Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Epic Fall and Other Atrocities  (Read 810 times)

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
Epic Fall and Other Atrocities
« on: January 08, 2017, 08:28:57 PM »
I went up the Pack this morning 7 at sterling when I pulled in at about 7. I had a few different options in mind, but when we were going by the turn off, the wheel of my Tahoe suddenly pulled hard to the left, and the choice was made. Despite the cold, the wind held off until around noon. I was trying out some mental spots I had picked out from maps, little nooks and crannies that looked good in print. The first was a bust and after an hour and a half I picked up and moved a couple hundred yards to the mouth of the little bay where five mile comes into the lake. Still slow, then suddenly I had a flag, it turned out to be my best pickerel of the season and really fat, FAT, 25.5 inches. One thing about the picks in the pack they eat well. They are broad shouldered and full bellied. Around lunch time I missed one when the tip up spool over wrapped the line onto the retrieve handle. Then another flag with a fish off near the hole. I don't think it was ever hooked just holding the large chub in its mouth. Time to grill up some brats! It was so cold and windy that I closed the Coleman propane grill lid over the brats to keep the heat on them. When they were sizzling, I covered them with the buns and shut the grill again this toasted the bun on both sides and warmed everything up great. I ate one, and as I was getting ready to put mustard on the second one, I looked over my shoulder to see another flag. I slammed down the grill lid, grabbed my jaw spreader, hook extractor, and bolted for the flag. Three giant steps and suddenly I was air born, flying about 4 feet above the surface of the ice. What goes up. Bang I hit hard on my right side my right elbow folded under me over my lung and pectoral. After a few choice words and discovering that I could still stand I was off again to land a smaller but none the less fat pickerel. I have extended pull ropes on my sleds so I can pull them up over banks and terrain that most would avoid. When I took off after the flag my foot was inside the tow rope I guess, and that's the name of that tune. At least I wasn't the guy I saw chasing his hub or pullover down the lake. It caught my eye early enough so that I could enjoy several minutes of entertainment not at my own expense. It might have been a hub but it didn't tumble and roll like they will do when the get away. Instead, it sailed like a vessel down the lake from the marina area onward through the narrows and off to sea. The poor guy chased it for a football field then quickly realized that it was hopeless and went to gather his gear, presumably to hunt for it by car. I wish him well. If you happen upon it you can post it here and maybe someone can be reunited with their possession. Another great day on the ice, every trip is an adventure henna?
FM
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 08:36:59 PM by fishin_musician »
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

Epic Fall and Other Atrocities
« on: January 08, 2017, 08:28:57 PM »

Offline HenryDavid

Re: Epic Fall and Other Atrocities
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 09:04:23 PM »
Ice follies ~  :o    those pickerel are thick, I have 2 days in a row to hit a couple lakes, crappie hunting Monday into the night and a pickerel chase on Tuesday

Offline CowDawg

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 09:08:54 PM »
Yo mon......  You didn't have any of those brats cooking when I fished with you the other day!!!!   :(

Offline kenP

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 09:16:38 PM »
Good story and nice fish.  I wonder what they would weigh.
[/center]

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 09:16:38 PM »

Offline Tafton Dan

• Hop Head
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 09:43:57 PM »
Good story. Glad your ok.
I have to admit, I wimped out today when I saw 7 degrees on the thermometer and the wind picking up.

Offline Its ice

• Its ice
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 09:56:29 PM »
dont forget the scratchy throat td.....lol.........sounds like a hard landing fm.....hope dude found his shelter.
Watch the ice

Offline crappiman

• Charter Member
  • God walked on water to create Ice Fishing....
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 10:20:37 PM »
Great story!  Glad your ok, might be feeling the pain tomorrow.   
Men and Fish are alike.... They both get in trouble when they open there mouths......

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 11:20:09 PM »
Great story!  Glad your ok, might be feeling the pain tomorrow.   

