Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Jawjacker use tips and suggestions......  (Read 825 times)

Offline Jiggerman

Jawjacker use tips and suggestions......
« on: January 05, 2017, 06:17:41 PM »
I don't know if this topic will get combined with another but I figured a lot of our members use the jawjacker and they are a sponsor and everybody has different ways of doing things that could be mentioned here in this thread.

I have been experimenting with different rigs for using large baits with my Jawjackers.   I used a right last year that had a sliding line with a hook on above the directly tied hook on the main line.  I hooked fish but still missed a few and had some get off while walking to the sprung rod.  I thought it was do to the one hook that was the slider was the one that was in the fishes mouth and just did not get hooked well because of that hook not getting the full pull of the rod on the set. 

I modified my right this year that the hooks are fixed on the ends of the line and I can still use XL BAIT. 

These are my hand made rigs. 

Ice Fishing 247

Jawjacker use tips and suggestions......
« on: January 05, 2017, 06:17:41 PM »

Offline chez

• PBR Man
Re: Jawjacker use tips and suggestions......
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 06:31:15 PM »
Thanks for the info jiggerman.
Im having a tuff time with my JJ.ERS
JUST WANNA LAND A FEW FISH WITH THEM.
MISS ALL THE TIME.AND SHINER GONE .LOL.
I SHOULD JUST DROP THE HOLE BUCKET OF BAIT IN THE HOLE.
EVERYONE LUVS THEM.
I CANT HAVE ANY LUCK WITH THEM.LOL.
GOOD PRODUCT.BUT I GUESS NOT FOR ME :-\
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline Jiggerman

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 06:39:33 PM »
Chez I had the same problem when I first started using them.  Got to be expensive.   What happens is the fish grabs the minnow by the head or tail and trips the jacker ripping the hook out of its back and not hitting the jaw of the fish.   When I'm using baits that are 5+"S that's alot of room for a fish to grab and not hit a hook.   That's why I started using 2 hooks.  One hook goes either in the lips or behind the head and the other goes about half way to the tail (if you hook right at the tail they don't swim right).    If they hit it either end they get whacked.   Also when you hooked them in the mouth only get the upper lip or they end up dying on the hook cause they can't breath. 

Offline Jiggerman

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 06:41:21 PM »
Also you hardly lose baits because usually only one if any of the hooks pull out.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 06:41:21 PM »

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 07:34:59 PM »
Great tip buddy.
Thank you.
Im ready to give up on them.

Im thinking just like you gang hook a worm on the Delaware might work also?????
Thanks Again.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline ram guy

• Ice Man
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 08:28:12 PM »
I tried the one I won here last yr out the other day. Had 2 bites on it first one the hookdidnt set but the second bite it set and fish on. I tried it with just a minnow head on a jig but I'm sure the jig was too small. After watching the video FM posted the other night and watching a few more videos after that I tied a bigger jig on last night and want to try that this weekend. Do you guys use live minnows on them at all? That was the ticket where I fished the other day. I wasn't sure if a live one would trip it on its own or not. Do you just have to turn the tension way up first for a live bait?

Offline carhartt123

• Ice Man
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 09:26:37 AM »
I have a question about the jaw jacker. I have been thinking about picking up one or two they seem like a great product. My question is what happens when the hole freezes over? It does not seem very practical to have to constantly clear those holes. Are guys only really these on fair weather days? For the guys that have one what has been your experience?

Offline Jiggerman

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 10:01:53 AM »
Carhartt the holes do freeze over and get to be a pain the Arse but as long as you don't let the ice get 2 thick they are still effective.  I made some hole covers for mine for this reason and to keep the snow from blowing in the hole and slushing up. 

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 10:01:53 AM »

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 12:59:52 PM »
When the holes freeze, the line can still move freely. I just wait til I get a fish on, then break the ice with my foot.

Also, you might wanna try using the smallest hooks and bait you can. That usually works well.

When I am targeting bigger fish with bigger bait, I just start with light resistance on the trigger and gradually turn it up until the bait doesn't set it off.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 12:59:52 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question