Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Red Worms  (Read 223 times)

Offline Psucowman

• Charter Member
Red Worms
« on: January 18, 2017, 09:26:27 AM »
For years I have been maintaining a private stockpile of small red worms for open water panfishing.  Panfish crack is what we call them, its a summertime project and never really messed with them for ice fishing though.  The DIY set up is simple, go to a local feed mills and buy a bag or two of soybean mill in the spring, take it to the woods (downwind from house) and dump it in a pile somewhere shaded.  Add some water if you want to accelerate the process but within a month you will have a health colony of very lively small redworms.  this doesnt seem to work as well with corn meal or some other grains, soy is a protein source and therefore high in nitrogen, must have something to do with what the worms like about it.  One of these piles serves as a year long source of bait, basically lasting until it freezes solid and decompositiom generates heat so it can last through a lot of freezing.  not that most panfish are finicky eaters but these little guys are plentiful and full of energy,  its nice to walk out back with an ice cream bucket to go fishing anytime instead of paying for half dead refrigerated worms at the local corner store.  probably not suitable for urban dwellers but if you have a big backyard and like the DIY mentality its pretty darn easy.

Never leave fish to find fish!!!

Ice Fishing 247

Red Worms
« on: January 18, 2017, 09:26:27 AM »

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
Re: Red Worms
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 10:00:08 AM »
I got a couple composters in the back yard by the garden. One of the black plastic ones which won't grow worms for anything. I had a good crop of red worms going one time and then the Mrs snuck some orange peels and stuff into it and the acidity killed them. Never got it to grow worms again. Then I built a wood pallet composter, I can get some monster night crawlers out of that all year if I refuse to dump orange peels into it  >:(  I'll have to try that soybean meal cuz I haven't had a crop of red worms since the first batch died off.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Offline Psucowman

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 10:30:30 AM »
It will stink unbelievably when you turn it to harvest worms but in my opinion its a small price to pay.  I always have a couple boxes of latex gloves around for such situations.  Soy is very very dry and dusty so it needs a good initial watering but then nature will take over.  If you live close to or know any farmers you can check to see if they have a leaking feed bin outside, old piles of grain should be teaming with them.
Never leave fish to find fish!!!

Offline kenP

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 11:17:47 AM »
i have always wanted to ask whether anyone tries redworms through the ice.  I have used thousands for open water but never took a pack out on the ice.
[/center]

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 11:17:47 AM »

Offline vitom

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 12:09:24 PM »
i use worms ice fishing all the time. Lakes like wallenpaupack where I use a big swidish pimple I'll put a whole worm on the hooks. For stock trout, a worm on a #8 single hook with no weight on 4 lb test on a tip-up is a killer.  Problem with putting worms on tip-ups in general are the small bluegill & perch that will bother you. Altough I caught walleyes up Belmont with nightcrawlers on tip-ups, Pieces of worms on panfish jigs work but wax worms are so much easier.    Tight Lines

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 12:09:24 PM »