Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Last Gasp Gills- After the Fat Lady Sang  (Read 420 times)

Offline Van_Cleaver

Last Gasp Gills- After the Fat Lady Sang
« on: March 19, 2017, 12:21:53 AM »
Got a tip from a friend that he had safe ice on a private lake up North of me. I was skeptical but desperate since I didn't get out nearly enough this season. Left my house in a light rain which turned to light snow around the Lehigh Valley. Got to the lake a little before eight and had to scramble to find parking since the usual areas were stacked with snow. The ice was mostly white with an inch of black under, but frozen neatly. No water on top, no movement, no cracking I was comfortable the whole time but did spud my way around. Also the holes were icing up all day. The bite was almost non existent; after jigging up a nine plus gill on my first drop, I only marked two fish in about 4.5 hrs of fishing and I covered over 20 holes while staying close to the group just in case. My one friend made fun of me for keeping a "baby" that turned out to be 8.5"  :? As usual Mr Jigger and my dead sticks produced slowly but steadily and I picked off eight nice gills which was my goal anyway. Normally I would have stayed  cause there had to be a late bite, but a friend who lives up that way showed up and offered to take me out to lunch and it was on the way home. Stuffed full of burger and fries, I was pounding coffee and Coke (as in soda)  just to stay awake on the dive home, which was a little over two hours in a light rain. Sorry for the sink shots but my wife hid my camera since we had company. ::)

Ice Fishing 247

Last Gasp Gills- After the Fat Lady Sang
« on: March 19, 2017, 12:21:53 AM »

Offline Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
Re: Last Gasp Gills- After the Fat Lady Sang
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 06:01:23 AM »

Good job , great eats  , 👍🏻

Offline perchgypsy

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 07:49:18 AM »
Nice way to wrap things up,good meal there
ICE PLEASE

Offline KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • NY DIEHARD!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 09:14:38 AM »
Good work Van Cleaver!!😎
DO WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU DO....LIFE IS GOOD!

Proud member of the O.L.L.C. and N.S.T.!

DON'T WORRY FREDDIE....THE BITE WILL GET HOT AT 11:00!!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 09:14:38 AM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 04:10:24 PM »
Good for you getting out so late in a season that is technically over. lol My only question is what of the snow? I was out today (Sunday 3/19) up in Red Rock. Stopped by Lake Jean and it was covered with snow and presumably there was some ice underneath there some where. How was it getting out to the ice? There mustn't have been as much snow there as we got up in Luzerne co.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 09:54:03 PM »
It was a ways South of you FM. Most of the snow must have blown off  but the weight had pushed water up through the thin layer of good ice, plus there had been a couple open spots. So really it was mostly saturated slush that got a really cold blast for a few days (or more) and locked it all up tight. Sort of a perfect storm of circumstances that  created some surprisingly sturdy ice. A friend made a point of checking it the day before, so we knew another night in the low twenties would only help. Parking was a little problematic but it was a private lake fairly close to the main road so only a fairly short slog through snow that was settled down to about ten or so inches. It was overcast all day Sat. with snow showers and the holes were actually icing up. There wasn't any snow on the ice except for the little bit that fell while we fished. Wouldn't have tried it on a sunny day though due to the nature of the ice. My oil burner went down today but at least I had plenty of firewood and a nice dinner to keep me going. ;)

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 09:54:03 PM »