Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: What will rainy next two days do to the ice?  (Read 730 times)

Offline Rob L

• Ice Man
What will rainy next two days do to the ice?
« on: January 11, 2017, 10:23:09 AM »
Hi all,
    I am writing this on Wednesday morning, Jan. 11. I know that the next two days are supposed to be warm
maybe up to 50 tomorrow. We are supposed to get rain in the area (northeast PA) tomorrow. It is also supposed
to cool down for the weekend. I am wondering from those who have experience if two days in the 40's along with
some rain will ruin the ice for the weekend? Thanks, in advance.

Ice Fishing 247

What will rainy next two days do to the ice?
« on: January 11, 2017, 10:23:09 AM »

Offline gee-dub

Re: What will rainy next two days do to the ice?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 10:40:19 AM »
It depends on a lot of factors, like how much ice was there to start, how hot it actually gets, how cold it drops overnight and how much rain we really get.  Assuming your lake has a decent base layer of ice, the overnight lows look cold enough to fight off the heatwave during the day.  But really, you're not going to know until you get out and drill Saturday morning.

Offline Rob L

• Ice Man
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 10:44:36 AM »
It depends on a lot of factors, like how much ice was there to start, how hot it actually gets, how cold it drops overnight and how much rain we really get.  Assuming your lake has a decent base layer of ice, the overnight lows look cold enough to fight off the heatwave during the day.  But really, you're not going to know until you get out and drill Saturday morning.

Thanks for the response. I am looking to fish Lackawanna lake, I think there is about 7 inches of clear ice there now. I am most worries about the
edges...

Offline diehard

• Ice Man
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 10:50:12 AM »
it shouldnt deteriorate that quickly.  if you're worried then bring a board and walk across that.  but i have fished after rain storms and warmups and the ice usually holds.  just pick a good spot to get on (no water seeping up or cracks in the ice).  a spud bar is nice to have too
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 10:50:12 AM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 12:10:28 PM »
It drops below freezing Friday.  Every thing should be as it was by Saturday morning. You may have to take a big step over the edges. There will be guys out today and tomorrow, and on to the weekend.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline perchgypsy

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 12:29:42 PM »
I'd worry  more about where creeks or rivers come in if you get a good rain ,run off can hurt ,you should be fine if you have 7 solid inches,I look at it like a blessing ,knocks all the junk off then the refreeze should be adding to the ice more than hurting it on Friday in upstate NY as well,boy I seen a giant coyote that been hit by a vehical on 81 north just passing Lackawanna lake park sign on Monday morning bet it was all of 50lb dog,old yote
ICE PLEASE

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 12:48:57 PM »
Same thing happened last week and by Sat. morning everything was locked up TIGHT!

I am more concerned about next weekend(1/21 and 1/22).............................forecast says 40's almost every day next week and not much below freezing at night.

And the long range forecast looks like we will be dealing with the roller coaster ride the next couple months.   ::)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 01:02:54 PM by RutNut »

Offline capt.crappie

• Ice Man
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 08:01:47 PM »
Same thing happened last week and by Sat. morning everything was locked up TIGHT!

I am more concerned about next weekend(1/21 and 1/22).............................forecast says 40's almost every day next week and not much below freezing at night.

And the long range forecast looks like we will be dealing with the roller coaster ride the next couple months.   ::)
From my years of experience here in the south east. 40' days do not do much damage. As long as it gets below freezing at night. Her we are looking at 50's next week. Itss like 63 here now. The little ice we just got. Is probably toast. I was just out picking up night crawlers !!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 08:01:47 PM »

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 08:58:03 PM »
Sadly they are predicting 50's again (Southeast) next week. :'( A Stick a fork in our ice. Probably back to square one.

Offline Mark D

• Charter Member
  • Grandson on the ice!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 06:26:41 AM »
Fred, sent you a PM. I'll determine which lake we are fishing Sunday tomorrow. It will probably be our last chance until we get serious cold weather again. Next weekend will be shot. Mark

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 10:03:27 AM »
the thing I'm worrying about now is the damage the runoff is doing to the ice. Old holes are turning into spiders, cracks are opening and not refreezing. With the warm temps at night along with the rediculas temps during the day, I'm afraid that there will be a lot of rotten ice out there. It might be 6 or 8" thick but ready to fall apart. Be careful guys. I'm hoping February shows us more love. Keep thinking cold thoughts.  (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*)
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 12:40:28 PM »
I saw some nasty looking SPider holes last Sat, but thankfully it got cold enough Fri nite to refreeze everything solid! I'm hoping for the same thing tonight. Supposed to get back into the mid-teens. Rest of weekend looks good. Thankfully I have off Monday, so probably I will hit it hard for 3 days.

Next week is a different story. Probably going to keep us grounded next weekend. But the following week looks good, so with any luck we'll be back on the ice by 1/28! A one week pause in the season is not bad! I just don't want to see a 2 or 3 week break in the season!  :?

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 12:40:28 PM »

Offline Mark D

• Charter Member
  • Grandson on the ice!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 04:38:52 PM »
I here ya Spider and RutNut. I'm going to check some conditions with my jigging rod tomorrow....

Offline choo choo

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 08:26:44 PM »
Use lot's of caution tomorrow morning wherever you fish . I fished the same lake, and same spot on the lake in northern Wayne county both Wednesday and today. Lost 3 inches of ice, weakened the shoreline,but more importantly, some of my 8" auger holes drained tons of water and the new drain holes were as large as a 55 gallon drum today and skimmed over with one eighth inch of ice...very dangerous  .
I'm pretty sure the same thing happened on many lakes in Wayne county , so use caution and use your spud and keep an eye out for those weak spots and drain holes.
Stay Safe.......WHEN IN DOUBT ,  DON'T HEAD OUT

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 08:26:44 PM »