Author Topic: Fishing with Mobility Issues  (Read 526 times)

Offline Beers

• Ice Man
Fishing with Mobility Issues
« on: December 17, 2020, 01:23:15 PM »
This past spring I had a somewhat extensive surgery leaving me with a rod in my femur, an artificial knee, the top 7 inches of my tibia removed then replaced with a cadaver bone and a big rod that extends down almost to my ankle and some of my muscles rearranged. I'm told that once I'm finished with physical therapy I will be able to return to "most normal activities'  I'm told I won't be able to run fast, jump, ski/snowboard, play contact sports or kneel. I'm only 36 and I'm told if I want to make my new parts last another 35+ years I should be mindful of the activities I do - injuring anything in that leg would have much more serious complications.

Ultimately I would like to get back on the ice. I'm sure there has to be some other people out there with health issues who have made some adaptations to be able to ice fish. If so - what changes have you made?

Ice Fishing 247

Fishing with Mobility Issues
« on: December 17, 2020, 01:23:15 PM »

Online IamICE

• Ice Man
Re: Fishing with Mobility Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 01:40:46 PM »
Well, I can only tell you my story... I was struck with a automobile in 1980... I was dead on the table ... brought back from Jesus... had a body cast on... and still icefished... lol... probably a case of young and dumb... but love the outdoors to much... I was pulled on a toboggan to lake then used crutches ... when there was snow to get around... even got stuck in a major snow storm like that and couldn’t get out of Balylors swamp “ Lackawanna county” and had to crutch it to nearby house to get rescued from family.., lol... long walk to top of hill...lol... so I guess we can do whatever possible we think we can... you heal well first... lots of seasons to get back out there... your health is priority... lots of fish in the lakes to catch... let the other guys get the smaller ones... the big ones will wait to fill your bucket... get better and good luck on your recovery...God Bless!!!!

Offline Beers

• Ice Man
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 02:28:57 PM »
This season is definitely out for me, I'm looking at next season and beyond. I'm thinking not being able to kneel by a hole will be an adjustment - but there's nothing you cant do sitting on a bucket right? I always wear cleats - investing in a better set should help decrease my chances of falling on the ice.

Online Van_Cleaver

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 05:19:45 PM »
My first suggestion would be a really comfortable seat; maybe a light fold up job. Second would be a really long handled scoop; most nice fish are lost at the hole. After that you need a good buddy that can help you with set up and or dragging. Best of luck and hope you heal up as well as possible!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 05:19:45 PM »

Online capt.crappie

• Ice Man
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 10:33:25 AM »
Tearing my Quad tendon off 4 years ago has hampered my out door activities. I don't climb on the rocks &  shore fish like I used too. As far as ice fishing.  Kneeling down to the hole is not near as easy as it was once was. Getting back up is the hardest part. I wear Korker's for my ice cleats. Im more carefull than I used to be. But the last few years. I have not been on the ice that often. Due to the fact that we don't really get safe ice. In SEPA anymore. Good luck in your adventures Beer. Your a young man yet  !<>!

Online Filetandrelease

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 12:06:24 PM »
 Don’t give up just take it little slower , I can’t kneel , my seat is adjusted to a certain height , now I find it’s much easier ,
 I won’t get into my issues , let just say I’m lucky to be here , so I believe a persons will allows us to over come many things , and I wish all of you a positive minded and safe season

« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 05:36:32 AM by Filetandrelease »

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 12:06:24 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question