Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Any experience with AJ's small engine?  (Read 522 times)

Offline Psucowman

• Charter Member
Any experience with AJ's small engine?
« on: January 17, 2017, 09:22:04 PM »
I have had my strikemaster over at AJ's small engine in Beach Lake for 10 days now and starting to get nervous...

The auger was leaking gas and ran like crap.  aj's is on the way to work, i hate working on small engines and never have time to do it.  Also AJ is listed in strikemasters website as an authorized service center, i figured it need a carn cleaning, new fuel lines and some tlc, now ten days later im told it needs new carb due to a small elbow being broken but unavailable so have to get entire carb; being told to expect over $120 in repairs.  Now i'm poking around on amazon and finding all sorts of tecumseh carbs for $15 and even that "discontinued" elbow.  Getting nervous-pissed and the fact that i already missed one good ice weekend and now ice is melting....

Im not passing judgment on AJ's yet but if anyone wants to share experiences good or bad it would be appreciated.  PM is fine if you have a story you dont want public, really want to know if i should wait it out or just stop in there, get the pieces back and stop the bleeding.

Never leave fish to find fish!!!

Ice Fishing 247

Any experience with AJ's small engine?
« on: January 17, 2017, 09:22:04 PM »

Offline CowDawg

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
Re: Any experience with AJ's small engine?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 09:32:50 PM »
I'd say, if you were handy in small engine repairs do it yourself.  You certainly can find the parts much cheaper... 

But you gotta figure, what a repair shop pays for a replacement part,..... double that for labor.  just sayin'...

Offline zziipp

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 06:04:05 AM »
I had a carb rebuilt,new fuel line,and a gas cap for an old jiffy done last yr at a place in sweet valley for 90 bucks. So if your getting a brand new carb and fuel lines ext. A 120 sounds right. Usually about 50 bucks labor plus parts and a mark up on them.most shops only due business with dist.the don't look on ebay ext. It sucks but with insurance and all small businesses can't survive on nickel and dime ventures. Around 2 weeks mine was gone. Only good thing it was after ice out. But I had a back up polar fire auger to use also if I needed it. And anymore I only run true fuel or e free gas. The cheap gas will kill 2 strokes.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:10:49 AM by zziipp »
WHO SAID WE CAN'T WALK ON WATER.MUST BE A LAND LOVER.

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 07:30:31 AM »
Me and my son put a new carb on my jiffy about 3 years ago.carb was under $45.00 with shipping and handling.
Job was done in less than a hour.
Not passing judgement.
Id try to find the carb and do it myself.
This weekend the ice is gunna be S**T.be a good week to tackle it.
Good Luck.
Let us know how you make out.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 07:30:31 AM »

Offline redblur00

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 09:43:18 PM »
Problem with the replacement carbs for Tecumsehs now aren't always a direct fit. It's like a 1 carb fits 4 units. I put several of the oregon carbs on tecumsehs this yr maybe 2 were direct fit others change butterfly or shaft sometimes air vane. Tgey are real fun by the way lol. Personally I never heard anything bad bout aj and the price for a shop isn't to bad.

Offline Psucowman

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 12:24:31 PM »
AJ came through for me, picked up the auger today.  We had a long chat about how to run 2 strokes on ethanol, idling, and general shop talk.  Then he turns around and helps me locate a sweet little 4.5hp johnson for my jon boat.  Nice guy, seems like good work and the bill was very fair.  A little old school but we probably need more of that in this day & age.

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 12:34:12 PM »
Glad it worked out.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline redblur00

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 06:54:36 PM »
Good deal no for the ice to drill lol

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 06:54:36 PM »

Offline zziipp

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 06:11:13 AM »
Glad to hear. What did he suggest for the fuel.
WHO SAID WE CAN'T WALK ON WATER.MUST BE A LAND LOVER.

Offline Psucowman

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 09:28:29 PM »
He is a big fan of the additive Startron (blue bottle) which I have used in the past and my father-in-law who works for a mower, tractor, small engine dealer also swears by.  what i found recently are several websites that map and locate stations selling ethanol free gas.  locations include Honesdale, Greentown and Montrose.  i think this is the best way to go for any "random use two stroke" ie. ice auger, chain saw, quad, utv, mower, snow mobile, boat, etc....

the other option is to go to a local small airport (cherry ridge in honesdale or seamans in fleetville) and buy aviation fuel which is ethanol free and very very clean fuel. 

I think my biggest sin on the auger was my failure to clean it out every year.  what i do with snowmobile and chainsaw is to dump out the gas then run the machine until it dies.  this gets all of that fuel out of the carb and most of it out of the fuel lines.  i really like the amsoil 2 stroke oil, its synthetic and has always done very well on higher performance machines like my snowmobile which I tend to use and abuse, high rpm and variable conditions.  when the strikemaster finally dies i am going propane, tired of having to put on rubber gloves and coming home smelling like a mower mechanic because i drilled 5 holes.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 09:28:29 PM »