Author Topic: My Tip-up Rig for trout (finished)  (Read 4589 times)

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
My Tip-up Rig for trout (finished)
« on: February 18, 2008, 09:20:17 AM »
This is the rig I use on my tip-ups when I'm fishing for trouts. Simple and effective, light enough to fool wary trout yet strong enough to land a big pike if you have some luck on your side.

This is how I attach my leader to my main tip up line. Starting on the top end I have a sturdy snap swivel on this I have a good barrel swivel. I use Polar tip-ups so all this is on the outside of the line guide. If you are using tip ups w/o the line guide this point won't matter but with the polars and the line guide the resistance of the swivels going through the line guide would be enough to pop the hook out of the bait if the fish was making a good run. One other point before we get to the leader is that I have a 1/4oz split shot on the main line just above the swivels This heavy swivel is for dropping the line down deep and quickly I don't have the patience to wait for the minnow to pull the line down 40 or 60 ft, this heavy shot takes care of that.

You guys that use polars that have hardware flowing through your line guides should try this experiment. Have someone hold your tip-up and then grab your leader and simulate a good run by a fish, notice if there is a resistance or hang up when the swivel goes through your line guide. If there is would a fish drop the bait if it felt this? Would the resistance pop the hook out of the bait while the fish was making its run or even pull the bait right out of the fishes mouth? Keeping all your main line attachments on the outside of the line guide avoids all these problems and you won't have to wonder why a fish dropped the bait or the hook came back bare.

Getting to the actual leader I make a 8 to 10 foot leader from 8lb test fluorocarbon line. I like Seaquar and Vanish for this purpose. I used to use 4lb test Berkley mono but with the advances in fluorocarbon I can get more line test on this thinner, virtually invisible line. The 8 lb test works fine for lakers. If I was targeting Rainbows or LL Salmon I would opt for 4 lb test. To this long leader I attach a tiny #10, 12, or 14 treble hook. The smaller hooks are for the more difficult situations and, tougher to catch, fish salmon being the toughest with the rainbows right behind. Browns and lakers are not as hard to fool. I weight the leader with several incremental shot. Two sometimes three shot staggered along the length with the smallest shot about 2 feet above the bait. The 8lb rest really takes a beating but You still need to check it after a catch and watch it every day out on the ice it will get degraded. I change them out about every 3 trips and trim retie the hooks when ever I can feel nicks in the line. These leaders, smaller hooks fresh, wild baits and fishing mid depths are what I credit with my trout catches. Knowing how to read a structure map and what types of structure to fish are important too. I'll save that for another time.
FM
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 03:49:59 PM by icefishin247.com »
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

My Tip-up Rig for trout (finished)
« on: February 18, 2008, 09:20:17 AM »

Offline HenryDavid

Re: My Tip-up Rig for trout (finished)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 05:58:40 PM »
If you were rigging for strictly rainbows or brookies would you consider using a small single hook rather than the trebles, and I'm assuming no beads, no spinners.  I was considering a similar rig using the 6lb Seaguar and a 2lb "tippet" (can I say tippet?) and a single size 12 hook.

Offline perch tugger

• See that now thats a fish just look at my Vexilar
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 06:31:16 PM »
Nice rig up will try it if I get back to Fort peck Dam in North East Montana when trying for lake-rs.

Perch tugger
Another 3 pound perch trow it back.

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 07:02:06 PM »
If you were rigging for strictly rainbows or brookies would you consider using a small single hook rather than the trebles, and I'm assuming no beads, no spinners.  I was considering a similar rig using the 6lb Seaguar and a 2lb "tippet" (can I say tippet?) and a single size 12 hook.

The single verses treble is a personal choice. I think the catch rate for the treble is higher than for the single hook. One of the problems with small hooks is that they are good at eluding the notice of wary fish but can get burried in your bait and then there is nothing left to hook the fish. A treble gives you a couple options. Lots of times when I miss a fish with bait, open water or ice, when I pull in the rig the hook is embedded in the bait.
FM
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:01:21 PM by fishin_musician »
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 07:02:06 PM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 09:00:36 AM »
Just to add a few after thoughts to my lengthy post about trout leaders. There is a problem that arises when I get fishing in water that is shallow. Mainly that my leaders are frequently longer than the water is deep. In this case I shorten them to an effective length by clipping out enough line from the hook end then retying the hook. Some spots I fish especially in the first ice part of the year are extremely shallow with as little as one foot of water underneath the ice. In this situation I will strip down the extra weight and the heavy shot and try to make the rig as unobtrusive as possible. I get my best bass of the ice season in shallow water this way every year.
FM
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:15:51 PM by fishin_musician »
Have an Ice Day!

