Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Nils ice augers  (Read 718 times)

Offline Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
Nils ice augers
« on: February 12, 2017, 07:34:31 AM »

Guys I just wanted to mention I have been a long time owner of Tanaka hand augers that are now (labeled nils) I have 2 a 4.5" and a 6" that I purchased about 30 years ago with the original cutting heads that have only been sharpened 4 times , so this year thinking we would have good ice to chase larger prey I ordered an 8" with a spare  head I can't believe how easy it cuts , i can't see any noticeable difference between the 6 and the 8" other than it is much heavier , but a lot less weight compared to my power job ,  FFP mounted a brushless drill to his 8" and it is a ice eating  machine , yes nils products are  expensive but in my opinion they are worth every penny , I let KP drill with it the other day and he seemed to think it drilled easy  , far as cost to sharpen to ship both ways , I sent 4 six inch heads out to be sharpened totaled $26.00 and change a piece , far as sharpening nils has a list of where to send them on their web page I have used two of them both were excellent

Ice Fishing 247

Nils ice augers
« on: February 12, 2017, 07:34:31 AM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
Re: Nils ice augers
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 08:02:59 AM »
NILS are super augers IMO. The cutting heads are pricey but they do all the work. I have the 8" powered version, all I have to do is start the motor and the drill cuts its own way through the ice. No laying on the auger or pushing it down to make it cut, just hold on and let it do it's thing.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • NY DIEHARD!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 08:40:15 AM »
I was quite surprised at how well that 8" hand screw cut Freddie!! I  Will be buying a 6" and 8" Nils before next season...end of story!!!😎🕳🎣
DO WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU DO....LIFE IS GOOD!

Proud member of the O.L.L.C. and N.S.T.!

DON'T WORRY FREDDIE....THE BITE WILL GET HOT AT 11:00!!

Offline DeadBird

• Spring is a dirty word
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 10:27:30 AM »
I have a Nils/Tanaka setup, it's the go-to for ice over a foot. Cuts ice like it's butter. Never used it as a hand auger, mine has the powerpoint which looks like it might make hand drilling a little harder.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 10:27:30 AM »

Offline FISHFORPIKE

• Charter Member
  • Ice-Fishing Time
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 10:33:23 AM »
I was quite surprised at how well that 8" hand screw cut Freddie!! I  Will be buying a 6" and 8" Nils before next season...end of story!!!😎🕳🎣

KP, you might better get the 8" and spare head for it.  No need for a whimpy little 6" auger.  :P 
Oh, I got a 6" Finbore Micro Light (not available in Canada or the US any longer  >:( )  It's a dream with the Milwalkee Drill. Extra light weight.  Nice thing about these augers over the power augers - just carry the hand crank with you and if the powerhead fails you can keep on going.
ICE is "NICE"

Offline FISHFORPIKE

• Charter Member
  • Ice-Fishing Time
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 10:36:03 AM »
I have a Nils/Tanaka setup, it's the go-to for ice over a foot. Cuts ice like it's butter. Never used it as a hand auger, mine has the powerpoint which looks like it might make hand drilling a little harder.
When I bought my 8" Nils I got it with a powerpoint head.  The spare head is the standard.  I don't see any real difference in the way they cut.  I think the powerpoint version might stop the bit from wandering a bit, is all.  Once they start shaving the ice there's no stopping them till they hit water.
ICE is "NICE"

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 10:48:09 AM »
I think you got it right about the power point. It starts a pilot hole to hold the bit on course and save your toes.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline DeadBird

• Spring is a dirty word
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 12:33:01 PM »
When I bought my 8" Nils I got it with a powerpoint head.  The spare head is the standard.  I don't see any real difference in the way they cut.  I think the powerpoint version might stop the bit from wandering a bit, is all.  Once they start shaving the ice there's no stopping them till they hit water.

Good to know there's no real difference in how much effort is required. My perception of the powerpoint resistance is the main reason I never tried mine as a hand auger.

I think you got it right about the power point. It starts a pilot hole to hold the bit on course and save your toes.
FM

I second the toe saving feature, the damage to a foot could be nasty.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 12:33:01 PM »

Offline perchgypsy

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 03:30:08 PM »
One thing for sure is its a different way to hand cut,I found out last weekend not everyone is made for a nils .lol
off set handle puts some Lazer experts in there place...lol
never need another kind of auger
 NILS all the way,I have a 8 and 6 as well
anyone ever use the slick head,black ones?was about to purchase a new head for my 8 and was wondering it these fit all nils ...
ICE PLEASE

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 04:16:11 PM »
I GOT AN 8"/
I LUV IT.BEST HAND AUGER OUT THERE.
END of STORY!!!!!
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 05:17:25 PM »
All the slick head is just a little less aggressive is all , sorry yes it will bolt up
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:24:36 PM by Filetandrelease »

Offline perchgypsy

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 06:46:08 PM »
Ok,well I will stick with the red one then and lose the power point,$94 for a second head   ::) and then I have two for each,send my other two out to be sharpen,thanks filet ,maybe I'll just stick to a pm with you bud...lol
take it easy
ICE PLEASE

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 06:46:08 PM »

Offline KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • NY DIEHARD!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 07:59:50 PM »
15 years ago... I would've run you with a lazer Rock!!!💪 Lol!!! Now, I'm looking into a nils!!!😜
DO WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU DO....LIFE IS GOOD!

Proud member of the O.L.L.C. and N.S.T.!

DON'T WORRY FREDDIE....THE BITE WILL GET HOT AT 11:00!!

Offline Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 08:23:04 PM »

Nothing like using 2 hands to drill with

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 06:33:26 AM »
yep, I have a 6" HT, was gonna buy an 8" Nils but it didn't work out.  ??? ;)

One of these days. I wanna get an 8" and pair up with my clam plate and ridgid drill.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 06:33:26 AM »