Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: crappie jigging  (Read 821 times)

Offline iceman41

crappie jigging
« on: January 05, 2017, 08:47:20 AM »
guys, what jigs do you find that work the best for crappies, and do you have better luck in the am, pm, or night

Ice Fishing 247

crappie jigging
« on: January 05, 2017, 08:47:20 AM »

Offline brownmk19

Re: crappie jigging
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 02:38:21 PM »
There's no straightforward answer. It varies day to day, even hour to hour. Personally, I prefer small jigging raps and small jigging spoons such as a forage minnow or SP, but often small lead/tungsten jigs are the ticket. Have a diverse selection at your disposal and just keep switching colors, size and techniques until the fish tell you what they want. Good luck!

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 03:45:30 PM »
I agree with the above but will mention that crappies also love minnows. I usually have a dead stick with a jig and fathead combo nearby if I am targeting them. While some lakes have decent daytime bites; most time they turn on at low light periods; just before dark till well after is a good stating point. Also crappie feed up so you should start higher in the column. Every lake is different so it certainly pays to be flexible.

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 04:03:55 PM »
Everything mentioned above is spot on, I'm not a real fan of a particular manufacturer of jigs or spoons, proper size and color are all that matter to me.  Fathead minnows are a crappies delight.  In my experience they will hit a variety of lures / jigs / baits, but finding them has always been the trick.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 04:03:55 PM »

Offline perchgypsy

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 04:11:29 PM »
Great advice Van,last few years I been using small  plastic s,and once you gain confidence with them they are tough to beat,glo bro bug is my favorite,dead stick with jig head and  minnow on one rod ,jig head with soft plastic on another ,once you locate the fish I hardly need another minnow
ICE PLEASE

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 06:36:29 PM »
perchgypsy you got it; I do better on crappie with bare plastic than any other pan fish, that is if I manage to locate them. ;)

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 06:41:26 PM »
Everything mentioned above is spot on, I'm not a real fan of a particular manufacturer of jigs or spoons, proper size and color are all that matter to me.  Fathead minnows are a crappies delight.  In my experience they will hit a variety of lures / jigs / baits, but finding them has always been the trick.
I agree 100% HENERY DAVID :)
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 06:45:32 PM »

Heres 2 new jigs i bought yesterdsy.
Ratteling kastmasters.
I cant wait to try them saturdsy evening for cslico.
I modifed the trebles.
Gunna paint the back side in glow.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 06:45:32 PM »

Offline pasaint77

• Ice Man
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 07:43:08 PM »
I picked up a few of those kastmasters as well! They should work for something! I'm really hoping for crappie to hit but I'm sure the picks are gonna love them

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 07:47:41 PM »
Ya buddy

Offline crappiman

• Charter Member
  • God walked on water to create Ice Fishing....
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 08:19:24 PM »
Night is my favorite time for crappie. I like to get several holes drilled before sunset. I fish 2 holes, one dead stick with a fathead minnow and other jigging the flavor of the night. I've noticed light has a play in the bite also, since crappie Are suspended, be sure to be light on your feet if fishing shallow water.
If there's a full moon, stay home.
Good luck! ;)
Men and Fish are alike.... They both get in trouble when they open there mouths......

Offline ram guy

• Ice Man
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 08:33:48 PM »
Chez I read some place else about you guys switching to the single hook? Any reason behind it? I bought a couple jigs like that a while back and tied a couple on last night to try. Do you guys tip them with anything or just the jig?

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 08:33:48 PM »

Offline Hookset1

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 08:48:29 PM »
I Love fishing for crappie/calico. I do most of it at night or late evening into dark. 2 years ago I experimented with hand-tied jigs. Let me tell you they are awesome. I have used Marabou,Deer Hair, Calf Hair, and am going to experiment with some different stuff this year. I honestly catch more on these than anything. That includes fatheads on a slip bobber. as far as the hair some nights are different. I have had nights where they wouldn't touch the deer hair and the marabou shined and vice versa.  The beauty is no time waisted with baiting, and they are very durable. Have had the same jigs for a few years now. I do use different heads and sizes but mainly stick with 1/16 for shallow and 1/8 or bigger if I'm deeper.

There is a great video on youtube about it and thats what got me into it. Check it out https://youtu.be/T7nyruQoGyA

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 10:49:21 PM »
Hookset, I saw a guy on youtube that used the hair jigs and he was cleaning up on the calicos, I'm thinking a marabou wooly bugger might work  ::) ::)

Offline Hookset1

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 10:52:35 PM »
HeneryDavid, probably the same guy! its and uncut angling video. He gets some slobs topside for sure. I am going to be tying some up soon. Can't wait to get out at night!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 10:52:35 PM »