Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Another first day out  (Read 545 times)

Offline Van_Cleaver

Another first day out
« on: December 26, 2016, 09:32:57 PM »
Between my schedule and the iffy weather I decided to meet a friend on a small Pocono lake in Monroe County. I was worried about the dreaded freezing rain so I got up pretty early and drove over two hours North. Arrived at the lake about 7:15 and my friend wasn't there yet but three of his friends arrived a few min. later. The weather was overcast and in the twenties, looked to be a killer day for jigging. (it wasn't for me) I drilled at least a dozen holes before I marked a fish, which I promptly missed. I was on my forth big move before I marked another fish which I hooked nicely. I groaned as it pulled out some drag since I was looking for pans and it was obviously a bass. However it was nice to ice the first fish of the year just under 15". I set up my in deadliest  Mr. Jigger combo (super soft 36" rod and a Slender Spoon) and continued to fish out the series of five holes. Wasn't marking squat so I placed a Schooley rig in the third hole and continued on by which time Mr Jr. rod was down. Reeled in a fat Pumpkin Seed and grinned; that's more like it! Missed a couple hit on the dead stick and basically went back and forth between the two rigs icing a couple perch a few seeds and some fine gills. I tried jigging all around the hot holes, in between them, didn't matter. The two unattended rods continued to put fish on the ice.There was 5" of ice that was gray on top with about 4" clear. This lake is super shallow and I was only in 5 ft, so often not being over the hole is a huge advantage, especially when the fish are negative. There was little to no wind and we got a pretty steady rain about mid day. By two everyone was heading out and I got crushed in traffic on 22 near Allentown (3pm!). In the end I drove almost five hours and came home with the two meals I was looking for; great to be ice fishing again! Would I do it again; you betcha! !<>!
first fist of the year:

My take home; the usual two meals for my wife and me. BTW small seed is just over 8".

Ice Fishing 247

Another first day out
« on: December 26, 2016, 09:32:57 PM »

Offline CowDawg

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
Re: Another first day out
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 09:41:27 PM »
Nice catch.. !<>!

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 06:22:21 AM »
glad you got out! I hope all this rain we're getting isn't gonna be the norm for this year!
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Offline Mark D

• Charter Member
  • Grandson on the ice!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 07:34:47 AM »
Glad you got out Fred. Thanks for sharing the pics. Mark

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 07:34:47 AM »

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 11:52:30 AM »
Mr. Jigger strikes again  !<>!    Nice fish, I hope to get on some ice soon.

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 12:06:15 PM »
Glad you had a good day!  8)  Good thing you were not a bit further north, roads got bad in Pike and Wayne counties in the afternoon. I was at Promised Land and left as soon as it started raining. It was 26 when I left and roads were getting slick. Made it home just as roads got bad. Many accidents and some road closures(especially in Wayne co.) 

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 12:16:24 PM »
Thanks guys. Believe me I was worried about the freezing rain, one of the reasons I chose not to go further North. It didn't get as warm as they predicted where I was either; the roads were ok but my reels were coated with a little ice. Ross you know Mr. Jigger is my best fishing buddy. Doesn't drink or eat up my supplies, never complains. If only that tilt would stop out fishing me! ;)

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 12:21:11 PM »
"you know Mr. Jigger is my best fishing buddy. Doesn't drink or eat up my supplies, never complains"  exactly, knows how to keep it's mouth shut, priceless  ;D

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 12:21:11 PM »

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 01:04:19 PM »
Used to fly fish with a buddy and whenever I'd hook a really large trout he would exclaim ," Don't lose him." Talk about helpful...NOT!

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 07:13:25 PM »
Nice.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 07:13:25 PM »