Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: the chunk vs tuscarora  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Brianm14

• Ice Man
the chunk vs tuscarora
« on: January 16, 2017, 09:46:06 AM »
planning on taking a half day tomorrow seem like mauch chunk or tuscarora are probably the 2 closest option from the norristown pa area.. not going to mess around and take chances at ountalanee .. i saw report ice was around 5 on tuscarora sunday and 6-7ish at the chunk .. would this warm up effect tuscarora enough to not chance it tomorrow?...

fished the chunk 1 time 2 years ago and never fished tuscarora..

Ice Fishing 247

the chunk vs tuscarora
« on: January 16, 2017, 09:46:06 AM »

Offline capt.crappie

• Ice Man
Re: the chunk vs tuscarora
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 08:19:43 PM »
I would not waste my time fishing tusk. I have never really done that well there. You will catch trout & probably pickeral. Although the bite at chunk has been very slooow.  I was planning on taking off tomorrow. To go to chunk & fish in the rain. But changed my mind when they predicted freezing rain in the morning. Thats not a pleasant drive. Good luck Brian  !<>!

Offline Brianm14

• Ice Man
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 08:19:27 AM »
thanks capt.  i have to work till 12 and my buddy gets off around 1.. heading up after that.. yep gonna rain. looked like the freezing rain was called for in the am..guess we will see what happens. we will have the shanty and waterproof jackets.. last time i was at mauch chunk was 2 years ago.. i only had a ford fusion and we got about 6 inches of snow from the time we got there until the time we left..that was a fun ride home.. now i have an f150 so snow is no worry but doesnt matter what you have when it comes to freezing rain,.

Offline capt.crappie

• Ice Man
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 07:20:04 PM »
thanks capt.  i have to work till 12 and my buddy gets off around 1.. heading up after that.. yep gonna rain. looked like the freezing rain was called for in the am..guess we will see what happens. we will have the shanty and waterproof jackets.. last time i was at mauch chunk was 2 years ago.. i only had a ford fusion and we got about 6 inches of snow from the time we got there until the time we left..that was a fun ride home.. now i have an f150 so snow is no worry but doesnt matter what you have when it comes to freezing rain,.
Freezing rain didnt show up. I shoulda took the day off. With this weather. I may not get out again  oI

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 07:20:04 PM »

Offline Brianm14

• Ice Man
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 12:20:20 PM »
yesterday was shot from the beginning. stop at a bait machine that usually has minnow.. no minnows.. stopped at the sport fishn outlet in norristown for minnows.. they are closed..just switched to winter hours and only open on weekends.. their bait machine out side only had red worms.. so i figured we would grab minnows at carol's.. not to far out of the way..get to carols.. shes closed on Tuesdays!!!!!!  ..luckily had some left over spikes and waxies..(i guess...  not a single bite from 330-545 .. marked a few fish..most came in high seemed like pickerel.. .. first 45 minutes was clear then the rain rolled in and started pouring hard had the shanty leaking... oh well gave it a shot!

Offline kenP

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 04:24:46 PM »
Well at least you got out!  And now you know where not to try to get bait! 
[/center]

Offline Brianm14

• Ice Man
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 12:28:28 PM »
yep especially on a tuesday!

Offline capt.crappie

• Ice Man
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 08:00:31 PM »
yesterday was shot from the beginning. stop at a bait machine that usually has minnow.. no minnows.. stopped at the sport fishn outlet in norristown for minnows.. they are closed..just switched to winter hours and only open on weekends.. their bait machine out side only had red worms.. so i figured we would grab minnows at carol's.. not to far out of the way..get to carols.. shes closed on Tuesdays!!!!!!  ..luckily had some left over spikes and waxies..(i guess...  not a single bite from 330-545 .. marked a few fish..most came in high seemed like pickerel.. .. first 45 minutes was clear then the rain rolled in and started pouring hard had the shanty leaking... oh well gave it a shot! Sounds like the bite was as good as it was on sunday. Ya found my luck too. I got a flat tire 2miles from the chunk sunday morning. Nothing like jacking up a car on a snowy road & changing a tire.  :?

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 08:00:31 PM »

Offline Mohawk78

• Ice Man
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 04:59:02 PM »
Any reports on Ice?

Offline capt.crappie

• Ice Man
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 07:10:35 PM »
Any reports on Ice?
As of last sat. I was told there was still 5" & the edges were good. I dont know what the last couple days did to it. But they are predicting colder temps. Starting thursday. Hopefully chunk will refreeze any damage that was done. My buddy up by frackville. Drove by tusk & locust. He said both had lots of open water on the edges. Monday ! Let us know what you find Mohawk  !<>!

Offline Mohawk78

• Ice Man
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 09:20:51 PM »
Oh man! Will let you know. Heading up north to Sullivan county to a buddies cabin this weekend. Hoping to see if hunters lake is good!

Offline icefisher76

• Ice Man
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 12:34:36 PM »
I work right next to tuscarora and there lots of open water and some ice but Its been cold so it's locking back up should be safe by Saturday, gonna be well below freezing this week, I will post update wednesday.
Ice Fishing is my way of life.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 12:34:36 PM »

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 03:55:10 PM »
Thanks; I placed another Cabelas order and had it shipped to Hamburg so I have an excuse to run up there. ;)

Offline icefisher76

• Ice Man
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 02:54:53 PM »
Just checked tuscarora it's all locked up but very thin ice 2 inches at the most on it, should be safe by Saturday with the high only reaching 24 degrees and the lows of 10 till Saturday, can't put pics in with my smart phone I guess 😞
Ice Fishing is my way of life.

Offline capt.crappie

• Ice Man
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 08:22:40 PM »
Just checked tuscarora it's all locked up but very thin ice 2 inches at the most on it, should be safe by Saturday with the high only reaching 24 degrees and the lows of 10 till Saturday, can't put pics in with my smart phone I guess 😞
Any new reports on tusk or chunk. I would like to get out this weekend. & not have to drive to the poconos !

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 08:22:40 PM »