Author Topic: Looking to buy an underwater camrea.  (Read 321 times)

Offline Hachimo

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
Looking to buy an underwater camrea.
« on: November 23, 2018, 02:57:56 PM »
Hey guys can anyone give me suggestions for an underwater camrea? As we know the ice istarting to form and soon enough we will be on it.  Eveery year i put some money away to upgrad/get new gear and this year the wife would like to get a camrea.  Anyone use one and have possitve/negative feedback on them.  Also i imvested in two Jigging JawJackers cant wait to c how they produce.  Anyone get to use one of them last year?   Thanks.  Mike

Ice Fishing 247

Looking to buy an underwater camrea.
« on: November 23, 2018, 02:57:56 PM »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
Re: Looking to buy an underwater camrea.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 03:21:05 PM »
You asked for opinions so I'll offer mine. IMO they are a distraction frome ice fishing. I spent too much time diddling around with the "stuff" and less time really fishing. Not a fan of them for ice fishing.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline DeadBird

• Spring is a dirty word
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 03:33:57 PM »
My opinion is that whether a camera is worth the money, depends on several things. I have a Marcum 825, the picture is top quality but like any camera it's usefulness is limited by water clarity. If the lake you intend to fish is dirty/stained, save your money. For sunfish and perch I have had luck fishing with them, but mostly it's a good tool to learn how the fish behave around your lure, or to study bottom structure. It's surprising what fish are really doing around a jig, an eye opener. Once you figure out what the fish are doing relative to the mark on a fishfinder, the camera kind of loses it's appeal. The Marcum 825 is the same basic camera on the LX9 if you want to buy a combo.

Offline Hachimo

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 04:47:20 PM »
I understand what ur sayin FM. Definetly can be a distraction. Only real reason i want it is to know what kind of fish i have down the hole.  Most of my time is up the pack and many times i had big marks on my shoqdown that just wouldnt hit and i often womder if there eyes/trout or big bass. I figured if i know the species i can swap out poles with lures more suitable for them and c how they react. Deadbird i’m kinda set on the marcum if i buy one. I usually fish 30FOW and was courious if u can still c. But of course all depends on water clarity.  Thanks for ur opinions

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 04:47:20 PM »

Offline DeadBird

• Spring is a dirty word
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 04:21:50 PM »
I understand what ur sayin FM. Definetly can be a distraction. Only real reason i want it is to know what kind of fish i have down the hole.  Most of my time is up the pack and many times i had big marks on my shoqdown that just wouldnt hit and i often womder if there eyes/trout or big bass. I figured if i know the species i can swap out poles with lures more suitable for them and c how they react. Deadbird i’m kinda set on the marcum if i buy one. I usually fish 30FOW and was courious if u can still c. But of course all depends on water clarity.  Thanks for ur opinions

I think you were asking about visibility at 30' depth? The primary variables are water clarity, sunny/cloudy and snow cover. In other words, nice clear black ice on a sunny day gets the best visibility. Usually cloudy days are tough even in clear water. Snow is like cloud cover. If you intend to use the camera to jig, drill a hole on the sun side of your shack so the fish are illuminated as much as possible. Keep the camera as far from your jig as you can to widen the field of view.

Offline brownmk19

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 09:50:40 AM »
I also have a Marcum 825. I used it a couple times last season. FM makes a good point. The unit is useful in actually seeing in real time how a fish is reacting to your presentation, which can be extremely useful, not to mention really cool to watch! However...........I agree with FM that the camera can away from the actual process of fishing. It can be a bit time consuming to set up and you may spend more time fiddling with the camera than actually fishing. Also, the camera works great, but under specific circumstances. Cloudy or murky water can make them useless, and bright sunlight can sometimes make the screen a bit tough to see. Nonetheless, I don't regret the purchase. It's another tool which I enjoy using. It definitely has it's place. I'll take my flasher over the camera, hands down. More reliable and versatile. FYI: I spent the extra money and marcum panner to automatically rotate the camera underwater. In my opinion, this is a priceless add on feature to the camera. I wouldn't use the camera without one. You can rotate the camera in any increment or direction with the simple push of a button on a remote, that I just keep in my pocket. Good luck!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 09:50:40 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question