Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: lowrance vs hummingbird  (Read 429 times)

Offline perchgypsy

lowrance vs hummingbird
« on: February 12, 2017, 03:52:53 PM »
Had my x67c for many yrs now
well looking forward to the future and am leaning toward a hummingbird helix 7 ,wondering if any members on this site have one and a review would be helpful
I like lowrance Alot and never a issue at all with my x67c but I have watched a few videos on both the elite 5 and helix units and need just a little bit more to make the jump to a different make ,I'm almost sold on the helix,
thanks for any replys
ICE PLEASE

Ice Fishing 247

lowrance vs hummingbird
« on: February 12, 2017, 03:52:53 PM »

Offline Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
Re: lowrance vs hummingbird
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 04:50:54 PM »
I really like lowrance , got two older units on the boat and 67c for the ice , I have 2 humming birds an older 345c and a helix 5 both work great my ice units don't have gps as I have my phone and a hand held , I give the nod  toward the lowrance , I really like the color a touch better  , right now lowrance is having a sale on the hook 5 ice machine plus a rebate , simple to operate and has all the bells and whistles , I don't think you'll go wrong with either make , there are some great deals on helix 5 ice machines only difference is 2" of screen now if it is to go on a boat the bigger screens are nice , sorry not much help
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 04:59:25 PM by Filetandrelease »

Offline Jiggerman

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 05:06:25 PM »
I have both birds and lowrance units and like them both.  I am though considering a different brand when I upgrade. 

A buddy has Garmin that is pretty neat and easy to operate.  I would like like to check the larger Garmin screen out before I purchase

Offline perchgypsy

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 06:42:50 PM »
I'm sure both are great ,thanks for replys...I'm a sonar (graph)guy I don't like the flasher mode at all I mainly shore fish now that my back is a mess so only for ice,Alot of good deals going on and think it's time for a upgrade,I'm going to keep my x67c thing is bullet proof
ICE PLEASE

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 06:42:50 PM »

Offline Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 06:47:55 PM »

I'm a graph mode guy myself , sold my fl18 , it was collecting dust

Offline KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • NY DIEHARD!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 07:16:43 PM »
Keep that x67.... great unit! If your gonna fish deep.. you'll need a graph for deeper water. We own humminbird  and  Lowrance .. both great companies!!
DO WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU DO....LIFE IS GOOD!

Proud member of the O.L.L.C. and N.S.T.!

DON'T WORRY FREDDIE....THE BITE WILL GET HOT AT 11:00!!

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 06:38:42 AM »
I don't have either of them but I have the 4x chirp for soft water and never got around to setting it up for ice. And I have the ice-45. I'm used to the flasher for hard water and would probably use the flasher mode on the chirp if I set it up for ice. I used finders on ice before and they work but most of what you see on the graph is old news. You can see what's happenin real time but only in the beginning of the graph. With the flasher, what you see is what's under there. Both work, if you like graphs better, go with a graph.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Offline perchgypsy

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 09:37:18 PM »
I'm a graph mode guy myself , sold my fl18 , it was collecting dust
definitely,flasher mode is just something I can look at for 5 minutes tops,just not for me...see that line it's a jig see this line it's a fish see that line bla bla bla....lol
spider I understand you like the flasher mode but when you use the graph you don't look back bud I'm always on the "time" spot
exactly what's happening like you explain with flasher,to each their own,and when I say hummingbird (helix) or lowrance (hook 5) I mean graph mode for either
I see the helix has a option that say you have a depth you want to pin point
say 18 fow you can highlight it and it will show you every spot on that lake that is the depth you want to target,pretty neat feature
ICE PLEASE

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 09:37:18 PM »