Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Locating Basin Perch  (Read 168 times)

Offline Toadfish327

• Ice Man
Locating Basin Perch
« on: November 12, 2017, 05:22:50 AM »
Hi gang, new guy here with a question.  I work near some large man-made ponds 400-600 acres that have some good numbers of perch in them.  They get little pressure from fishermen in the winter.  I want to find some fish, but these pons are hard to fish since they are so large and featureless.  Bottom content is consistent, depth changes very little and is about 25-30 feet, no weeds to speak of, no structure, etc.  Visibility is usually pretty good, especially through the ice and bass and walleye/saugeye are the only predators in winter.

I have a vexilar FL 20 flasher and a portable flip over shanty to stay mobile.  I use a more Lazer 5" hand auger and move around a lot looking for fish but never find them.  I use either a jigging rapala, small spoon or acme kastmaster with a dropper baited with maggots for attracting fish to the hole.

How would you guys go about finding fish?

Ice Fishing 247

Locating Basin Perch
« on: November 12, 2017, 05:22:50 AM »

Online Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
Re: Locating Basin Perch
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 08:56:32 AM »

Well Iíll give it a shot first are there any inlets or out letís , being that there are no weeds to work off from , this makes it tough , usually in these type ponds , gravel beds the fish are always moving , looking for or following dinner , if you can find a spring the water will be warmer , be careful of that , I donít use them but in this case spread out some tipups this also may help and locating,
And not to sound like a DK have you seen very many perch caught ? If you know someone that fishes there and is successfull tag along , good luck
Tite lines
  F&R

Offline Toadfish327

• Ice Man
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:32:20 AM »
There are no springs that I know of.  The inlet/outlet sits near the bank and I have tried near it with no marks or bites.  In winter, water only flows out, nothing is pumped in.  The ponds hold drinking water prior to being treated.  There are nice perch in it, I caught some myself from the bank in the fall on minnows.  I have seen other anglers catch them from the bank too, in open water.

These ponds were made by simply scooping the dirt to form a "dam" all the way around.  The nearby land is very flat.  Water is pumped in from a nearby river, usually during the open water season only. The perch don't really school up, but go in small packs from what I have seen during the fall.  I think they feed mainly on insect larvae and plankton, possibly some minnows and crayfish. The dam walls have rock on them around the waterline for erosion control but they don't go too far down.

The only thing I know to do is drill, move, drill, move, etc.  Sometimes I will Swiss cheese an area then carry the flasher from hole to hole looking for fish.  There are usually no other anglers there in winter.  When there are, nobody else is getting fish or marks either.  Very frustrating water to fish!

Online Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 09:53:50 AM »

Well I donít know if itís legal where you are , most likely not , but putting in some structure Might help other than that , have you tried close to the shore line ? , I wish you luck

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 09:53:50 AM »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 02:37:18 PM »
At first ice I would start where you have caught them in the fall. Work your way out to ??? you never said how deep these ponds are at max but work out to  20 or 25 fow. If you find any follow that depth contour and see if you can locate any more. That's how I would go at it.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • Open water is nice... but, I'd rather be on ice!!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 07:01:54 AM »
I would also make moves along  the drop in depth as I would go deeper. Sometimes moving 50-60 yds both ways will help cover more water. Generally, the perch, in our area will be in/around soft mud bottom. Good luck and post pics when you catch them!! I never met a perch I didnít like!!😁🎣🕳
DO WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU DO....LIFE IS GOOD!

DON'T WORRY FREDDIE....THE BITE WILL GET HOT AT 11:00!!

Online Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 05:57:43 PM »

So there ya go some more poke and hope 😉

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 05:57:43 PM »