Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Crank weights new way to use you open water lures  (Read 578 times)

Offline fishingwithconfidence

• Setting hooks
Crank weights new way to use you open water lures
« on: January 07, 2017, 03:27:24 AM »
So clam has these crank weights to use your floating baits on the ice. Just curious how or if anyone has used this system. I feel like for big perch pounding the bottom and the tail staying raised tipped with a minnow they could be killer or walleye. Even using small flat bills for crappie sounds like it would work why buy Rippin raps and limit the different styles you can get from the boxes we got stored in the basement. So please let's hear your experience if you have done so and advise one how much weight to use. Also it seems so simple sure the old timers are gonna say they been doin this for years with lead from old car rims lol no offense to the wise.

Ice Fishing 247

Crank weights new way to use you open water lures
« on: January 07, 2017, 03:27:24 AM »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
Re: Crank weights new way to use you open water lures
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 07:27:36 AM »
$5 for 3 painted sinkers. I may try making a few on my own and see if I like the results. I have wire, paint and god knows I have sinkers. Oh yea I have dozens of crank baits that are unemployed at the moment. I posted a pic below.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Online Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 08:59:36 AM »

Hmmm 😉

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 10:08:20 PM »
I whipped one of these up w/o any troubles. I took a bell sinker and cut off the shaft wire. Turned it upside down and used a piece of spinner shaft to make a new shaftbending it with some pliers to make it stay on the shaft and a closed snap type top. sprayed it with some handy paint and there you have it. I think for the size bait a smaller sinker would work better but it was an easy to do project. I'm going to try a few more sizes and give them a try on the Susky if it ever freezes.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 10:08:20 PM »

Offline fishingwithconfidence

• Setting hooks
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 12:25:32 AM »
I plan to do the same thing just make them but want to try on smaller cranks but bigger bills to make a lot of vibrations. I use Rippin raps and Crappie just slam them  but the small 1.5. and don't need bait. Maybe some bomber cranks or flicker minnow in the smaller sizes. now I'm getting pumped for iceing fish.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 12:25:32 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question