Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: First Time on the Ice  (Read 796 times)

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
First Time on the Ice
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »
I took a first timer out to the pack today. We got there early and stayed until about 2 pm. The fishing was slow even by pack standards but we didn't get skunked either. Good time and and nice day even if a bit too hot for me. I did do something that was diabolical. I let the Dinpa use my LX-6 all day. He's probably ordering one as we speak lol.
FM

Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

First Time on the Ice
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »

Offline crappiman

• Charter Member
  • God walked on water to create Ice Fishing....
Re: First Time on the Ice
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 09:09:25 AM »
Nice of you FM to show first timer the fundamentals of ice fishing. It was nice to meet you Dinpa. It was a slow day for sure but, nice to get out. It was definitely to hot for me.  I think I'll stick to my evening/night fishing. That's how it starts. I let my uncle use my MarCum and by the following week he had his own. We managed a few keeper perch and a lot of dinks. We quit around noon and took a ride around lake. There Were people out in different coves. No parking of course. We returned later and walked around ice, talked to two great guys who had some great stories. Before we knew it, the sun was going down. The ice stopped bubbling and surprisingly it survived. Still a good 7 -8 inches of solid ice left. If venturing out be careful!
Men and Fish are alike.... They both get in trouble when they open there mouths......

Offline DinPA

• Just starting out...
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 09:36:23 AM »
Thanks FM again for a great day!  At the risk of corny cliche I am hooked!  I am definitely researching flashers--it kept me interested between the perch and I certainly see the value of using one.  I guess it was a little warm for ice fishing, but it was still a good day to be outside.  Watching a few flocks of snow geese against that blue sky was impressive.  I am hoping I will get out again this season despite the forecast, but if not, I'll be hoping for cold weather with the rest of you next fall!

Offline hellbender

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 01:48:08 PM »
Nice day to introduce someone to ice fishing. Glad they got to land some fish.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 01:48:08 PM »

Offline Thefixr

• Ice Man
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 09:28:01 AM »
Hey crappieman. It was nice meeting you and I presume that was your uncle with you. The time flew by like you said. Hope we can get together next year. I might try shohola this weekend. The last hoorah!!

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 11:23:16 AM »
Shohola  would be a bad move.in my opinion. Watch yourself up there after all this warm weather.  Promised Land might still have some decent ice but I'd still be wary.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Thefixr

• Ice Man
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 07:32:55 PM »
Thanks for your input. I just can't get myself to put my stuff away. Maybe I'll take a ride to shohola and if doesn't look good I'll just jump on 84 and head to promise land. 😂😂😂

Offline crappiman

• Charter Member
  • God walked on water to create Ice Fishing....
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 08:04:34 PM »
Hey crappieman. It was nice meeting you and I presume that was your uncle with you. The time flew by like you said. Hope we can get together next year. I might try shohola this weekend. The last hoorah!!
My uncle and I enjoyed talking with you and your friend. Definitely got to get together next season or maybe open water. I wouldn't trust any ice right now. We went out Sunday evening for our last OORAH, to one of our farm ponds and it was only 4 inches of iffy ice, I was walking on eggshells Lol. We're done for the season. Already started putting ice gear away and pulling out the long poles.
Men and Fish are alike.... They both get in trouble when they open there mouths......

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 08:04:34 PM »