Oh yea! Feeling it now. Gonna need a jump start in the morning.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 11:20:09 PM »

Offline zziipp

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 05:53:02 AM »
Had a couple of them flips my self.glad your ok.Here's my story from sat. I lined up 3 new tipups during the week.I went with a black 20 lb braid.instead of my usual 40 lb tow rope lol. Checked everything out at the house trip mech, tension setting,ext.all worked flawless. So fri I set my chub traps and checked them twice got a couple big ones and about 9 mixed smaller to med ones.not a drop of ice on the crick.so I left em for sat morn.so sat morn my traps were under about 1/4 inch of ice. A cinder block took care of that. Chit last yr me and Andy pulled out the gas auger and drilled through 3.5 inches of ice to set r traps on a hole you could almost jump over the whole crick lol. So fishing at the pack i went. when I put the tent up a pole was out so I had to flip the tent over and do some quick fixing. Than to set the traps put the depth finder on an 20 ft she dropped. Set the drag a Lil and went to test the pull and because it was prob like 10 degs with the wind the plastic spool must have shrunk a Lil bit and the whole spool of line was turning and not the spool it self. Well I only put a 100 yds on and didn't give it a thought. The spool holds 500 yds. And of course I didn't put elect. tape down on the spool first like you would on a spinning reel. So there went my big chub idea and I slammed them in the bucket and caught some perch lol. So this morning when I got home from work and the tipups were in the heat all day I picked one up and tried to pull it around and it's solid not slipping when in the heat.so I summed it up that plastic spool must be shrinking up a lil bit. All in all though I got some perch and enjoyed the day. Oh and the hogie I got they must have put a cup of dressing on when I opened it up for lunch the chit was all over the place. The end lol. Still a great day though.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:06:37 AM by zziipp »
WHO SAID WE CAN'T WALK ON WATER.MUST BE A LAND LOVER.

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 06:16:46 AM »
ouch, glad yer ok.

I had my clam take off on me one time. I had it set as a windbreak and I got up to help a buddy with a fish and it took off like a bass boat! I didn't have any cleats on so I was slipping and falling and laughing the whole time, a guy at the other end of the lake caught it for me! yeah, definitely funnier when it's the other guy!  >:D
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Offline crappiman

• Charter Member
  • God walked on water to create Ice Fishing....
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 07:18:41 AM »
Got to anchor those huts down. If you have a flip, mount two straps to the outside sled and put two screw anchors in. I had the worst two times out in all my ice fishing career.
A lot of lookers, no takers. The marcum just kept me out longer throwing everything down the hole at them. oI
Men and Fish are alike.... They both get in trouble when they open there mouths......

Offline zziipp

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 08:18:17 AM »
Sat it looked like a 3 quarter moon. Nothing suspending.all the perch were nestled on the bottom.and when the sun dropped the bite was done.
WHO SAID WE CAN'T WALK ON WATER.MUST BE A LAND LOVER.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 08:18:17 AM »

Offline choo choo

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 08:25:29 AM »
Nice story and report. I've lasso'd myself and gone down hard with the sled rope several times over the years...no fun, but funny at times.
Nice size pickerel, good job. I like the way you measured it using a straight edge saw cut to show the end of ruler and tip of tail...fair and true measurement for all of us to see. (*)
Stay Safe.......WHEN IN DOUBT ,  DON'T HEAD OUT

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 08:34:27 AM »
You were just starting to feel better Dave.
Awwwww your a tough old bugger.
A bit of Jack Fire and the pain will be gone.lol.
All joking aside,glad your ok....
You crush those big Pickerel :)
 Thinking of hitting the pac this weekend.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline eaglejac

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 09:33:33 AM »
Glad to hear everybody is ok after all of the falling, the last time I when air born was about 10 years ago at Tobyhanna , just walking across the ice then the next thing I knew I was looking up at the sky and almost knocked myself out, ever since then I never get on the ice without the Cramp on,s strapped on , I have been using Hillsound Trail Ice crampons , they are a little pricy but worth every penny not to break any bones or knock your self out. Oh and one unexpected benefit is my feet stay warmer , the spikes are about a half inch long and keeps your foot above the ice.. Hillsound, trail crampons
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:06:52 AM by eaglejac »

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 09:33:33 AM »