Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: New in area  (Read 619 times)

Offline finfish04

• Ice Man
New in area
« on: December 29, 2016, 08:04:20 PM »
Hi All, My wife and I just moved in the Lancaster Pa. area and just love it here. We have been Ice fishing in Ct since the 1980's. We have fished for bass, trout, perch,pickerel, and Pike over the years even tried night fishing for walleye a couple of times. All my friends are up north and I am all dressed up and no where to go. I found this site last night and registered right away. If anyone could direct me in the right direction for good hard water fishing within a reasonable distance from me  I would appreciate it very much. Thank you in advance and have a healthy, prosperous and happy new year, Dino

Ice Fishing 247

New in area
« on: December 29, 2016, 08:04:20 PM »

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
Re: New in area
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 08:11:34 PM »
How far are you willing to travel North???
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline redblur00

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 08:18:22 PM »
Drive up north like chez said lotsa good places here. I travel to ur area alot to circle m camping and grocery shopping at bbs nice area

Offline finfish04

• Ice Man
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 09:12:31 PM »
Thanks for responding so quickly. I would guess around an hour or so drive each way, maybe more. I know it sounds a little vague but I am looking for close day fishing as well as all day. All day I would drive farther. hope this makes sense. Thanks again, Dino

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 09:12:31 PM »

Offline CowDawg

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 09:32:20 PM »
Welcome finfish..

Well, most of us here are in the Wilkes-Barre, Scranton and surrounding areas... some further.
I believe Lancaster is about 1 hour 45 minutes from Wilkes Barre.  via Rt. 81...

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 06:11:40 AM »
welcome aboard!

You're kind of a bit south for anything during the early season. If it was a good winter, which it hasn't been so far, you could probably find a few spots closer to home. But this year you'll have a bit of driving to do before you hit safe ice. Think Poconos or higher. Brady's, Francis Walter maybe, Tobyhanna and Gouldsboro... these are about where you would start looking for ice when it's not an exceptionally cold year. Go north from there. For something a little closer to you, keep an eye on Beltzville.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 07:20:50 AM »
I know of no where an hour from you buddy..Sorry.
if you came a bit further north,i could give you some good areas.
good luck to you and your wife.
and welcome to our site :)
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 07:42:59 AM »
Welcome to the site Dino! Where are you in Lancaster? I grew up just north of there in Lebanon County, but we would go to Lancaster all the time.

I didn't ice fish back then, but I knew some diehards in the area. The go-to lake down there seemed to be the big lake at Middlecreek Wildlife Area(Locals called it Project 70) It may take awhile for it to get safe ice, though. Another area is Blue Marsh in Berks County. That should be within an hr drive of Lancaster. Middlecreek would be closer in Kleinfeltersville.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 07:42:59 AM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 11:23:33 AM »
Rutnut had a couple good suggestions for you. We do have members form SEPA. But as you might have noticed you are living in a warmer environment than CT. Hence there are fewer people from SEPA that ice fish. Those that do have resigned themselves to driving to Northern PA or waiting for good ice in their area. Where can I ice fish near Lancaster is simple as finding out where you can fish and waiting for ice to form on it. some years it will some years it won't. Beltzville State Park is another option but at almost 2 hours for you. Maunch Chunk State Park is an hour and 40 minutes. Ontelaunnee Lake is one that is 52 minutes. Get on Google maps and take a look at some of these. Get your 5 posts in, then start looking for ice reports.
FM
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:26:08 AM by fishin_musician »
Have an Ice Day!

Offline finfish04

• Ice Man
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 05:24:21 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words and welcome. Already I have learned about several bodies of water near me that we can use our boat on and fish this spring even though ice fishing on them is iffy.Being a striped bass fisherman Beltzville has me excited to try. Thank you all so much and a Happy, Healthy and prosperous new year to you all, Dino

Offline carhartt123

• Ice Man
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 10:01:03 AM »
Hey Dino welcome to the site. Last year I moved to the Harrisburg area so this will be my first ice season in southern PA. I am hoping to get out down here a few times. The lakes that I have been looking at are Little Buffalo State park, and Gifford Pinchot. I believe both would be an hour or less drive for you. Once everything gets locked up I will check in with you and maybe we can get out.

Offline Icemole

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 06:16:43 PM »
finfish04 - I'm up in Reading area as noted it's alittle warm around our area. But here is a list of lakes roughly 1hr from you - Memorial Lake(Lebanon Co.), Middle Creek(Lancaster/Lebanon line)(there is a large restricted area), Sweet Arrow (Schulkyill Co). Over here in Berks you have Hopewell + Scotts Run(both in French Creek State Park), Antiedam lake, Ontelaunee(one of the most popular lakes in SE PA), Kearcher Creek Lake and Blue Marsh(very iffy for ice fishing - big water and deep with fluctuating water levels -but closer than Beltsville for stripers). To your east in Chester Co. you have Struble and Marsh Creek(Chambers lake too but no ice fishing there). Across the Susky you have Redman/Williams and Pinchot(might be pushing the 1 hr mark the same at Little Buffalo). In your location they just repaired Speedwell Forge Lake - not sure what stage the refill/restock is in but they seem to be allowing catch and release at these lakes for X yrs after they refill.

If you NEED to get on the ice NOW your best shot is the Pocono's - Pike/Wayne County

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 06:16:43 PM »