few fish just stepping them as well.

Anyway I did have a chance to unpackaged the shelter a gave it a quick set up in the backyard.  The new Storm Shield insulated fabric has the outermost layer not thermal weld/stitched through to the inside layer.  It's not like the old Insulated Quilted Fabric where the pinholes looses insulation and often is the first spot to frost over while in use.  While I have not had the chance to give the new Outbreak 250XD a real try, it's gonna get the full run around.

My preliminary review of the shelter and parts are that the six ice screws that came with it seems to be a slight less quality over that older Eskimo ice screws.  The metal appears to be a slightly softer type and noticeably that the threading is not as sharp, nor the point is not as narrow pointy.  The shelter comes with two good straps.  Compared to my older 949i, those came with little strings that were just a tad bigger than shoelaces.  I had to go back and buy another pair of straps so I can have four altogether.

After set up, I notice that some of the poles on the down side were awkward not fully deployed straight.  It seems that the pockets were sewn like a half inch short.  It's the same for the two poles for the door stability.  They are bowed rather noticeably.  There like a full two inch bow that's out of place.  Hopefully the material will stretch out after some uses, but then again, it's also possible for the material to shrink. 

The skirt has a coating on the underside.  It might work well when new.  I figure that it might be prone to material degradation overtime and like the polyurethane coating on a lot of nylon bags.  The shelter bag seems to have this same coating too. 

At the moment when checking out the zippers on my shelter, I notice that the teeth are misaligned every few inches or so.  That's a bad sign, but the zipper holds well so it may not be an issue.  It's just discerning while the zipper is on a straight path and not the curved part.  Kind of suggests that the zipper was not sewn onto the tent while zipped and was sewn separately while fully open. 

What's impressive was the newer hub deployment.  They sounded sure and responsive.   I didn't have the feel to force the deployment of the walls.  Also with the full door entry fully open it was slightly different while being able to be walk inside the shelter to set up each side walls and roof. 

The reflective material sewn onto the edges of the window looks fresh and stylish new.  However since it creates a flap, that has potential to collect condensation or snow onto it.  I cannot fully understand the gear mesh as since I can only put rather light items into it.  The openings on the side of it is counterproductive as the sides are where the opening is at leaving only a small corner pocket to actually hold anything.  The majority of it is wasted on the top portion.

Overall it is a very well thought out design.  Looking forward to getting a lot of use out of it.

Ice Fishing 247

Eskimo Outbreak 250XD
« on: December 22, 2020, 03:00:54 AM »

Offline slipperybob

• Ice Man
Re: Eskimo Outbreak 250XD
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 11:54:18 AM »
To recap after a few try runs.

The new ball and socket hub deploys much easier and smoother.  Also on the take down it's much smoother than other previous hubs I've used.  The new Stormshield fabric is a lot of improvment over the old Insulated Quilted fabric.  The reduced pinhole effect of light through that welding stitching and the no condensation frost build up on the stitching is a huge improvement. 

During my try run the poles were still bowing especially the two for the door frame support.  However after turning the heat on and the shack warmed up some and after a few hours, the material did stretch out some and the bowing of the poles reduced dramatically.  On most days of my set up, there was only a slight breeze and I deployed only two anchors and tie downs on the wind side.  The shelter did not shake or wobble at all.  Even on the rain wet snow day, there was significant wind that shelter remained stable with four anchors and tie downs deployed.   When compared to my old 949i the 250XD was much more stable.  I did not experience any zipper freeze up issues although I was expecting to encounter that with the big door zipper, no condensation build up.  I also did not even use the side door once, so I cannot say anything more about the function of the misaligned zipper teeth on that door.

The big door is a huge efficiency with movement of gear.  Because the door is a bit too narrow with the width of 24" it would not accommodate my Jet Sled XL with it's 30" width.  I had to empty the sled to angle it to fit inside the shelter. 

The day with the rain and wet snow, the Stormshield fabric did really well to bead water off the outer shell.  The windows however were pretty much moisture water trap and I got a good constant water drip inside the shelter through the velcrows.  The skirting with it's undercoating did very well to remain moisture resistant and beads water off easily on the take down and pack up.  The storage bad itself may inititially bead water, but easily soaks up water afterwards.  By the time I pulled my sled out to the place I wanted to fish, I had to deal with a damp bag.

One thing I noticed that the zipper on the full door easily opens up during take down and set up.  Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  For one getting to the inside of the shelter immediately can be a good thing.  The other thing is deployment stability, with that zipper opened.  Not sure how that will affect the efficiency of set up as it's a different methodology to the shelter deployment of a common four sided hub shelter.   I will say that the first few times it threw me off.  I did get more accustomed to it afterwards.  I just need to make sure the two opposite hub sides are deployed first rather than the two adjacent ones.

I am using an extra strap to wrap up the shelter material on the take down.  There's nothing wrong with the velcrow strap that came with the shelter but I just find that a bit too short in most situations.  I do also use it as a supplement and it helps out.

It's great hub shelter, I definitely recommend it.

Ice Fishing 247

Re: Eskimo Outbreak 250XD
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 11:54:18 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question