Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: The last Minsi  (Read 434 times)

Offline Van_Cleaver

The last Minsi
« on: December 19, 2016, 10:22:27 PM »
Well here's some depressing news if you like fishing Minsi Lake. Didn't see a timeline but it sounds like by next year another good pan fishing lake will be destroyed due to having the dam upgraded. I realize it is an older, high risk dam, but it is still a shame since it might take several years for it to come back, and that is after the project is completed. Scheduled for summer 2017
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/07/dam_to_be_refurbished_at_minsi.html

Ice Fishing 247

The last Minsi
« on: December 19, 2016, 10:22:27 PM »

Offline supervdl

• Ice Man
Re: The last Minsi
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 11:24:22 PM »
I Think that I read somewhere  the fishing restrictions are lifted for this ice fishing season.

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 11:45:53 PM »
I was wondering about that myself, so I looked into it. Yes the restrictions on warm water fish have been lifted but not the precious stocked trout.
http://www.mcall.com/sports/outdoors/mc-outdoors-minsi-lake-demko-20160919-story.html

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 06:48:19 AM »
Well here's some depressing news if you like fishing Minsi Lake. Didn't see a timeline but it sounds like by next year another good pan fishing lake will be destroyed due to having the dam upgraded. I realize it is an older, high risk dam, but it is still a shame since it might take several years for it to come back, and that is after the project is completed. Scheduled for summer 2017
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/07/dam_to_be_refurbished_at_minsi.html

THAT SUCKS...
THEY DID IT TO WHITE OAK LAST YEAR and IT WAS LIKE THEY TORE THE HEART FROM ME...
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 06:48:19 AM »

Offline redblur00

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 06:54:26 AM »
This is getting ridiculous already up here 1st was lower woods it's a meadow now loved that place. Then white oak and Miller's pond. Pecks pond and soon Belmont and mins I. When are theses idiots Guna get a clue nowhr to fish no license sold. Do away with the stupid trout and fix some dams is my thoughts.

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 06:56:16 AM »
X1000,,EVAN!!!!!!!!
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 07:54:22 AM »
This is getting ridiculous already up here 1st was lower woods it's a meadow now loved that place. Then white oak and Miller's pond. Pecks pond and soon Belmont and mins I. When are theses idiots Guna get a clue nowhr to fish no license sold. Do away with the stupid trout and fix some dams is my thoughts.

Hey, easy on the "stupid trout" talk!  ;)

But I agree with you this is getting ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can you kill a half dozen lakes in one region at the same time????????????  How bout fixing a few before you kill the next couple lakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline firewoodflash

• Ice Man
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 12:03:57 PM »
just a thought, now with all of our engineering technology and advancements in construction, one would think that yhere is an alternate to draining a lake to rebuild a dam. now i am not an engineer by any means, but i imagine a coffer dam constructed from piling would be sufficient to hold back the water while the dam is under construction. just lookat the susky at wyoming valley. the piling on the dike stands up to much greater stress than a small 10 ft deep lake. so why cant pgfc build a dam of piling in front of the dam to be repaired and never have the need to drain it? 

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 12:03:57 PM »

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 02:15:36 PM »
That alternative (or a similar one) has been suggested. The problem is always the same; the powers to be just view it as an additional cost compared to draining a lake. The only benefit  for some will be they are going to do some kind of "fish salvage" project and put them in Brady's.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 02:15:36 PM »