Offline JASON

• I am a fisherman and musician "guitars/keyboards".
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 02:27:42 AM »
Fishin Musician, awesome post! A good suggestion that I could add to this about the swivels is, I use tiny Berkley ballbearing swivels. I'm talking ballbearing swivels so small they could probably fit in the center of your finger nail. They are extremely durable, I land everything from salmon to panfish with these swivels, never had one break or bend on me yet. I pick them up at Gander Mountain for $2 for 8 to 10 of them in a pack, seems pricey but, they are great little swivels, the smallest I ever seen. So maybe if you used these tiny swivels with the long leaders under the tipups, they wont get caught so easily or add resistance on the line guide attached to the tipup spool when the fish is taking off?

I usually try to avoid using tipups for finicky species like trout, I go with my Automatic Fisherman also known around here as "Slammers" when fishing trout because they set the hook automatically and, I can battle the fish on a rod. I found with Lake Michigan brown trout and steelhead, they drop the bait 90% of the time if they feel any resistance, and tipups are notorious for fish dropping the bait before you can even get to the tipup. I have buddies who like wind tipups for trout, but I always have to hear them swearing up a storm in disappointment when a fish sets the flag off and drops the bait. Them Automatic Fisherman devices are Gods gift to trout fisherman, I love them things!

I agree 100% also on the fluorocarbon line, I like Seaguar InvisX line in 6lb and 8lb test, I personally use 6lb but with how invisible it is under water I dont think 8lb test would turn fish away. With how finicky trout can be its good to make everything as natural as possible. Small hooks, small splitshot as far up from the bait as you can have it while still keeping the bait down, and a thin fluorocarbon line is definitely the way to go for trout.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 02:30:55 AM by JASON »

Offline pooley

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 08:13:11 PM »
I use 6# floor and #8 octopus hooks. Spro makes great swivels, and a size 8 is 75# test!

Offline cl3

• Pretty good at drinkin' beer
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 03:16:47 PM »
What kind of bait and how do you hook it up to the treble? Thanks.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 03:16:47 PM »

Offline The_Kid

• Ice Man
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 03:52:41 PM »
I would suppose minnows for bait and just tie the treble to your leader
How am I suppose to be old and wise if I'm not young and crazy ?

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 03:57:36 PM »
What kind of bait and how do you hook it up to the treble? Thanks.

We are stuck using what we.have. I go out of.the way to get wild minnows. Way over the.top about it and beyond the sort.of.commitment most guys are going to make. You could say bait is what I catch and the fish are secondary. So hook your bait through and just under the skin near the dorsal fin.  Parallel to the baits body.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline cl3

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 04:01:35 PM »
We are stuck using what we.have. I go out of.the way to get wild minnows. Way over the.top about it and beyond the sort.of.commitment most guys are going to make. You could say bait is what I catch and the fish are secondary. So hook your bait through and just under the skin near the dorsal fin.  Parallel to the baits body.
FM

Got it. I was going to mention power bait... assume power bait, but I suppose you can hook up a minnow on the trebble. Not e medium though, right? Fathead?

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 04:08:15 PM »
I fish for browns in pa. I get them on chubs and spotfin shiners that I trap. They can be 3 inches to 5 or 6 inches. I got a nice brown at the Pack late last winter and early this winter in the same spot. What is interesting for you is that they were both caught on my pike size minnows. 5 or 6 inches. Don't think that trout only go for small baits. Important to keep the hook size down. I do it for pike too.
FM

BTW I only use trebles for everything on ice.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:10:48 PM by fishin_musician »
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 04:08:15 PM »

Offline cl3

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 04:13:19 PM »
It's true. I actually did catch an 8" bluegill on a tip-up with one of my large mediums on it last weekend. I was like, whoa buddy.

Do you actually embed the whole treble under the skin (like in powerbait), or hook one point alongside the dorsal fin? Devil's in those details.

All good tips. Thanks.

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 06:45:02 PM »
Just one point of the treble to hook the bait. the other two to hook the trout.  !<>!
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 06:45:02 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question