Author Topic: Underwater camera advice  (Read 305 times)

Offline slusser77

• Ice Man
Underwater camera advice
« on: February 07, 2018, 07:57:40 PM »
Never had an underwater camera, looked at some and am skeptical of most based on feedback. Any advice would be helpful.
A lot of feedback seemed concerned about lights being to bright, the cable spinning all the time, etc.

Ice Fishing 247

Underwater camera advice
« on: February 07, 2018, 07:57:40 PM »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
Re: Underwater camera advice
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 08:54:18 PM »
I had one and wasn't a fan. For me it came down to do you want to play with a camera, a TV and watch fish or do you want to fish. Plus it's more stuff to haul, set up and take down. But to each his own.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline tlizza

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 09:23:34 PM »
FM is right, they really can be more of a distraction. Where I have found it to be helpful is finding out if there is any structure where you are fishing, identifying different species of fish in the area, and watching fish take your bait when you are having trouble with the very light bites. It is amazing how many times a fish had the hook in its mouth and I never felt the slightest tug.

I have a marcum and the picture quality is great. There is a light on my camera that you can turn on and off. I generally don't use the light because the picture quality was excellent without it on in the conditions I have used it in. It really doesn't seem to bother the fish and sometimes I have found that larger fish actually come right over to it maybe to inspect whether or not it could be a potential meal. The camera is shaped like a small fish.

If you're thinking about a camera instead of a flasher, I would have to say that the flasher is much more useful in helping you catch fish.

Online DeadBird

• Spring is a dirty word
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 06:22:48 AM »
Pretty much in agreement with what other said. I have the Marcum 825, it's great for learning about fish and checking out the lake bottom. Takes the mystery out of "whats down there?". Not the best for actual fishing although it has been very useful in lite-bites...sometimes fish mouth/test the bait and even a spring bobber doesn't detect it. Also the fish look huge so you make lots of new big one that got away stories.  :)

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 06:22:48 AM »

Offline slusser77

• Ice Man
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 04:40:53 PM »
God feedback, really appreciate it. We have 2 Vexlars and I dont want more distractions and complications so for now I think I'll stand down.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Ice Man
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 04:06:58 PM »
I will respectfully disagree and endorse a camera   A camera shows exactly what is down there, particularly in thick weeds.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 04:06:58 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question