Author Topic: 8 Inch Nils Conversion  (Read 357 times)

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
8 Inch Nils Conversion
« on: January 30, 2019, 09:09:30 PM »
I'm trying an experiment with my Nils auger. I picked up the 1/2 inch drill adaptor I'm going to see how it works with the Ridgid drill that I have. I had a brand new blade for the auger so I put that on today and charged up my batteries for the drill. Once we are over this deep freeze I'm going to see how it cuts. I've read that the Milwaukee Fuel Drill is the best for the job but I'm not the sort to go out and cut holes like swiss cheese than only fish a few of them. I'm more deliberate. If I can get twenty holes in 12 inches of ice I will consider it a success.  Anyone have any experience with 8 inch bits on electric drills?
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

8 Inch Nils Conversion
« on: January 30, 2019, 09:09:30 PM »

Offline Jiggerman

Re: 8 Inch Nils Conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 11:13:28 PM »
FM I'm pretty new to the electric drill auger combos but I am running a 7 inch nero auger o a Milwaukee fuel and am very impressed with it.  It goes through extremely fast (like 3 seconds for 7 inches).   I wanted the 8 inch auger but they still had come out with the 8 inch nero even though it was pictured in the catalog.   I am interested in how the 8 inch nils works also because that's what my power auger is.  I thought about taking the power head off and giving it a whirl. 

Are you still using the blue nils or do actually have the orange one

Offline FISHFORPIKE

• Ice-Fishing Time
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 05:28:49 AM »
Ran an 8" Nils on IceGator for a several years, Gator "got too heavy". switched to the Milwaulkee M18 and it has been great.  Bought a new 7" Mini Nero this season (again for redusced weight) and with the M18 is a great combo - cuts very well.
Is your Ridgid the Octone model?  It will do what you want, and more.  It'll be a great setup.  And you have the ease of switching back to the hand crank if the drill fails for some reason.
I am very impressed with the battery performance in the cold.  I have left my battery in the box of my truck for days and it still performed, hear the Ridgid Octane batteries are the same.
Drill on low speed, start the hole slow and then put the power to it, all the through.
Good luck with it.
ICE is "NICE"

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 07:40:26 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I will have to see about the drill and battery model they are a few years old probably not the latest and greatest.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 07:40:26 AM »

Offline Thefixr

• Ice Man
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 12:49:23 PM »
I have an old fin bore which is identical to the nils. I sent it to a man Frank Deluca in Wisconsin to sharpen it. It is unbelievable how it cuts on my Bosch 18volt. It is 7". I also use an 8" lazer on the same drill with no problem. Nothing comes close to the nils or the old finbore that I have. 8" of ice in about 4 seconds.

Online cl3

• Pretty good at drinkin' beer
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 03:09:42 PM »
This topic inspired me... I just found a Vendetta Precision Ice Auger Adapter - Stainless Steel on Amazon for my 6" Strikemaster auger and will have it this weekend. It looks like others make interesting adapters with a safety lid or  even straps so the auger won't go though the hole if it slips out of the drill chuck. I feel like that would happen with my 18 volt Dewalt... I saw that you are not supposed to run the drill in reverse, but forward only, always. I think I'll find a plastic lid and get some hose clamps and attached it to the auger in case it does slip out.

Let's see if this works. Seems like we're generally up to at least 8" of ice by now.

Offline Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 04:02:53 PM »

Here is the guy to have your heads adjusted and sharpened , and they are tested before returned , average turn around about a week ,
  Frank Deluca
  5382 Jentoft Rd
  Saginaw Mn 55779
  218-729-7941

Offline Sylvanboat

• Ice Man
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 06:33:32 PM »
Here is the guy to have your heads adjusted and sharpened , and they are tested before returned , average turn around about a week ,
  Frank Deluca
  5382 Jentoft Rd
  Saginaw Mn 55779
  218-729-7941

Frank is well known in IL/WI. He will do a great job for you.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 06:33:32 PM »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 07:44:04 PM »
Mailed it our today, expect it back next Friday.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Online ddmzbevan

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 12:10:32 AM »
Put my new 8" K-dirll to a test today. Milwaukee M18 FUEL with a 5.0 anp hour battery. 10 inches of ice drilled 27 holes nonstop. The whole unit is less than 10lbs. I have 3 batteries so that will be more than enough holes for one day for me. Much better than dragging the gas auger around. 

Offline FISHFORPIKE

• Ice-Fishing Time
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 05:40:48 AM »
ddmzbevan, that's a nice setup for making holes in ice.  8)
ICE is "NICE"

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 12:46:16 PM »
Put my new 8" K-dirll to a test today. Milwaukee M18 FUEL with a 5.0 anp hour battery. 10 inches of ice drilled 27 holes nonstop. The whole unit is less than 10lbs. I have 3 batteries so that will be more than enough holes for one day for me. Much better than dragging the gas auger around.

What's you model # on the Milwaukee? I'm looking at them too, My Ridgid wasn't up to the task.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 12:46:16 PM »

Offline FISHFORPIKE

• Ice-Fishing Time
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 02:23:35 PM »
The tool that most are having good luck with is:
Milwaukee 2704-20 M18 FUEL 1/2" Hammer Drill/Driver (Bare Tool)-Peak Torque = 1,200

Comes with additional, clamp-on handle, for the torque.

That's the one I'm using and it has been flawless.  Got it with 2  5.0A batteries.
Warning on the clamp-on handle.  Make sure the handles is on square and is tight, and check it regularly.  I finally put mine on with blue loctite on the clamp threads.
Some have had the handle come loose and bust out the drill casting.

The 2703-80 M18 FUEL Cordless Lithium-Ion 1/2 in. Brushless Drill Driver is basically the same capability but no hammer mode (which you don't use for the ice augers, anyways. So depends if you are planning on using it for other than ice, and what the best deal is you can find.
ICE is "NICE"

Online ddmzbevan

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 05:03:15 PM »
This is what I just bought.Milwaukee 2803-22 M18 FUEL 1/2 in. Drill Driver Kit. Paid $279 and they had a promo until the end of last month for a extra battery free.

Offline FISHFORPIKE

• Ice-Fishing Time
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 05:56:14 PM »
Good choice - it's a 1200 in. lb. drill.  It will do the job.  8)
ICE is "NICE"

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 05:56:14 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question