Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Mini Fish Grippers  (Read 359 times)

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
Mini Fish Grippers
« on: January 02, 2017, 09:21:56 PM »
Chez and I both are hooked on using our  big fish grippers to wrangle slimy channel cats when we get them to shore. I picked up these mini ones by Rapala at Dicks tonight. A bit too big for gills but they will handle crappie, eyes, bass and pickerel no problem.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

Mini Fish Grippers
« on: January 02, 2017, 09:21:56 PM »

Offline gee-dub

Re: Mini Fish Grippers
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 09:35:50 PM »
i still can't tell how much damage those things to do fish (i might have posted about it here).  the high end ones at least rotate to allow the fish to spin freely without hurting their jaws.  these smaller ones don't have that mechanism.  in the end i just decided to do it the old fashioned way.

Offline crappiman

• Charter Member
  • God walked on water to create Ice Fishing....
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 09:45:31 PM »
i still can't tell how much damage those things to do fish (i might have posted about it here).  the high end ones at least rotate to allow the fish to spin freely without hurting their jaws.  these smaller ones don't have that mechanism.  in the end i just decided to do it the old fashioned way.
yeah specially ice fishing. I scooped many fish out of the hole by jamming my hand in it. lost a nice perch saturday that way though.
Men and Fish are alike.... They both get in trouble when they open there mouths......

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 09:54:36 PM »
I don't think they are meant to land a fish. Rather, to facilitate manipulating it once you have it safely on the shore, in the boat or, on the ice. "Nothing does as much damage to a fish as a filet knife, a frying pan and a fork".
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 09:54:36 PM »

Offline gee-dub

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 09:58:34 PM »
ah, interesting, that makes sense.  definitely would be useful for the toothies, they can be maniacs on the ice.

Offline Icemole

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 10:51:22 PM »
 I picked up a larger set of E-bay earlier this fall. After they showed up I saw that the jaws lock tight together(hard plastic) and thought to myself that's got to hurt the fish. I know if I locked them on a flap of my skin I'd get a pretty nasty blood blister. Don't know if it will affect a fish or how long any damage might last, but I filed the jaws down on mine so there is a 1/16th(?) gap between them now - a little wiggle room  ;D

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 10:59:29 PM »
You need to look at the damage your hooks are doing to then too. I also use jaw spreaders to pry open the jaws of toothies. Better than going for stitches. My jaw spreaders are a small set but do the job there are some monster sets available. Even my little ones will poke right through the soft tissue between the bone structure of the fishes face. Talking pike, pickerel and muskys. They are not necessary on most species. Maybe walleye. You should see what they do to deer. They shoot and kill them! not kidding, no catch, photo and release. Seriously the jaw spreaders save more fish than would survive with out them. Sort of like being a fish surgeon. You need the proper tools to do the job.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 06:58:39 AM »
I see a lot of these being used by guys that fish out of kayaks in salt water. Most of the fish they catch had big teeth so they use the larger sized fish grips and boga grips. A lot of times they just get in the way but sometimes, there is no other way. Personally, on the ice I just dive bomb them but I got spined the last time I was out. Dive bombed a fat gill and when I pulled him out of the ice he was hanging from my hand! Went in about 3/8"! Grips wouldn't have helped, I shoulda been wearing my gloves. Waterproof leather work gloves. I can even lip a big pickerel with them ;)
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 06:58:39 AM »

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 07:09:50 AM »
I don't think they are meant to land a fish. Rather, to facilitate manipulating it once you have it safely on the shore, in the boat or, on the ice. "Nothing does as much damage to a fish as a filet knife, a frying pan and a fork".
FM
I agree with FM.
I dont think they are made to land a fish.
Just to control the fish once landed to remove hook and safely release.
I think there safer than wrestling a big cat on shore with your hands trying to get the hook out.
Im sold on mine.
Glow in the Dark too!!!!!!
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • Open water is nice... but, I'd rather be on ice!!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 07:17:35 AM »
A good solid hook set on a fish has to do more damage than that tool being used on them! 🎣
DO WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU DO....LIFE IS GOOD!

Proud member of the O.L.L.C. and N.S.T.!

DON'T WORRY FREDDIE....THE BITE WILL GET HOT AT 11:00!!

Offline Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 07:30:46 AM »

Did someone say hook set  :o,the grippers are a nice aid

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 07:30:46 AM »