Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: "Audible Tip Up Alarms"  (Read 454 times)

Offline CowDawg

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
"Audible Tip Up Alarms"
« on: December 27, 2016, 09:11:16 PM »

I'll post my latest tip up modification as per a special request from Management.  !<>!

Maybe, it's already in the archives or somebody already had the idea but I didn't see it so here goes.

Using some window alarms I purchased online, (hint,harbor freight has them too, just a little different style) I mounted them to my wooden tip ups to hear the big bite if and when your on the ice cold and hunkered down inside your ice shack..
OR  your fishing with Uncle Chez! (I just had to say that) ;D

It's setup to sound off if and when your flag sets off..

Here are a couple photos of the set up  and 1 video of how it works.

Just your basic Frabil tip up.

Window alarm is glued to the wood about 2-3" above the little trigger dog. Not on the same side but offset the alarm so it does not interfere with the flag.

Find some sheet metal or metal lid from a soup can etc... and cut out little pieces with tin snips.

I used a 5 minute epoxy and glued the metal piece to the side of the alarm. But watch that you don't glue over the top of the battery cover!!  The duct tape is so the battery cover doesn't fall off with the cold weather and lose your batteries.

Using some construction twine cut about 4-5" and tie to the tip of the flag and also to the alarms magnet.

When completed it should look like this!!!!   
The metal is used because the actual magnet is not strong enough to stick to the window alarm box... thus the metal creates a good grip....  Use just enough twine to do the job... too long and it may wrap up and create havoc on the ice.

A quick brief Video of the bite and and the alarm in action.....  CLICK on the hyperlink below!!!.........

http://vid234.photobucket.com/albums/ee203/Fd118mab/My%20Movie.mp4

Enjoy, hope this helps..

Ice Fishing 247

"Audible Tip Up Alarms"
« on: December 27, 2016, 09:11:16 PM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
Re: "Audible Tip Up Alarms"
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 09:49:10 PM »
Thanks brother! I love your dedicated tip up work bench I need one. lol
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 09:59:55 PM »
Awesome post, what kind of Frabill tip-up is that, it looks like a Jack Trap with the grease packed in the tripper tube.

Offline CowDawg

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 10:06:27 PM »
Thanks brother! I love your dedicated tip up work bench I need one. lol
FM

It's universal....  there's a chainsaw I'm working on under the towels.. LOL

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 10:06:27 PM »

Offline crappiman

• Charter Member
  • God walked on water to create Ice Fishing....
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 11:30:12 PM »
Nice, I been using them on my tip ups for about 3 years now.  also made some with lights. they work great, specially when your in your shelter.
I have pics posted some where on here.
Men and Fish are alike.... They both get in trouble when they open there mouths......

Offline redblur00

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 12:31:41 AM »
I got the idea from crappiman. Ya but them at dollar tree also. I made 2 sets ones with just alarms and another set with led strip lights for at night. Flag up alarm lights up.

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 06:30:07 AM »
that's pretty good dawg, but as an upgrade you can get a six sensor wireless alarm system at Amazon. they don't make any sound at the alarm but the main unit that would be in your hut would either make an alarm or show a light that would identify which alarm was set off. That way you don't have a screeching alarm letting everyone know where the fish are  ;)
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Online Icemole

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 06:43:32 AM »
 I bought the red lights (HT) that attach to the flag 15yrs ago.  One of my buddies found some that produced sound but no light that he bought. They came with a key fob that had the speaker in it. Well the first night he used them we were in the hut .... I had 2 of my lights go off - no problem run over pulled in 2 small crappie. Lull in the action the my buddy's key fob goes off... only problem was - which one of his 5 tip-ups was up 5 minutes of panic until he found the right tip-up ... LOL

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 06:43:32 AM »

Offline CowDawg

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 08:47:59 AM »
that's pretty good dawg, but as an upgrade you can get a six sensor wireless alarm system at Amazon. they don't make any sound at the alarm but the main unit that would be in your hut would either make an alarm or show a light that would identify which alarm was set off. That way you don't have a screeching alarm letting everyone know where the fish are  ;)

I like that!  Nice and quiet.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 08:47:59 AM »