Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: The one that got away.  (Read 925 times)

Offline Jiggerman

The one that got away.
« on: January 19, 2017, 05:31:10 PM »
Yesterday started off a little dicey with the ice one the roads.  But my buddy Dan and I managed to go ice fishing.  We started our way across the lake to the spot we wanted to fish.   On the way over we hit two reliable spots and Dan caught a rainbow at the first spot and I missed 2 at the next spot.  We arrived to our spot and we're immediately welcomed by some bass jigging so we moved around trying to avoid them.  I decided to try out a little bit deeper.           (45 FOW) where we rarely see bass and not 5 minutes in the hole in ripped the  Jammin jig tipped with a minnow up off the bottom about 8  feet when a fish came up off the bottom in a hurry and grabbed it.  Next thing you know I'm into what felt like a pretty good fish.     I yelled over to Dan about it and here the reply " we have a double".   Dan joined me a few minutes later after he lost his and seen a still had mine on the line.  Another couple of minutes passed and I finally  got a look at what it was on the other end.... to it looked like Moby dick down there about 15 or 20 ft below the ice.  Fast forward another couple of minutes when we now we're watching this fish thrash around directly under the ice and we knew for sure it was a good one.  I told Dan to try and record a little of the fish fighting under the ice.  He started recording and when I thought she was tired out enough to bring to the hole.  I was lifting the rod up to bring her to the hole and get her head up when she hit her nose on the edge of the hole which must of given her another boost of energy because swisher her tail and was off on another run but this end up being the last one because the hook pulled a few seconds later.  My heart sank along with her to the depths of the lake.    I'm glad I told Dan to record when I did because without his short video this would only be a fish story.

Thanks Dan for the proof and thank you laker for the experience.   

Here are some stills from the video. I hope they come out.  We were estimating the fish to be in the upper 20's to low 30's probably closer to 30.    It would of been my biggest laker and maybe biggest fish on jigging rod.

Ice Fishing 247

The one that got away.
« on: January 19, 2017, 05:31:10 PM »

Offline Jiggerman

Re: The one that got away.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 06:01:05 PM »

Offline Its ice

• Its ice
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 06:04:40 PM »
thats a monster trout jiggerman.  too bad u couldnt ice it..thanx for the pics....i dont know what was more of a WOW factor.... the size of the fish or the thickness of that ice..... ???
Watch the ice

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
That sucks Brother.
You got the pics.though.
Youll get him next time.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »

Offline peterdafisherman

• Charter Member
  • the tug is the drug!!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 07:19:19 PM »
Good story,as I sit by my fire,sorry though,that's what makes fishin- fishin
you know how you can tell when its really cold out?  when its to cold to go icefishen!

Offline ram guy

• Ice Man
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 07:35:18 PM »
looks like a good one for sure

Offline Jiggerman

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 07:47:05 PM »
thats a monster trout jiggerman.  too bad u couldnt ice it..thanx for the pics....i dont know what was more of a WOW factor.... the size of the fish or the thickness of that ice..... ???

Its Ice that is believe it or not was 5.5 inches.   Last year around that area of the lake it was more clear.  You could walk out and find the drop off by looking through the ice.   It's amazingly clear.   

Offline Jiggerman

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 07:48:10 PM »
Sorry the story got so long winded.  Did not see how long it was going to be until I posted it.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 07:48:10 PM »

Offline dbs5014

• Ice Man
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 08:37:51 PM »
Good description of the story Dave.  Hopefully next time, i can get a video of you pulling it above the ice!!

Offline gee-dub

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 08:56:21 PM »
heartbreak for sure!  not nearly the same fish, but i lost a nice smallie last weekend in a similar way, it sucks.  but hey, you got to see it and got pics, that's pretty much a landing in my book!

Offline CowDawg

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 09:18:31 PM »
That was a nice fish!!!  At least you got him right up to the hole and got to see him...  That's a catch and release in my book!!

Offline Its ice

• Its ice
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 12:10:52 AM »
no worries jiggerman.....it was a good story and pics.  thanx.  next time tell dan to drop the camera and grab a gaff or the fish lol........
Watch the ice

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 12:10:52 AM »

Offline fish hunter

• Ice Man
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 12:15:17 AM »
Good story and nice pics.  Next time you'll get him.  I have had something like that happen to me. 

Offline Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 05:40:38 AM »

Cool pics thanks for sharing  and that is called a professional release , 😉

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 06:09:35 AM »
dang, my security won't let me see the pics... so until I get home and check 'em out it's just another fishin story, LOL!!! But it's a great story, can't wait to see the pic's.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 06:09:35 AM »