Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Teach Your Children  (Read 572 times)

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • WTF
Teach Your Children
« on: January 26, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »
This is just another thought I had today regarding ice safety in the current weather. It seems like it would be common sense but you never know anymore. It applies to everyone with children whether they are into ice fishing or not. Kids are curious and the warmer weather gets them outside where they can get themselves into trouble on the ice easily. We had a couple teenage girls go through the ice on Frances Slocum state park a few year ago. They thought they were taking a walk on the ice being cool and whatnot. Before they knew it they went through and were nearly drowned. If it hadn't been for a local policeman risking his own life and going though to save them they would both be dead. Kids don't know about ice or make sound decisions. They need to be told to stay off the lakes and ponds with out dad's permission. I grew up on a lake and heard it over and over. It can't hurt and might save your kids life.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

Teach Your Children
« on: January 26, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »

Offline zziipp

• Charter Member
Re: Teach Your Children
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 02:05:09 PM »
So true dave. And Some people don't icefish and like to skate or play on the ice. And when they see somebody on the lake they assume the whole lake is good.we were fishing a spot on a private lake one day.ice was good were we were at but the one shore with heavy weed beds was sketchy. I guy showed up on that side.we walked over that way and told him drive back around and come on where we were parked it was nice and solid. Well I guess he wasn't into that and loaded his sled and went on anyway. Well As Soon As He Cleared THE dock. Swoosh right thru til his waist. He got out quick loaded his gear and left. Luckily for him it was shallow. Guess he thought we were trying to keep him off a hot spot. I don't know.we told him where to come on. I guess the extra 10 mins it would have taken him to get around was to much precious time.til this day I think what an idiot he was.sorry to say it like that but hey we told him.
WHO SAID WE CAN'T WALK ON WATER.MUST BE A LAND LOVER.

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 02:40:44 PM »
People just don't have any common sense sometimes. I was on a lake a little while ago. A guy and his family showes up just walkin the dog along the lake. Out of nowhere they walk out onto the lake in an area I wouldn't have and asks if the ice was ok to walk on. ???

I told him it's ok in spots but he has to be more carefull around the edges and that where he walked on wasn't that great. He says ok, walks right back the way he came and I hear him tellin his wife and kids the ice is fine to walk on.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Offline ram guy

• Ice Man
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 07:55:49 PM »
I wish people had a little common sense. The only worries I have with taking my little boy are the 8 and 10 inch holes already drilled. I ordered a 6 inch auger because his boot will barely fit through one of them but he can step right in the bigger holes. Probably the only reason I worry is because I did it when I was young. I always have to yell at him to watch the other holes and tells me he sees them but you never know...

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 07:55:49 PM »

Offline gee-dub

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 08:20:32 PM »
great post FM, i just read it to my daughter.  thank you.

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 06:22:59 PM »
great post FM, i just read it to my daughter.  thank you.
Right on track fm!!!!!!
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Online KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • Open water is nice... but, I'd rather be on ice!!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 07:08:40 PM »
I heard today that local fire departments in/ around my area are going to be doing seminars at schools and at the departments for children to be educated on ice safety!! Great idea!!
DO WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU DO....LIFE IS GOOD!

DON'T WORRY FREDDIE....THE BITE WILL GET HOT AT 11:00!!

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 08:12:08 PM »
Ya Buddy.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 08:12:08 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question