Author Topic: Recognizing ice conditions  (Read 795 times)

Offline slusser77

• Ice Man
Recognizing ice conditions
« on: January 25, 2020, 10:06:49 AM »
Assuming everyone understands Ice thickness safety- but there is so much more to ice safety than its thickness. Yesterday while going out at 7am on an even 4" of hard clear ice with marginal air bubbles in it, the sun came up very bright, gusts of wind occasionally. I was with two other gents and around 11am-just 4 hours later I noticed the ice changing color first, from clear black ice to a very white appearance. I began to watch it closely as we continued to fish, the temps went from about 28-44 by 1PM, wind continuing to be a problem and sun really throwing the heat down as we were down to our base layers and in a northern county above 2400 feet. As I began to walk I noticed with each step the ice was blowing up under my feet. I could see fractures with bubbles under the ice coming up toward the surface of the ice. We immediately got off.
Ive been ice fishing for 47 years, still my favorite sport, but should have gotten off before noon.
Pay attention to changing ice conditions! and remember-
YOU CAN NEVER BE TO SAFE!
FISH-ON ICE WARRIORS!

Ice Fishing 247

Recognizing ice conditions
« on: January 25, 2020, 10:06:49 AM »

Offline chez

• PBR Man
Re: Recognizing ice conditions
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 10:58:33 AM »
Great tip.
Glad you made it off...
Take it from someone that went three 3 times.once over my head.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline kenP

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 02:33:27 PM »
good post - might save someone's life

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 02:48:25 PM »
I was in a similar situation on Stevens Lake years ago. Fishing on nice 3.5 to 4 inch ice early in the morning same thing happened sunny and getting warmer. I had to leave at noon but my friends were staying to keep at it. On my way out I noticed that things were deteriorating and called them quickly to warn. The packed up and got off safely, thanking me later. it should go w/o saying that you have to use all your senses when your out on the ice, eyes, ears, touch, not your nose so much I guess, but the most important one is the one some guys will never have... common sense. Glad you made it off and posed a warning for the rest of us.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 02:48:25 PM »

Offline brownmk19

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 06:45:46 PM »
Glad you're safe and you got off. I think all of your senses kinda coalesce into a basic gut instinct.......sometimes it just doesn't  "feel" right. .....like FM said. That happened to me a few years ago during a mid winter thaw on Lackawanna lake. The air temp was in the upper 40's and the sun was strong.  Open water along the shore so I put my wooden plank out and barely shimmied out to "good" ice.....all 5 inches of it
 The ice was milky white in appearance.  I walked a few feet further out and looked back at the open water I had just barely gotten over. It just felt too sketchy,  at least for me. I just had a bad feeling. Begrudgingly,  I turned around and went home. Who knows.......may have saved my life. I feel like I may have used a couple of my nine lives already anyways.  I definitely have been out ice fishing the river on barely 4" of clear solid black ice, but the air temp was mild, approaching 29-30 degrees.....which looking back,  wasn't one of my wiser or prouder decisions.  Especially on the river,  things can change in an instant, almost literally.  Glad you're still with us.

Mike

Offline Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 05:57:35 AM »
 Never can be to careful,  Good tips  , we use a spud to check  ice integrity, looks feel and the sound ,
 2 things that won’t lie to you a Stanley tape and your ice spud 👍
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 07:59:01 AM by Filetandrelease »

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 05:28:22 PM »
I agree 100% Freddy 8)
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 05:28:22 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question