Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Upper Woods WARNING!  (Read 1390 times)

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
Upper Woods WARNING!
« on: January 14, 2017, 08:17:14 PM »
Fished Upper Woods this morning and the road in is a SHEET OF ICE!!!!!  Last 1/4 mile is very sketchy. We were able to pick our way down by keeping one tire on small slivers of bare gravel, but it was not fun. The entire parking area and the area down by the launch is one big sheet of ice. I don't know if they got any snow up there today, but if so I would not chance it. You will not be able to see where the ice is under the snow and pick your way down and back up and out of there like we did today!

I was surprised how much ice and snow was still up there in the woods. Like a different world up there!

Ice Fishing 247

Upper Woods WARNING!
« on: January 14, 2017, 08:17:14 PM »

Offline perchgypsy

Re: Upper Woods WARNING!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 08:36:16 AM »
Any fish for your effort rut??couple of our parking lots up in NY are pretty sketchy with Alot of ice as well,
and I'm not really catching but I was fishing😆
ICE PLEASE

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 08:48:26 AM »
Yes! It was an epic morning! Took a Rookie up there and he caught his first and biggest trout thru the ice(different fish). It was non-stop action. Most were 9-10" brookies, but I got a nice one close to 12 and He got a FAT 13" Rainbow. We had a lot of fun. We landed 31 fish between us. Kept 5 of the biggest. Had all the fun we could stand and were off the ice by 10am.  ;D

I don't have tire chains, or I would probably be heading back up there.   ::)

Offline ram guy

• Ice Man
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »
Stopped by for a few hrs today. Parked up top. Thanks for the heads up

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »

Offline Psucowman

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 03:28:18 PM »
How was the ice on the lake once you guys survived the access road.  I've never been up there and never tried for trout through the ice but if it survives this weeks warm temps i have it penciled in for saturday morning at dawn...  Ice report and any suggestions on how to mimic that 30 fish by 10am deal would be super...
Never leave fish to find fish!!!

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 03:34:52 PM »
Check the reports plz.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Psucowman

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 04:10:16 PM »
Wow, totally missed that, thanks and apologize for the "newbie" mistake.  Can you explain some of your terminology for a novice ice fisherman like myself... quoted from your post: "They definitely liked the spotfin shiners better than the chubs and suckers."  Is this all in reference to various livebaits?  Ener556 referenced jigging with waxies which i understand and after years of hanging out on small farm ponds with buddies slaying bluegills i get and can handle.  Shiners, chubs and suckers tho?  I always bring along the usually fathead minnows, and medium shiners for tip-ups but never seen much else for sale...  have a tributary of the Tunkhannock creek behind the house where i can occasionally get a few creek chubs in the minnow trap but they're huge, like summertime bait for lazy largemouth big...

Offline kenP

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 05:26:23 PM »
Wow, totally missed that, thanks and apologize for the "newbie" mistake.  Can you explain some of your terminology for a novice ice fisherman like myself... quoted from your post: "They definitely liked the spotfin shiners better than the chubs and suckers."  Is this all in reference to various livebaits?  Ener556 referenced jigging with waxies which i understand and after years of hanging out on small farm ponds with buddies slaying bluegills i get and can handle.  Shiners, chubs and suckers tho?  I always bring along the usually fathead minnows, and medium shiners for tip-ups but never seen much else for sale...  have a tributary of the Tunkhannock creek behind the house where i can occasionally get a few creek chubs in the minnow trap but they're huge, like summertime bait for lazy largemouth big...

I'm sure FM will expand on this but i think you will find a new use for those big chubs on the ice
[/center]

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 05:26:23 PM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 07:27:09 PM »
We have a whole section on live bait. I hate having to re write what Has already been said. However they are livebait that I trap to ice fish with. Spotfins are a species of shiner that lives in the river. Chubs are creek dwellers and suckers are everywhere. There are lots of pics and explanations given over the last 11 years collected in that section on live bait one of the things that I am pleased with.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Psucowman

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 08:16:57 PM »
Gotcha
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 08:28:41 PM by Psucowman »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 08:28:25 PM »
Best you can do in the bait shop are golden shiners and fatheads. I never saw anything else except an occasional rosy red in forever. NY has some variety if you go far enough.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline zziipp

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 01:33:48 AM »
Chubs r hardy. I have 30 of them in a 5 gal bucket in cellar. After a week not 1 dead one.
WHO SAID WE CAN'T WALK ON WATER.MUST BE A LAND LOVER.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 01:33:48 AM »

Offline Psucowman

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 11:41:27 AM »
Thanks all for info, definitely planning on heading up here saturday morning if ice conditions permit.  Still not 100% sure how exactly to set up for trout but i have some good ideas thanks to comments and info on this forum. 

one quick question on jigging waxies for trout: bare hook or off a small jig head?

Offline NuangolaSusquehanna

• Ice Man
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 02:51:46 PM »
Thanks all for info, definitely planning on heading up here saturday morning if ice conditions permit.  Still not 100% sure how exactly to set up for trout but i have some good ideas thanks to comments and info on this forum. 

one quick question on jigging waxies for trout: bare hook or off a small jig head?

..use a tungsten glow jig of your choice.

Offline ram guy

• Ice Man
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 09:18:33 PM »
They were shallow there. Brookies real shallow rainbows little bit deeper. Just throw a jig tipped with something in and see what happens. If nothing change it up a bit

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 09:18:33 PM »