Author Topic: Born Again Icefisherman  (Read 1006 times)

Offline slusser77

• Ice Man
Born Again Icefisherman
« on: February 21, 2018, 10:00:01 AM »
I started ice fishing in1972 at the age of12 on beaver ponds top of red rock mountain near Lake Jean. I retired early this past November and have spent more time on the ice this season than any of the past 40 some seasons. 
Some FIRSTS for me this season:
Learned to appreciate the solitude of fishing alone –although I prefer the company of my son.
Made a lot of new friends on IF247, really appreciated everyone’s stories and conversations! It was the first thing I went to in the am and last in the pm. (Still can’t learn how to post pictures-LOL)
Fished out of state (Oneida Lake last weekend)-wow, what an awesome experience, they take ice-fishing as serious as we take buck hunting. When I pulled into south shore launch I barely found a place to park!
Augers- I thought power augers were for sissy’s, but my family bought me a gas auger 10 years ago and it was worth it, another first is I went to the clam plate this year with a Milwaukee red fuel drill- kick butt set-up. Drilled 40 holes on Oneida 18” ice with 1 battery, had power left for the next day as well. No more gas, plugs, smoke, broken cords, weight!
Shelters- Oh yea, I’m the person who started the thread “Shelters are for Sissys”just for kicks…..well now I’m researching them and will have one hopefully by end of week-another first! Got to use one on Oneida and what an experience!
Cooking- my son bought a mini green egg smoker and we smoke burgers and brauts on the ice!
Going to miss the ice, I have a place on the Pack and Ontario, but my heart is on the ice!
Love ice-fishing, Love IF247, thanks all for being a great group of guys! Ice-fisherman are real men!
You can never be to safe-safety is NOT for sissy’s! LOL
Slusser77, Berwick Pa.

Ice Fishing 247

Born Again Icefisherman
« on: February 21, 2018, 10:00:01 AM »

Offline brownmk19

Re: Born Again Icefisherman
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 10:35:52 AM »

I too have been ice fishing for as long as I can remember, although I am a couple years younger than you, lol. Just to touch on a couple things you mentioned.

I also thoroughly enjoy the peace and solitude that ice fishing brings, although I certainly welcome and enjoy company on the ice. There's some deeply peaceful about observing the natural world around you on a frozen lake..........the sunset/sunrise against the backdrop of the lake, the quiet solitude and beauty that a small snowstorm brings as it sweeps across the lake, the excitement that a flag brings as it pops skyward against a wooded backdrop, the feeling of setting the hook into a large fish while jigging, the list goes on and on.  It's funny because I try to explain this to people who don't ice fish and they look at me like I'm crazy. That's why I enjoy this site..........because everyone here "gets it".

I also was a hand auger diehard until two years ago when I bit the bullet and bought an Ion Electric Auger. It's perhaps one of the best investments I've made, I love it.

Haven't tried cooking on the ice yet, but it's something I need to try next season.

I had a great season, it's gone way too soon, but I can't complain, I did well.  8)

Mike

Offline eaglejac

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 01:43:08 PM »
Man , that's pure poetry and I cant agree more with you guys, I also was able to meet some great guys and got some great info because of this site, Hats off to FM

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 04:30:36 PM »
6i agree with all above.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 04:30:36 PM »

Offline KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • Open water is nice... but, I'd rather be on ice!!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 09:09:57 PM »
I’ll go along with all of the above as well. Great guys and great site!!! END OF STORY!!!!😎
DO WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU DO....LIFE IS GOOD!

DON'T WORRY FREDDIE....THE BITE WILL GET HOT AT 11:00!!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 09:09:57 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question