Author Topic: Sovtec Tip Ups  (Read 277 times)

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
Sovtec Tip Ups
« on: December 17, 2018, 03:48:09 PM »
I suspect these tip ups were inspired by the Soviet era in Russia. However, they do look very functional and might make a fun project for someone looking for some perch/crappie rigs. They were being put to use on Prompton Dam last Thursday. My thanks to Its Ice for taking and sharing the pics.
FM

Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

Sovtec Tip Ups
« on: December 17, 2018, 03:48:09 PM »

Offline Its ice

• Its ice
Re: Sovtec Tip Ups
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 05:45:14 AM »
The guy was well into his 80s from Russia spoke little to no English. He had yes and no and couple single word statements that’s about it.   He was fishing 5 of his home made tip ups he had placed in about a 20 ft circle. I should have taken a shot of all of the tip ups. Anyway he was hard to understand but it was an awesome experience to try to communicate about his self created metal tip ups.  All I basically got was that he made them himself and he made that way bc he liked to be able to see his spool spin.  He did well and it was great to meet him.  It’s one part of ice fishing that I enjoy as much as fishing.
Watch the ice

Online KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • Open water is nice... but, I'd rather be on ice!!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 06:11:49 AM »
Thanks for sharing! Pretty neat and simple concept. 😎
DO WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU DO....LIFE IS GOOD!

DON'T WORRY FREDDIE....THE BITE WILL GET HOT AT 11:00!!

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 06:35:32 AM »
I have a buddy who has a bunch of those.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 06:35:32 AM »

Offline aio

• Russian Ice Man
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 11:38:13 PM »
Wow! I rarely write but this post I cannot miss  :) I'm from Russia and I used to fish this kind of tip-ups since my first days on ice as a teenager. They are not always homemade though I used to make them myself there are manufactured models and one of the modern manufactured design you may see on avatar. It's a real picture of one I had brought with me to US and still use here and like much more than a typical US design though it may be a matter of habit. However there is a good rationale behind this Russian design especially if you think about Russian ice fishing specifics
- long distances you need to travel on foot carrying everything on you and this Russian design is much more compact and lightweight when packed!
- much colder conditions when water freezes up fast and deep in a hole so you may end up with your tip-up completely stuck in a solid ice in just a few hours (not mentioning an overnight stay!) in which case you need to cut out only the line and you risk to break only the line
- sensitivity! using the flag spring I may tune a force needed for a fish to fire it with a very high precision, also when fish (specifically pike which is a main target back in Russia) bites I clearly see how it spins, when it stops and 'chews' a bait, when it beging to run again and I need to set and some more pluses
I wouldn't say that US design is worse, it has its own pros but no lough! though looking archaic and simplistic this Russian design has a solid background :)

And a quiz now - what do you guys think these devices are for? They all have a rationale behind them too :)

Online KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • Open water is nice... but, I'd rather be on ice!!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 06:07:46 AM »
Great post aio!!!

Those devices in your pic are ice rods mostly from what I can make out. You have a few there that intrigue me though. I’m sure some of the members will chime in to take guesses at some point. Welcome to the site and thank you for sharing your story!!😎🎣🕳
DO WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU DO....LIFE IS GOOD!

DON'T WORRY FREDDIE....THE BITE WILL GET HOT AT 11:00!!

Offline Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 08:45:01 AM »
Those rods I believe are called schooleys  (spelling)   , for shallow water pans they are deadly , I build my own and still use them , simple to build not fancy , mine have a little different design , I use them 10’ and under
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 12:23:51 PM by Filetandrelease »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 12:36:23 PM »
Great post aio! Thank you, please dont hesitate in the future. Any pics of Russian pike?
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 12:36:23 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question