Author Topic: How I Got Started Ice Fishing  (Read 17124 times)

Offline georgebd2

• Ice Man
Re: How I Got Started Ice Fishing
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2014, 07:23:52 PM »
my first trip ice fishing was about 10 years ago. A buddy of mine that I hunted with for quite a long time called and asked me if I wanted to go ice fishing. Told him I had no interest in freezing my butt off to catch a couple little fishhe insisted that it was a good time and I should at least try it + he required my help retrieving an auger that he lost through the ice. He lost his 6 inch purchased an 8 inch drill the hole and retrieved it with all magnet that I had. We fished the rest of the day and I actually enjoyed it. When he dropped me off at my house he got out asked me what I thought, when I told him I liked it he gave me the 8 inch auger. I thought that was awesome until I had to drill holes the next few times we went out with it lol. Definitely needed a smaller one but ended up purchasing a jiffy 8 inch gas auger.after almost getting hypothermia on one of our trips out I ended up purchasing a Dave Genz Pro clam flip over. Little minor things here and there for convenience and that's about it have been hooked ever since and done several trips up north to Simcoe, Ben lake, North Bay an Lake Nipissing love them all!many other details and could go on forever but I believe you've got the just of it.
aka blizzardfisher

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2014, 07:23:52 PM »

Offline slugmist

• Slug
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2014, 06:45:56 AM »
I started with my little bro when I was 14. We were clueless. We made holes with rocks and sticks and used our fishing poles. Man we were freezing. I was wearing steal toes boats...brrrrrrrr...dumb move. There was about 15 inches of snow on the small pond. The wieght had the water coming up through the holes. It was quite miserable. (Can't believe we kept going after that) We caught a couple perch. We have since modernized and even joke about it now at 35 how we are getting old. We are thinking about getting an ice shelter. My kids have since joined us on our ice fishing journeys. I have been in a motorcycle accident and messed my leg up, but still get out there. I don't play around like I use to but it is still a blast!!! ICE FISHING IS MY FAVORITE....hope I am passing it on to my children.  !<>!

~> Stay Above the Ice
~> Stay Above the Ice

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2014, 08:57:25 AM »
My dad hooked me on to the sport when i was 9.
Took me to a private lake in Cresco.
I remember it being so cold on my hands and toes.Back then there were no good warm boots.
We had a chipping bar with a blade made from a car spring welded to it.Was sharp as a razor.My dad would put a new edge on it every time we used it.5 tipups painted black.Extrs lg.Shiners from Morgans bait on Rt.502,how many guys remember Morgans?man things change.
My dad showed me how to set the bait up,how to set the button and the dept and the flag,i did get wacked in the ice cold face with the flag 1st time i set it up.lol.I remember it like yesterday.
We caught some nice bass and big perch that day.Tons of flags.Was so busy,i forgot how cold i was.Am hooked ever since.im 52 now and still love it.other thsn a 3 year brake of icefishin(BECAUSE I WENT THREW AND ALMOST DIDNT COME OUT)PUT A BIT OF FRIGHT INTO ME.LOL.NO,IT REALLY WASENT FUNNY.But 3 years latter i was back at it.Now its more of a PASSION to me than a sport.
That how i got my start.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2014, 09:10:17 AM »
Some day when you have the time you should tell us about that going through the ice story. It would be good to learn from your experience.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2014, 09:10:17 AM »

Offline Love To Fish

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2014, 04:53:17 PM »
Chez, I remember stopping at Morgan's Bait on rt 502. Being  from Dupont we would either stop at Morgan's or at Gus's Bait if we were going to the Pack. Gus would ice state on Lake Wallenpaupack most of the winter and would visit each fishing camp and give you a reform of how the fish were biting. He was an older gentleman but was in excellent shape.

Offline ice attic

• Ice Man
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2014, 05:59:12 PM »
Guss was great! He loved to skate,and give the fish report.how about the old van he drove around on the ice?back in those days the fishing was better at the pack.it was before I think the strippers were put in.

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2014, 07:39:58 PM »
Gus was a great guy.thats back in the day when the pac.producded big browns and great eyed on a everyday basis.Man i wish we could go back in time.Everyone was friends on the ice.It was all great.everyone shared info just like on this site.I know fm said drop the iceshanty post against us but our SITE RULES.I dont care what anyone says.Now im done.i wont say another word.ICEFISHIN 247.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline Love To Fish

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2014, 08:02:35 AM »
I remember ice fishing the "Pack" at Ironwood in the 1960's by the "Big Rock". We always caught big Browns and a few nice eyes. We would be set up at daybreak and wouldn't leave until dark. Didn't want to miss the 4:00PM run on the eyes. Great Fishing in those days.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2014, 08:02:35 AM »

Offline Josephtree

• Ice Man
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2016, 08:53:55 AM »
I'm pretty new here and joined as much to read up on what other people are doing as to figure out why we do it.  I'm very happy to recall my first time ...

