Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Small Idea  (Read 528 times)

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
Small Idea
« on: January 13, 2017, 05:10:11 PM »
Here's a little idea I just thought of and have already put into play. It's mainly for anyone who may have some of the paper lake maps that are sold in the local PA B&T's. I have amassed quite a collection of them being an old fart who's first maps were chiseled on stone tablets. Anyway I'm thoroughly modern now and my idea is this. Lay your paper map on the floor flat as possible and take a pic of it with your cell phone. It takes a few tries to get a good steady shot but once you do you can have it on the with you more convenient than a big old paper map flapping in the breeze.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

Small Idea
« on: January 13, 2017, 05:10:11 PM »

Offline gee-dub

Re: Small Idea
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 07:16:42 PM »
and when you're done, send them all to me k thx  >:D  ;)

more seriously, how up to date/accurate do people find those maps?  i was thinking of picking up a few but wasn't sure how current they are/how much the lakes have changed.

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 08:05:08 PM »
and when you're done, send them all to me k thx  >:D  ;)

more seriously, how up to date/accurate do people find those maps?  i was thinking of picking up a few but wasn't sure how current they are/how much the lakes have changed.

I don't find them accurate or upto date at all. They are simple guides to what is down there. One of the local pioneers who created them was a Morris Kashuba. I spoke with him once on the phone about 12 years ago. Nicest older gentleman you would ever want to meet. I imaging that he went around the lakes taking readings off of the very first sonar/flashers available. Some of them are probably 40 or more years old. They are much than nothing IMO Definitely a piece of local fishing history. I use mine every year.
FM
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 08:11:25 PM by fishin_musician »
Have an Ice Day!

Offline crappiman

• Charter Member
  • God walked on water to create Ice Fishing....
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 11:03:18 PM »
Great idea FM. Now can you send those pics to your charter members.
I don't have any lake maps.  ;)  >:D
Men and Fish are alike.... They both get in trouble when they open there mouths......

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 11:03:18 PM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 11:51:09 PM »
I know you all are joking about this. I could never do that in my position. When I bought them they were only a few dollars each. They are copyright protected and I believe one of the guys who sells them is a member so you are making this discussion uncomfortable.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline crappiman

• Charter Member
  • God walked on water to create Ice Fishing....
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 12:22:15 AM »
Yeah,  l was just joking.....I have new chart plotter technology. The lakes I fish, I map out in open water with my Lowrance, Save to flash card and use app on my phone to navagate on hard water. Thinking about upgrading to the newest MarCum RT 9. I'll have everything in one unit.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 12:23:50 AM by crappiman »
Men and Fish are alike.... They both get in trouble when they open there mouths......

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 08:14:39 AM »
So that's bringing it back around to my point. for the small lakes that we fish in NEPA that don't have Navionics maps these little hand drawn paper maps are a blessing IMO. Going to a new lake? Get the map and see what the bottom of the bowl looks like. They do show humps, steep banks, shallow water, deep water, weed beds, sand bars, etc. Then some things are just missed altogether so there is some mystery left too. Take a pic of your map and bring it with you on the ice. Get a GPS tracking app like Navionics or Backcountry Navigator and walk yourself right to a structure that you want to fish. You will still have to hunt for it with your flasher but w/o the map you would never have known it was there in the first place.
FM
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 12:50:45 PM by fishin_musician »
Have an Ice Day!

Offline kenP

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 09:48:38 AM »
Great idea FM!  I have a large format scanner at my office and have been converting most of mine to pdf's over the years but never thought about just taking some pics!
[/center]

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 09:48:38 AM »

Offline CowDawg

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 03:05:09 PM »
I got a stack of some old ones too, I'll have to dig them up...  I think they're in my boat!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 03:05:09 PM »