Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Lighting the Tub  (Read 495 times)

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
Lighting the Tub
« on: December 22, 2016, 10:45:50 PM »
So I have gotten a bunch of great ideas for organizing my new Clam unit. How about sharing your experiences regarding lighting the thing for night use. I have a compact single mantle propane lantern and numerous led flashlights. I'm just wondering how you all solved the lighting thing?
FM

Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

Lighting the Tub
« on: December 22, 2016, 10:45:50 PM »

Offline UFCreel

• Flags up! Bobbers down!
Re: Lighting the Tub
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 08:06:30 AM »
Clam light bar works good

Offline KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • NY DIEHARD!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 08:14:22 AM »
Dave, here's the lighting I chose for my office. The lights are the clam LED style. I fastened them to the center tube of the shack using the screws provided. I ran the wires along the tube using zip ties and made the wire connections using butt connectors. After routing the wires along the tube down  towards the tub, I stopped fastening the wire at the section of tube where it collapses. I covered the entire tube and wire with a nice tight wrapped layer of electrical tape to help protect the wire. The remainder of the wire with the alligator clips gets stored in the mesh bag that hangs on the sidewalk. I use a heavy duty waterfowl bag for my arsenal of lures...etc. that I carry a spare fish finder battery in that I use to power the lights. I don't night fish, but, comes in handy for those 4:30 mornings when a headlamp doesn't help much.
DO WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU DO....LIFE IS GOOD!

Proud member of the O.L.L.C. and N.S.T.!

DON'T WORRY FREDDIE....THE BITE WILL GET HOT AT 11:00!!

Offline KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • NY DIEHARD!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 08:18:08 AM »
As the last member posted, the clam light bar works well too. Bud of mine has it. That bar wasn't available when I installed lights in my shack.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 08:18:08 AM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 08:18:54 AM »
That looks real nice. I do want to do night fishing. It works for me and my available free time. Bonus is I can take my tablet along and be on here too.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline ram guy

• Ice Man
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 10:29:46 AM »
I do the know how much Facebook you do. But there is a group on there called trick you trap. I joined just to see what others were doing.  But there's some good ideas on there if ya have a few mins to look around on there

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 09:18:47 PM »
Here's what I came up with. I had these led lights from my little boat. They were too bright out on the dark river at night, attracted bugs like crazy. So I took them and used U bolts to attach them to the top bar. Then just ran some spare wire down one side to a battery that I also had salvaged from the flood a few year ago. Alls I had to buy was the gator clips. Found the bud light in the fridge along with a few of its other buds lol Took him out drinkin' Almost forgot ,,, that there is one of KP's famous rod holders on the corner of the clam. I'm going to see how I like it there before committing where the other one will go.
FM
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:20:21 PM by fishin_musician »
Have an Ice Day!

Offline CowDawg

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 09:25:42 PM »
Interesting....

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 09:25:42 PM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 10:00:11 PM »
Interesting....

I like this solution with the led lights. I have a single mantle lantern but would either be kicking it over or melting the fabric on the tent. Less stuff on the ice is more room for my antsy feet , my flasher and a couple holes to fish in.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 10:03:55 PM »
Lantern does get in the way sometimes,  have you figured out how you're going to flip up and down without pinching the wiring ?

Offline CowDawg

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 10:10:48 PM »
I like this solution with the led lights. I have a single mantle lantern but would either be kicking it over or melting the fabric on the tent. Less stuff on the ice is more room for my antsy feet , my flasher and a couple holes to fish in.
FM

I don't know what I'm doing about lighting either..  I don't want to take my new north star lantern, I'd be blinded by the light...  maybe just my catfish head lamp...

Heading out tomorrow with Chez for my first trip... Going to be a trial and error day...

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 10:11:18 PM »
It just follows the tubing. Its zip tied to it every 12 inches or so.The loose bottom end just gets clipped to itself. shouldn't be an issue.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 10:11:18 PM »

Offline KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • NY DIEHARD!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 10:17:19 PM »
Looking good Dave!!! 👍🕳🎣

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 01:33:50 PM »
I have a light strip attached to the top bar in my clam. It's attached with zip ties. The bar is drilled and the wire runs through the tube and out a hole in the bottom. I have a battery box that I slip under the seat for power. I want to add a couple small lights like FM has down at the bottom to light up the ice at my feet, but that's for another time.

Dawg, sorry I didn't see this thread until just now or I woulda shown you my set up this morning.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 01:33:50 PM »