I'd never been fishing in the winter, but the idea somehow got into my head and I was able to talk my sister's boyfriend into driving me to my favorite wet water fishing lake, Franklin Lake in northern NJ.  We had an array of gardening equipment to help get through the ice and a blanket to sit on.  The temp was about 15 degrees and the win was whipping the snow around.  I think it took half an hour to get through the 20" of ice using an ax  mostly.  Oye. 

So we finally managed to get something like a hole, skimmed it with a kitchen strainer, and I swung my Zebco rod around and proceeded to jig with a Daredevil spoon.  The first few minutes I remember getting excited to hook weeds.  Then a  fish slammed the damn thing and we nearly fell in the hole we were so astonished.  I remember pulling the line up by hand and seeing this fish's head poke up into the hole.  I then discovered for the very first time just what a big mistake it is to try to lift a 30 inch pickerel up by grabbing it like you would a bass.  The fish landed on the ice and I bled for hours.  We packed up and went home then, so glad to hustle ourselves back into his old Volksy beetle. 

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2016, 11:25:36 AM »
That's a great story Joseph!  8)

Offline DeadBird

• Spring is a dirty word
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2016, 01:06:20 PM »
My dad took us when we were kids, starting at maybe 9-10 until I took off for college. We had a spud, a bunch of tipups and a couple buckets to sit on. Chiseling 15 or more holes was no fun. We mostly caught small stinklogs, green carp and a few trout. It was just something to do after hunting season, it was not a passion at the time. Went now and again for many years until I got into my forties, mostly to quell the cabin fever.

Have been crazy for duck hunting my entire life, it's what my family does. Much of it is in January in saltwater, so we battle ice with the boat on a regular basis. A few times we've pushed 18-20 ft tin boats across 1/2 mile of ice to get them in the water. The fun part is getting them back out, you make one pass at speed to make a wave, then spin around and ride it back onto the ice.

One day we're seaduck hunting and there's ice forming in the decoys. In the ocean...we limit out before 9, and the guys, who are my employees, suggest icefishing. I warm up to it when they offer to pick me up at home when I drop off the boat and haul my butt around. This sounds fun, usually I'm the guide. Oh, and did I mention there might be beer involved?  u:)

I don't have much modern gear so they decide to stop at a nice bait store. It's common knowledge that you should never shop after brewskis, but I forgot. I got a little carried away, gas auger, flip over shanty, tipups, the works. The fishing stunk, the next morning I wake up thinking WTH am I going to do with all this junk?

Somebody had mentioned that walleyes could be caught at night. Sounded like fun after work, plus  u:). I had never fished for them before, so off myself and one of the guys go to a local lake. We didn't have tipup lights so we shined the flags periodically, usually after every couple empties. Finally we get a flag and sure enough it's walter. Only about 18" but we start yelling "walleye" like lunatics, other guys on the lake are laughing like crazy at us. That was what got me hooked, there's something about walleye and having a good time after work in the winter. Now I'm an ice maniac and there's no going back!

Offline Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2017, 02:42:44 PM »

I’m the 3rd generation trout fisherman , far as  salmon and steelhead , eyes, perch pretty much self taught , it’s like a drug that just consumes me

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2017, 02:42:44 PM »

Offline acg8276

• Ice Man
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2018, 09:22:19 AM »
I prefer salt water fishing to fresh and had never ice fished. A buddy of mine at work is originally from the mid west. About 7 or 8 years ago he got to talking about going out ice fishing. My son liked fishing so I asked if we could stop out so he could teach the boy a little about it. It was a cold day on Antietam Lake. I didn't bother the even put long johns on because I figured the boy would get bored pretty quickly. Well within a half hour of us arriving my buddy pulled in a gill. That was all it took for the boy, we stayed another 3 hours. Me shivering most of the time. Only landed two or three fish that day but my son was gifted an old Schooley rod all rigged up. That first year we were chopping open old holes with an axe to fish. The following Christmas my son got an auger and some other gear as presents and we got no ice to fish on that year. The next year I caught the bug myself and since have fished with him or without him, stopping many days after work whenever there is enough ice.

Offline IceSpartan

• Ice Man
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2018, 05:44:55 PM »
I grew up in Michigan and there was a lake about a half mile from my house.  When we were young we used to walk out on the ice and watch the guys fishing.  When I was a teen a friend suggested we try it so we bought some cheap equipment and used a crow bar to break through old auger holes and drop in a jig line.  We caught tons of bass and sunfish, and I was hooked.  My high school was next to the lake and one year our entire biology class went ice fishing for a morning to catch fish to dissect.  Years later a co-worker took me ice fishing, and I was hooked again for a while.  Now retired, I got back into it last year, and am ready for my third and final shot at figuring out if I'm at least as smart as the fish!

Offline denny2112

• Ice Man
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2018, 06:52:25 PM »
i got into it when i was 7or8 i was made to go fishing and hunting back then it was all about food  not fun

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2018, 06:52:25 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question